Best device for plex media server, old laptop vs gigabyte brix?

Found 22nd Jan 2016
Hi guys,

I want a device to stream 1080p videos so I can connect remotely using my Macbook or something whilst away and watch the videos on my device.

Should I get a refurb laptop (£200) or a Brix (£90 + HDD).

For example,
hotukdeals.com/dea…e=2

or

amazon.co.uk/Gig…+pc

warehouse deals version is £73 with 4gb ram (£17) and a separate HDD.

Which is better purely for plex, might also get a 3tb just to backup my main machines to the device? I just want to keep costs down.
Community Updates
AskLaptopServer
17 Comments
Raspberry Pi 2 with HDD and install Rasplex

Another option for you. When it comes to Plex server, I would use something that uses the least electricity, which is why I would go with Raspberry Pi 2.

Why not look out for hp microserver on eBay? Allows future expansion and mine runs plex server perfectly.
Get a raspberry pi!
enigmatik33

Why not look out for hp microserver on eBay? Allows future expansion and … Why not look out for hp microserver on eBay? Allows future expansion and mine runs plex server perfectly.

Expensive, use more electricity, and generally overkill for what i need (something small)
adam_holcombe

Get a raspberry pi!

won't it lag on 1080p ?
trojanh

won't it lag on 1080p ?

Not at all.

Been using original model B (256MB) for a few years now!
n00dles0up

Raspberry Pi 2 with HDD and install RasplexAnother option for you. When … Raspberry Pi 2 with HDD and install RasplexAnother option for you. When it comes to Plex server, I would use something that uses the least electricity, which is why I would go with Raspberry Pi 2.

But the pi2 setup is going to cost about £50, for another £30 isn't it better to kit out a Gigabyte brix?
adam_holcombe

Not at all. Been using original model B (256MB) for a few years now!

I didn't know that! How come yours runs fine? how large are your files? google searches suggest to avoid the pi for plex, my files are only about 2-3gb, 1080p.
trojanh

But the pi2 setup is going to cost about £50, for another £30 isn't it b … But the pi2 setup is going to cost about £50, for another £30 isn't it better to kit out a Gigabyte brix?

That's 60% more expensive.. you can do pretty much anything with the Pi - mine's an automated torrent box and emulator too.
trojanh

But the pi2 setup is going to cost about £50, for another £30 isn't it b … But the pi2 setup is going to cost about £50, for another £30 isn't it better to kit out a Gigabyte brix?

Pi2 much smaller and uses less energy. Handles 1080p just fine. Something easy to start off with, Pi2 is easily sold on if you want to upgrade to something bigger and better.

If a Pi2 does exactly what you want, then why bother spending the extra now. Also, you can pick up some good second deals on ebay or HUKD FS/FT section.
adam_holcombe

That's 60% more expensive.. you can do pretty much anything with the Pi - … That's 60% more expensive.. you can do pretty much anything with the Pi - mine's an automated torrent box and emulator too.

Woah.. that's EXACTLY what I want to do, Automate Torrents, Watch videos. Can you tell me what i need to buy to get the pi up and running please?
trojanh

Woah.. that's EXACTLY what I want to do, Automate Torrents, Watch videos. … Woah.. that's EXACTLY what I want to do, Automate Torrents, Watch videos. Can you tell me what i need to buy to get the pi up and running please?

http://www.howtogeek.com/142044/how-to-turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-an-always-on-bittorrent-box/

and

Kodi on it
adam_holcombe

http://www.howtogeek.com/142044/how-to-turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-an-always-on-bittorrent-box/and Kodi on it

PERFECT. Thank you so much!

For the hardware to get this set up, do I just need the Pi 2 B (£25), a case (£2.5), SD card (£8) and a USB power supply (£10). How should i up the price, as I want to use my £10 off code
trojanh

PERFECT. Thank you so much!For the hardware to get this set up, do I just … PERFECT. Thank you so much!For the hardware to get this set up, do I just need the Pi 2 B (£25), a case (£2.5), SD card (£8) and a USB power supply (£10). How should i up the price, as I want to use my £10 off code

You don't need a case.
adam_holcombe

You don't need a case.

Aye, but for £2.60, worth the fact I can throw it around without shorting it, or keep it on carpet without static build up - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261996259243

Now I need to find a decent USB HDD.
enigmatik33

Why not look out for hp microserver on eBay? Allows future expansion and … Why not look out for hp microserver on eBay? Allows future expansion and mine runs plex server perfectly.

​This. A microserver works well, no hassles.
Another vote for pi2 i use kodi on mine from Openelec. http://openelec.tv/

Runs 10gb+ blu ray rips absolutely perfectly. I think the best set up is this plugged directly into an AV and letting the av do all the audio decoding.
Edited by: "Peter9588" 22nd Jan 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants