Best Console to Buy for Mother who loves Puzzle/Platformer games?

Posted 19th Jan
Hi all.

So, my Mother is currently playing Puzzle/Platformer games on a Ps3, hooked up to a fantastic 65" 4K TV.

She really enjoys Abe/Munch Oddysea games, Spyro, Puzzle and platformer games in general. She doesn't really play Shooter or Racing games.

Which newer console would be the best to get her? I'm thinking an Xbox one X, as it's currently £270 brand new (in comparison to a Ps4 at £200, Ps4 Pro £300, Switch £250-300). The gamepass is also great to have a good selection of games from the get go.

But is there a particular console that just genuinely has better Puzzle/Platformer games?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
To me I say the zx Spectrum has loads woops sorry try again I go for Nintendo Switch loads of puzzles on their eshop online for mainly lighter people for playing get Ring Fit brill game keeps you fit. PS4 is a better machine bit I stick to Nintendo Mario Kart she will love this more fun. Animal Crossing best for my puzzle coming out soon.
Xbox with game pass would be a great combination for her. Huge catalogue of games
Edited by: "_Whatever_" 19th Jan
_Whatever_19/01/2020 16:32

Xbox with game pass would be a great combination for her. Huge catalogue …Xbox with game pass would be a great combination for her. Huge catalogue of games

Yeah that's what I'm thinking.
Definitely Xbox and Game Pass. Unless you're going to use it yourself, is there any need for the X? Just pick up the disc-less S model.
McShane119/01/2020 16:43

Definitely Xbox and Game Pass. Unless you're going to use it yourself, is …Definitely Xbox and Game Pass. Unless you're going to use it yourself, is there any need for the X? Just pick up the disc-less S model.

Only problem with the all digital version, is not being able to get cheap pre owned games to play on it. Forced to pay for digital prices for games which are sometimes overpriced.
Thanks for your input guys.

Went ahead and got the £270 Xbox one X from TheGameCollection before the discount runs out tonight.

Also got her a copy of Spyro reignited triology, as that was her favourite games on Ps1.

Hopefully she will love it and get used to the X/Y/A/B controls.

Failing everything else I'm sure someone on ebay/gumtree would buy it off me for £250 like new.
Edited by: "ArcAndPie" 19th Jan
Personally i would have gone for something retro. The best puzzle/platformers are all old stuff.
m1keyp1key19/01/2020 18:03

Personally i would have gone for something retro. The best …Personally i would have gone for something retro. The best puzzle/platformers are all old stuff.

She does like the older games on Ps1 etc, but sadly on her lovely 65" 4K tv.. the pixels... well, it becomes a big eye strain.

I'm sure with a bit of a push she can move onto a new generation aha... maybe. We shall see! Like I said above, if she doesnt like it or doesnt use it, I'll just reset it and box it up and smack it on gumtree for £250. With brand new ones being £349+ currently (except the game collection deal which I bought from) I'm sure someone would pick it up for that.
My mum use to love the old tomb raider games and that era but she couldn't get into the ps3 or xbox found it to realistic and much prefers the switch.
smoose8920/01/2020 11:04

My mum use to love the old tomb raider games and that era but she couldn't …My mum use to love the old tomb raider games and that era but she couldn't get into the ps3 or xbox found it to realistic and much prefers the switch.

My mum says that about horror games nowadays

Loves the old resident evil/silent hill games, but I once played the RE2 remake with her and she was terrified with how realistic it is haha.

And then shocked to think kids are playing it.

I suppose it's a generation thing. If I was a kid playing it I would think it looked awesome!
Definetly sounds the same as my mum. I would always have to do the bosses for her. You must lose controller reaction speed as you get older.
smoose8920/01/2020 11:35

You must lose controller reaction speed as you get older.

Sadly this is true, I'm not nearly as good at games like Mega Man on the NES as I used to be 30 years ago
Edited by: "Gormond" 20th Jan
smoose8920/01/2020 11:35

Definetly sounds the same as my mum. I would always have to do the bosses …Definetly sounds the same as my mum. I would always have to do the bosses for her. You must lose controller reaction speed as you get older.

100% true.

Theres a reason most pro gamers are under the age of 30.
ArcAndPie20/01/2020 13:07

100% true.Theres a reason most pro gamers are under the age of 30.

Luckily single player games have gotten much easier than they used to be - Well with the exception of Dark Souls type games.
Gormond20/01/2020 13:23

Luckily single player games have gotten much easier than they used to be - …Luckily single player games have gotten much easier than they used to be - Well with the exception of Dark Souls type games.

Yes, although, I swear Crash Bandicoot wasn't as difficult... the remake was quite tricky.

Oh god.. am I getting old?
Edited by: "ArcAndPie" 20th Jan
ArcAndPie20/01/2020 13:24

Yes, although, I swear Crash Bandicoot wasn't as difficult.. Oh god.. am I …Yes, although, I swear Crash Bandicoot wasn't as difficult.. Oh god.. am I getting old?

Yeah Crash Bandicoot is pretty solid, certainly tougher than NDs newer games.

I really need to pick up the remake, might grab it for the Switch if I see it cheap.
ArcAndPie20/01/2020 13:07

100% true.Theres a reason most pro gamers are under the age of 30.

True and zero responsibility helps
Check out the Lego games, good mix of puzzles and platforming. There are loads of them and, so long as you don't get the absolute latest ones, they're usually very available very cheap.

As for best consoles, Nintendo consoles have Nintendo made platformers which are pretty much the best you can get, especially if you want 'traditional' platformers. The PS4/XBox one have a wider catalogue and cheaper e-stores though.
Ori and the Blind Forest along with the upcoming Ori and the Will of the Wisps are essential
Rare Replay for the nostalgia
Voodoo Vince Remastered for the same reason as above.
Super Lucky's Tale is a charming and colourful platformer.
The upcoming Psychonauts 2.
'Splosion Man games which are backwards compatible.
Kalimba and Max: The Curse of Brotherhood by Press Play.
Cobalt by Oxeye Game Studio.
Battle Princess Madelyn.
Cuphead if she is brave enough

The above games are either exclusive or synonymous with the Xbox One
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants