Best computer for photo editing and storage?

Posted 25th Oct
What computer would anyone recommend to edit photos with - mine is ancient so need to get a new one and have no idea where to start.

thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

18 Comments
Sorry I’m a novice -
not sure tower or desktop
budget £800

not sure what to look for re graphics etc

thanks
emmasea25/10/2019 17:17

Sorry I’m a novice - not sure tower or desktopbudget £800not sure what to l …Sorry I’m a novice - not sure tower or desktopbudget £800not sure what to look for re graphics etcthanks

Anything will do. You're not doing anything demanding if your computer has become 'ancient' before you've needed to replace it so it's just a case of getting something with enough storage.

Graphics card would only matter in terms of screen compatibility, photo editing programs generally use the CPU rather than the graphics processor (the latter is more for real time graphics rather than editing recorded graphics).
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 25th Oct
thank you!
emmasea25/10/2019 17:17

Sorry I’m a novice - not sure tower or desktopbudget £800not sure what to l …Sorry I’m a novice - not sure tower or desktopbudget £800not sure what to look for re graphics etcthanks

Struth, low-end photo-ed? Swap-out the existing HDD with a £20 SSD. Job done. If the user wants to be flamboyant, throw some more RAM at it. Have a party with the £550 saved.
So I have an old dell with windows xp!! So that’s why I was going to buy a new pc as this one is about 8 years old maybe more?
I am a very keen photographer and have recently invested in some really good kit so just want to upgrade my old pc
Why you have to be rude beats me - probably likes to belittle people
emmasea25/10/2019 20:41

Whoa there! Who are you talking about emmasea? I really hope it's not me?

If it is then I can only apologise as I tried to offer assistance with little to nothing to go on. I will remove my comments forthwith and I hope others can guide you further.

Kind regards, Phsy.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 25th Oct
If you scroll down a bit on this page, there are some guides about what to look for in a PC for photo editing.
punchtechnology.co.uk/bes…op/
I haven't read them properly but it looks like there might be some useful tips to glean; eg. a fancy graphics card may not be a priority for most.
Maybe the best place to start from is actually the software you intend using; the above site seems to assume an up-to-date version of Photoshop or Lightroom which are probably quite demanding and expensive items of software. This site looks like it might explain differences and suggest alternatives re. photo processing software :
creativebloq.com/fea…hop
My experience is very limited. I've only got an old version of Photoshop; it's matched by a PC with an old i5 processor and 8GB RAM and an SSD. That seems to have been working OK with 20MP pictures I've been working on recently. If I was serious about photography, I'd probably be looking for a better monitor (or maybe two); I'd want USB3 on my PC to take full advantage of speed of external drives; maybe a card reader in the PC; I'd probably fancy having a go with a graphics tablet too. And so on. Such things could quickly eat into one's budget One thing I will say for my PC is that it is quiet.
In terms of value for money PCs, on hotukdeals there's regularly mention of some model or other from a company called itzoo who offer refurbished machines. I note that they also offer "workstations" which may come already with more RAM and room for various upgrades. Or another possible consideration could be an imac :
photographylife.com/how…phy
Quick look there seems to reiterate suggestion from first site that single-core speed on the CPU is most important and gpu speed less so currently with the Adobe products.
emmasea25/10/2019 20:41

I can't see anyone being rude, only giving advice with a sense of humour which you might have misconstrued.
emmasea25/10/2019 19:58

So I have an old dell with windows xp!! So that’s why I was going to buy a …So I have an old dell with windows xp!! So that’s why I was going to buy a new pc as this one is about 8 years old maybe more?

emmasea25/10/2019 19:59

I am a very keen photographer and have recently invested in some really …I am a very keen photographer and have recently invested in some really good kit so just want to upgrade my old pc

The two most informative posts in the entire thread.
If you don't want to go down the upgrade route, any new PC and virtually every current refurbished PC will suit your implied minimalist requirement. You may wish to invest more in a decent monitor rather than a PC to best display the fruits of your new kit, or maybe you already have a decent monitor / suitable high-res TV? We don't know, cos nobody's told us.
chrisjackson25/10/2019 21:37

If you scroll down a bit on this page, there are some guides about what to …If you scroll down a bit on this page, there are some guides about what to look for in a PC for photo editing.https://www.punchtechnology.co.uk/best-pcs-photography-editing-photoshop/I haven't read them properly but it looks like there might be some useful tips to glean; eg. a fancy graphics card may not be a priority for most.Maybe the best place to start from is actually the software you intend using; the above site seems to assume an up-to-date version of Photoshop or Lightroom which are probably quite demanding and expensive items of software. This site looks like it might explain differences and suggest alternatives re. photo processing software :https://www.creativebloq.com/features/lightroom-vs-photoshopMy experience is very limited. I've only got an old version of Photoshop; it's matched by a PC with an old i5 processor and 8GB RAM and an SSD. That seems to have been working OK with 20MP pictures I've been working on recently. If I was serious about photography, I'd probably be looking for a better monitor (or maybe two); I'd want USB3 on my PC to take full advantage of speed of external drives; maybe a card reader in the PC; I'd probably fancy having a go with a graphics tablet too. And so on. Such things could quickly eat into one's budget One thing I will say for my PC is that it is quiet.In terms of value for money PCs, on hotukdeals there's regularly mention of some model or other from a company called itzoo who offer refurbished machines. I note that they also offer "workstations" which may come already with more RAM and room for various upgrades. Or another possible consideration could be an imac :https://photographylife.com/how-to-buy-imac-for-photographyQuick look there seems to reiterate suggestion from first site that single-core speed on the CPU is most important and gpu speed less so currently with the Adobe products.

Thank you so much for your help - it was very informative - I will now research which software I should get then start from there - usb 3 I have never even thought about but sounds like a really good idea - thank you !
AndyRoyd25/10/2019 22:31

The two most informative posts in the entire thread.If you don't want to …The two most informative posts in the entire thread.If you don't want to go down the upgrade route, any new PC and virtually every current refurbished PC will suit your implied minimalist requirement. You may wish to invest more in a decent monitor rather than a PC to best display the fruits of your new kit, or maybe you already have a decent monitor / suitable high-res TV? We don't know, cos nobody's told us.

That’s a good point- unfortunately my monitor is as old and rubbish as my computer - thank you
philedsch25/10/2019 21:46

I can't see anyone being rude, only giving advice with a sense of humour …I can't see anyone being rude, only giving advice with a sense of humour which you might have misconstrued.

Maybe I meant condescending - unnecessary. But he has removed the comment.
Would you consider assamble yourself?
Not the answer I was expecting I thought that self builds (is that the term?) are generally for computer enthusiasts looking for maximum configuration with the most current components (and most commonly gamers lusting after the latest graphics card )? I guess self build versions of some of the fancy PCs in the first link I gave might be an attractive option. Then again might not those PCs be overkill for the OP; the more so if the budget is to cover a nice monitor and external storage?

More waffle from me. Pity about that bit of friction. Don't think anyone on this thread set out with any ill intent. Niggles can so easily morph into barbs or be seen as such. Now realise in my post I twice underlined a point EndlessWave had already made about graphics cards; oops sorry
PCPartPicker Part List: uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…WDx

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor (£167.58 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG M9 Plus 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler (£25.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£86.78 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£56.60 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£32.99 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB Phoenix OC Video Card (£145.38 @ Aria PC)
Case: GameMax Silent ATX Mid Tower Case (£55.13 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II EVO 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£55.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £685.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-26 19:13 BST+0100

Something like this
Get a cheap Windows license key from ebay.
Edited by: "Cisco060606" 26th Oct
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants