Groups

Best computer for photoshop, after effects, video editing etc???

Does anyone know which computer would be able to run these types of programs the most fluently. I am going to uni next year and i will be looking to make a profession out of video editing and production. Therefore, i will use my spare time to become better with these programs which , i think, requires quite a powerful computer. I am mainly looking for a computer that will be able to run Sony Vegas, 100% fluently

Can anyone recommend one for me?

Thanks

21 Comments

Any Mac I'd imagine, but I use Photoshop on a Dell laptop and it manages just fine.

spider1986;7303952

Any Mac I'd imagine, but I use Photoshop on a Dell laptop and it manages … Any Mac I'd imagine, but I use Photoshop on a Dell laptop and it manages just fine.

There you go - what more do you need :?

Original Poster

DAMNOME;7303965

There you go - what more do you need :?

Do any of you know if video editing software will run smoothly on a mac?

we realy need to know a budget to advise

Original Poster

Ropster;7303980

we realy need to know a budget to advise

oh right...max im willing to spend is around £800 :thumbsup:

my video editing machine cost £160 but i went all out on it and got a Blu Ray Burner.

If you get a mac then you have the bonus of being able to use apple motion.

MinstrelMan;7304044

my video editing machine cost £160 but i went all out on it and got a Blu … my video editing machine cost £160 but i went all out on it and got a Blu Ray Burner.If you get a mac then you have the bonus of being able to use apple motion.

£160.00 :thinking:

sorry........ x 10

for £800 you could get a nice dell XPS Studio with a 20inch monitor, do the job a treat

I'd be looking at a Core i7 with a decent amount of ram (6Gb+) - I'm currently using a Core i7 940 (2.93Ghz) with 8GB ram for Sony Vegas and photoshop. Although it still takes a while for video rendering, it's very fast for what it's doing as I'm normally working with AVCHD. The Core i7 processor is a native quad core with hyperthreading enabled allowing each core to execute up to two threads per cycle (eight over the whole processor) which makes its multithreading performance extremely impressive. However it's also a strong processor for single threaded tasks as it can overclock itself if only one or two or the cores are active.

John

Original Poster

Ropster;7304281

for £800 you could get a nice dell XPS Studio with a 20inch monitor, do … for £800 you could get a nice dell XPS Studio with a 20inch monitor, do the job a treat

Thanks will take a look :thumbsup:

Johnmcl7;7304477

I'd be looking at a Core i7 with a decent amount of ram (6Gb+) - I'm … I'd be looking at a Core i7 with a decent amount of ram (6Gb+) - I'm currently using a Core i7 940 (2.93Ghz) with 8GB ram for Sony Vegas and photoshop. Although it still takes a while for video rendering, it's very fast for what it's doing as I'm normally working with AVCHD. The Core i7 processor is a native quad core with hyperthreading enabled allowing each core to execute up to two threads per cycle (eight over the whole processor) which makes its multithreading performance extremely impressive. However it's also a strong processor for single threaded tasks as it can overclock itself if only one or two or the cores are active.John

wow..thanks for the load of information. Very helpful cheers :thumbsup:

Original Poster

dcx_badass;7305307

An I7 and even 4GB ram will be fine, and two hard drives.I still use a … An I7 and even 4GB ram will be fine, and two hard drives.I still use a Pentium D 3.00ghz with 3GB ram for Premiere Pro, and it runs slowly when rendering but fine normally, and that's about 10000x slower than an I7. £800 is easily enough for an I7 machine. Also fluently is the wrong word.

ok thanks i will check it out. And fluently can be used in this context :thumbsup:

I use Macbook pro and run CS4 and Final Cut pro with ease.

Do you want a laptop or desktop?
    The best CPU at the moment for desktops or laptops for multimedia work is easily the Intel Core i7. You can buy either format with a PC for under £800 but not for Mac.

The Dell Studio 15 laptop with an i7 is £664 delivered using the voucher LGP?PXR7ZJG4FC – Dell. Go via Quidco ot Topcashback for another 3% off.

For desktops there will be a lot more choice but one is the Dell Studio XPS 8000 for £569 using the same voucher as above. You can upgrade from 4 to 8GB for £76 which is worth considering.

Get a MacBook & use the Education discount

livingthelife07;7313586

Get a MacBook & use the Education discount

It's a very poor CPU for serious multi-media work though.

Macs are the tools of choice for many (but not all) pros, they're not cheap but you can get big discounts as a uni student though the Apple higher education store.

Problem is that there isn't a native version of Sony Vegas for mac, although you can run it through boot camp or VMWare Fusion/Parallels Desktop.

megalomaniac;7313640

Macs are the tools of choice for many (but not all) pros, they're not … Macs are the tools of choice for many (but not all) pros, they're not cheap but you can get big discounts as a uni student though the Apple higher education store.Problem is that there isn't a native version of Sony Vegas for mac, although you can run it through boot camp or VMWare Fusion/Parallels Desktop.

The OP didn’t ask for MAC and as you say Vegas is PC only so when you combine that with the £800 budget a PC is the only platform that makes sense. Graphics and Video love Quad Cores which means £1600+ for a MAC.

Agharta;7313672

The OP didn’t ask for MAC and as you say Vegas is PC only so when you c … The OP didn’t ask for MAC and as you say Vegas is PC only so when you combine that with the £800 budget a PC is the only platform that makes sense. Graphics and Video love Quad Cores which means £1600+ for a MAC.

No he said "computer" (last time I checked that was a generic term not specific to Windows) and that he wants to make a "profession" out of it, many pros use Macs :thumbsup:.

But you're right £800 won't get you much in Mac land.

megalomaniac;7313716

No he said "computer" (last time I checked that was a generic term not … No he said "computer" (last time I checked that was a generic term not specific to Windows). But you're right £800 won't get you much in Mac land.

Which is why it seemed futile to recommend a Mac given the parameters given. :thinking:
    If you need/want Mac then go for it otherwise you get much more bang for your buck with a Quad core Windows system for multimedia work. The cheapest Mac Quad is £1,600 although it does come with a 27” screen. Still, you can buy a faster Core i7 Windows desktop for £570 which gives you over a grand to spend on your monitor. :w00t:

Original Poster

Wow didn't meant to start a brawl lol

but honestly all of your advice is extremely helpful, thanks a bunch :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. sky q is it a good deal?55
      2. Speccing a gaming pc37
      3. help: windows 10 wifi issue55
      4. Best IPTV Paid service?1721

See more discussions