Best dehumidifier to combat damp in house

Posted 3rd Dec
Constantly get damp in the house and looking for a dehumidifier - are there any recommendations? Have no idea where to start! Budget of £120/£130 max.

Thanks in advance!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
Prevention is better than cure. Solve the problem that is causing the damp, don’t waste money on a dehumidifier when simply opening two windows slightly for a few hours a day might be best.
We might sound a bit stuck up, when we suggest things like find the problem, we don't mean any harm, it's just the written word has no inflection behind it.
Do you have an idea of what's causing the damp, a normal house shouldn't have it.
I don't have an extractor in my bathroom, so after a shower I leave the door open, no damp!
I set my heating on to about 18 degrees during the day (when the house is empty), do you?
Edited by: "esar" 3rd Dec
Bought one of these Inventor dehumidifiers about 6 weeks ago for £160 and price now £129.99.
Was used to speed the drying/curing of a newly laid concrete conservatory floor.
Worked brilliantly and was taking about 2 litres of water out overnight.
Previously had an Ebac but didn't want to spend a lot of money as will only get occasional use now floor is sorted. This one performed as well as if not better than the Ebac which was about £350 !
Exact model is Inventor EVA-II PRO 20L per Day Dehumidifier, Laundry-Dryer.
Maybe a bit of a gimmick but it has a clothes drying mode.

The online review is not great but states:-

On the plus side, it removed an awful lot ofmoisture and the tank was very easy to empty

As our general moisture levels in house are coming from gas cooking, showering etc I will still get a reasonable usage from it so money well spent.
Certainly don`t open windows on a damp day , currys essentials dehumidifier does a perfectly good job for £99 or screwfix have an Ariston for the same money .
I think I paid £119 for each for 2 of them 1 up and 1 down both pull a good amount of water. But they don’t stop all the damp, my bathroom still gets mould on the ceiling, what the needs washing and repainting that’s after we fitted an extractor fan as well..
My house has old, mostly blown, double glazing, so when frosty outside, the inner windows all have water droplets I need to clean in the morning, also gets damp around the front door. I know the problem is old glazing, and radiators are on keeping the inside nice and warm. Dehumidifiers certainly help clear most of the damp in the air, and dry clothes I can’t put outside at this time of year, and I don’t want to get a tumble dryer.

I got mine from screwfix quite a few years ago, was called WDH-122H-12R 12Ltr Dehumidifier.

They work better when there’s a bit of heat circulating, doesn’t work very well below 10 degrees, although says will work at 5 degrees.
If you are drying clothes indoors and not prepared to ventilate your house enough, the a dehumidifier is your only solution. Think of it that a tumble dryer is like a dehumidifier plus clothes dryer, so win win. Obviously a tumble dryer won't deal with steam generated through cooking or baths and showers, or condensation by breathing. What you need to understand is the difference between damp and condensation, and as said previously it's better to deal with the cause than just trying to deal with the effect.
Plenty on both hukd & internet in terms of advice that doesn't need repeating.use search.
Getting the glass replaced might be an option
We've had two of these now amazon.co.uk/Eco…8SY and they're great, they also give off a bit of heat too.
Our last flat had a leak and the landlord got us one. When we moved we bought another and use it in a small spare room to dry clothes, never need to put the heating on in that room when it's running.
The price does go down on amazon I got it for 125 but its currently cheaper elsewhere.
We also get a lot of moisture in our house, Damp windows & slight mould around the window frame, I don’t think we have a damp issue but we do have a lot of wet washing so we purchased the EcoAir DC18 Compact Portable Dehumidifier, 18 L & has helped a lot
Edited by: "louloupop02" 3rd Dec
How much electricity does a dehumidifier use, compared to an actual tumble dryer, as it seems most people are getting damp from drying cloths indoors?
mikeportsmouth03/12/2019 05:46

Certainly don`t open windows on a damp day , currys essentials …Certainly don`t open windows on a damp day , currys essentials dehumidifier does a perfectly good job for £99 or screwfix have an Ariston for the same money .

Why? Cold air has far less moisture in it. I can get the humidity down from 80% to below 50% in a few minutes in my bedroom just by opening the windows in the morning. My £150 dehumidifier takes about 2 hours to achieve the same result
Bargainhead03/12/2019 05:56

I think I paid £119 for each for 2 of them 1 up and 1 down both pull a …I think I paid £119 for each for 2 of them 1 up and 1 down both pull a good amount of water. But they don’t stop all the damp, my bathroom still gets mould on the ceiling, what the needs washing and repainting that’s after we fitted an extractor fan as well..

Paint the ceiling with this. It wont go mouldy again

zinsseruk.com/pro…or/
esar03/12/2019 17:54

How much electricity does a dehumidifier use, compared to an actual tumble …How much electricity does a dehumidifier use, compared to an actual tumble dryer, as it seems most people are getting damp from drying cloths indoors?

Dehumidifier costs a lot more than an a+ rated tumble dryer and you don't have to have damp clothes lying around your house all day

Plus your clothes don't smell unlike air drying all day.
Edited by: "chocci" 4th Dec
chocci04/12/2019 06:05

Paint the ceiling with this. It wont go mouldy …Paint the ceiling with this. It wont go mouldy againhttps://www.zinsseruk.com/product/perma-white-interior/

Thank you...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants