Best cooling pad for gaming laptops.

Found 26th Jun
Just wondering what the best cooking pads are for gaming laptops since the CPU’s get hot on them and especially mine since with fans at Mac cpu is around 90 degrees and without fans on max can go to 96 which is near the 100 limit. I have a cooling pad atm but it doesn’t seem to do much, maybe knock off 2-4 degrees.
Community Updates
AskGaming Laptop
17 Comments
Cooling pads won't do anything bar waste power from your USB port.

This is the same thing as the third-party fans in the X360 days - they do nothing but cause more power to be drawn.

The fact is, the OEM HAS to integrate a cooling system that will keep the components cool. In other words, the cooling system built in will do it's job no need for extra junk that will do nothing.

You'd be better simply taking it apart and potentially replacing the thermal paste.

Also, 90 degrees seems... too hot. Have you taken a reading directly via BIOS? Software based monitoring can be off.

You'd be better to look at your model of CPU to see what sort of temperatures are normal. If it's any consolation, my iMac 5k with a 6700k i7 reaches around the 80 to 85 degrees mark as dicatated by Coretemp.
M0nk3h1 h, 7 m ago

Cooling pads won't do anything bar waste power from your USB port.This is …Cooling pads won't do anything bar waste power from your USB port.This is the same thing as the third-party fans in the X360 days - they do nothing but cause more power to be drawn.The fact is, the OEM HAS to integrate a cooling system that will keep the components cool. In other words, the cooling system built in will do it's job no need for extra junk that will do nothing.You'd be better simply taking it apart and potentially replacing the thermal paste.Also, 90 degrees seems... too hot. Have you taken a reading directly via BIOS? Software based monitoring can be off.You'd be better to look at your model of CPU to see what sort of temperatures are normal. If it's any consolation, my iMac 5k with a 6700k i7 reaches around the 80 to 85 degrees mark as dicatated by Coretemp.

No I haven’t looked at the bios as I can only see the temps when gaming as that’ll show the cpu temps when it’s been used to its full extent. I will download HSmonitor and see what they say on that but the laptop top left corner where I used W etc to move are very hot, the temps have read up to 96 before. The cpu is a i7 8850h which says max is 100. I also paid for the better thermal paste when customising the laptop specs
Danjw915 h, 54 m ago

No I haven’t looked at the bios as I can only see the temps when gaming as …No I haven’t looked at the bios as I can only see the temps when gaming as that’ll show the cpu temps when it’s been used to its full extent. I will download HSmonitor and see what they say on that but the laptop top left corner where I used W etc to move are very hot, the temps have read up to 96 before. The cpu is a i7 8850h which says max is 100. I also paid for the better thermal paste when customising the laptop specs

I would say it's the igpu causing the heat to rise. Pretty sure your cpu is rated to 100c so it's in spec. Is the fan loud when reaching these temperatures ?
kester761 h, 29 m ago

I would say it's the igpu causing the heat to rise. Pretty sure your cpu …I would say it's the igpu causing the heat to rise. Pretty sure your cpu is rated to 100c so it's in spec. Is the fan loud when reaching these temperatures ?

Well my GPU states it’s not above 75c. Well they’re on maximum so pretty load but quiet for on max
Danjw912 h, 6 m ago

Well my GPU states it’s not above 75c. Well they’re on maximum so pretty lo …Well my GPU states it’s not above 75c. Well they’re on maximum so pretty load but quiet for on max

Depends if it's a separate gpu, the hd630 is built into the cpu so shares the same heatsink.
Danjw919 h, 40 m ago

No I haven’t looked at the bios as I can only see the temps when gaming as …No I haven’t looked at the bios as I can only see the temps when gaming as that’ll show the cpu temps when it’s been used to its full extent. I will download HSmonitor and see what they say on that but the laptop top left corner where I used W etc to move are very hot, the temps have read up to 96 before. The cpu is a i7 8850h which says max is 100. I also paid for the better thermal paste when customising the laptop specs

If it's on max load, gaming etc, then I'd say those sort of temps are acceptable really - you have nothing to worry about.

If you were getting 90 idle I'd argue you've got more to worry about but you're gaming so the temps are bound to shoot up.
M0nk3h6 m ago

If it's on max load, gaming etc, then I'd say those sort of temps are …If it's on max load, gaming etc, then I'd say those sort of temps are acceptable really - you have nothing to worry about.If you were getting 90 idle I'd argue you've got more to worry about but you're gaming so the temps are bound to shoot up.

Oh ye it’s under load. I have built my own desktop etc and know the temps but since my desktop is water cooled and cpu is at 65 average but this cpu in my laptop is 96 sometimes unless fans on max then drops to around 90 but that’s running games maxed out settings
kester7616 m ago

Depends if it's a separate gpu, the hd630 is built into the cpu so shares …Depends if it's a separate gpu, the hd630 is built into the cpu so shares the same heatsink.

I cant imagine it is at it is an I7 8850H with a GTX 1070. I know laptops get hotter than pcs but since it got close to the max 100c then thought I’d try a better fan cooling pad but it’s doesnt do a major a lot to help cool it down.
Temperature alone is meaningless, you need clock speed too.

If it's hitting 96°C while still at nominal frequencies (or turbo boost!) then that's fine. That's the way the laptop designer has set the system up to operate and it's nothing to worry about.

If it's heavily throttling and 96°C you might have something to worry about.
Danjw915 h, 45 m ago

I cant imagine it is at it is an I7 8850H with a GTX 1070. I know laptops …I cant imagine it is at it is an I7 8850H with a GTX 1070. I know laptops get hotter than pcs but since it got close to the max 100c then thought I’d try a better fan cooling pad but it’s doesnt do a major a lot to help cool it down.

I think most of the coffee lake chips have crap thermal paste instead of solder between the chip and lid. One of the reasons why everyone is delidding them. Have you looked into undervolting the CPU ?
kester7615 m ago

I think most of the coffee lake chips have crap thermal paste instead of …I think most of the coffee lake chips have crap thermal paste instead of solder between the chip and lid. One of the reasons why everyone is delidding them. Have you looked into undervolting the CPU ?

I havent no, I don’t really want to undervolt it. As said, when I runs fans at max it puts it between 86c and 94c so it’s not too bad but I’d rather my fans wear out faster than the CPU but if it’s max is 100c then technically it’s going to be 105c as they would run test and the max they get they would lower it for a safety margin.
Danjw9149 m ago

I havent no, I don’t really want to undervolt it. As said, when I runs f …I havent no, I don’t really want to undervolt it. As said, when I runs fans at max it puts it between 86c and 94c so it’s not too bad but I’d rather my fans wear out faster than the CPU but if it’s max is 100c then technically it’s going to be 105c as they would run test and the max they get they would lower it for a safety margin.

Undervolting would lower the CPU temps, prevent throttling and saves on battery, not sure why this would be a problem.
kester7643 m ago

Undervolting would lower the CPU temps, prevent throttling and saves on …Undervolting would lower the CPU temps, prevent throttling and saves on battery, not sure why this would be a problem.

Well I got it for gaming so undervolting it would lower performance, that’s just my issue. Since intel told me the max is 100 and mines average 90 then I’ll be happy to leave them. Only stated the thread to see if anyone recommended a really good cooler
Danjw913 h, 8 m ago

Well I got it for gaming so undervolting it would lower performance, …Well I got it for gaming so undervolting it would lower performance, that’s just my issue. Since intel told me the max is 100 and mines average 90 then I’ll be happy to leave them. Only stated the thread to see if anyone recommended a really good cooler

Undervolting just lowers the amount of voltage going into it. Better binned cpus will run at lower voltages with no performance loss. The less voltage you put in the cooler the cpu runs.
kester7650 m ago

Undervolting just lowers the amount of voltage going into it. Better …Undervolting just lowers the amount of voltage going into it. Better binned cpus will run at lower voltages with no performance loss. The less voltage you put in the cooler the cpu runs.

34162101-6gepL.jpg
Thats all I can see anyway regarding the cpu
Edited by: "Danjw91" 27th Jun
Danjw9139 m ago

[Image] Thats all I can see anyway regarding the cpu

No idea how to do it, just aware that it's possible to lower the voltages on cpu and gpu to reduce heat.
kester7618 m ago

No idea how to do it, just aware that it's possible to lower the voltages …No idea how to do it, just aware that it's possible to lower the voltages on cpu and gpu to reduce heat.

Ye it’s showing different to my desktop as it states the voltage etc. Anyway, thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants