Best courier which covers batteries? Need to send a impact driver

Found 1st Dec 2016
Morning everything,

Can anyone recommend a courier which accepts batteries?

I need to send an impact driver which has a battery with it. I've checked out Royal Mail and they are very expensive due to the weight.

UPS and MyHermes which are reasonable prices prohibit batteries. I want to ensure the parcel is covered although the value is only £75.

Thanks in advance.

10 Comments

Most couriers will accept lithium batteries if the battery is connected to the equipment. If it's being sent loose is when they get fussy about them.

Original Poster

preecey

Most couriers will accept lithium batteries if the battery is connected … Most couriers will accept lithium batteries if the battery is connected to the equipment. If it's being sent loose is when they get fussy about them.

I've spoke with UPS and they said they don't accept them full stop nor do MyHermes. I know Royal Mail do accept some types if they are packaged well but they are too expensive due to the weight of the parcel. I don't know what other courier do.

joshp

I've spoke with UPS and they said they don't accept them full stop nor do … I've spoke with UPS and they said they don't accept them full stop nor do MyHermes. I know Royal Mail do accept some types if they are packaged well but they are too expensive due to the weight of the parcel. I don't know what other courier do.

I would check with their HQ and get that in writing; I've had a post office counter "computer says no" a-hole refuse a parcel containing a phone, and when I queried POHQ they said as above, only detached batteries are not allowed, equipment containing batteries is perfectly OK.

i have sent plenty via myhermes, always attached to the item im selling.

joshp

I've spoke with UPS and they said they don't accept them full stop nor do … I've spoke with UPS and they said they don't accept them full stop nor do MyHermes. I know Royal Mail do accept some types if they are packaged well but they are too expensive due to the weight of the parcel. I don't know what other courier do.

It seems bizarre for them to prohibit lithium batteries altogether. They must be losing an awful lot of custom because of that.

AS long as the battery is connected to the item its legal. So they should all be able to accept it.
Edited by: "getmeone" 1st Dec 2016

Original Poster

Gentle_Giant

I would check with their HQ and get that in writing; I've had a post … I would check with their HQ and get that in writing; I've had a post office counter "computer says no" a-hole refuse a parcel containing a phone, and when I queried POHQ they said as above, only detached batteries are not allowed, equipment containing batteries is perfectly OK.

preecey

It seems bizarre for them to prohibit lithium batteries altogether. They … It seems bizarre for them to prohibit lithium batteries altogether. They must be losing an awful lot of custom because of that.

Thanks, I've just been back onto them and they've said I can send them providing it never leaves the ground i.e. UK to UK. I don't think the other guy knew what he was talking about, in fairness he said originally I couldn't send an impact driver as engines were prohibited X)

It does say in their prohibited items batteries but I assume that is sending them alone then.... it all seems a bit vague but I will keep a copy of the chat transcript.

gm8dwj

i have sent plenty via myhermes, always attached to the item im selling.

I understand that it go should fine however if I needed to claim compensation ect... then they could always refuse on that basis and from what I've heard MyHermes likely would decline. I always like to ensure I'm covered when using couriers.

Edited by: "joshp" 1st Dec 2016

Some light reading.
ADR ECE/TRANS/225 (Vol. I) and ECE/TRANS/225 (Vol. II).

Original Poster

getmeone

Some light reading.ADR ECE/TRANS/225 (Vol. I) and ECE/TRANS/225 (Vol. II).

Thanks.

I thought it was more the case of policy rather than legality i.e. if you don't follow their policy they have grounds to refuse compensation should the need arise.

The capacity of battery also plays an important role the battery on phone is far smaller than u would have on drill etc
DHL run a surface service and special routes
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Charge Back From A Betting Account1010
    2. Christmas presents47
    3. PayPal Friends and Family Payment reversal options711
    4. printing pictures45

See more discussions