Best DSLR for beginners

Found 28th Jun
I have been using automatic for years, never use, never even hold a DSLR before. Now wanting to get into it (with knowing absolutely nothing) to take some decent photo. Which model would you suggest? and any introduction guide to dummy you could recommend?
Community Updates
13 Comments
You really do need to have a budget in mind.

Prepare to spend. What a choice you have today and that is just the short term. Longer term, if you get the habit, you will look back on a choice of camera that has low(er) cost lenses available as being a major feature of life. I went the Nikon route and that has been expensive if rewarding. Today, I could easily go Canon or Sony. So much depends on what photography is your style. Sport or Macro or Landscape or ..............

The Nikon D3xxx or D5xxx offerings are incredibly capable cameras. Many of the current (as in today's high street) models are just bi-annual gimmiky refreshes that offer poor value and the -1 or -2 version is far better value when being sold off cheap. I would always look at what's a bargain after getting closer to an ideal body. Take a peak at bythom.com for help in choosing Nikon kit.

Whichever route you go, this site will be invaluable for some preliminary price investigation. camerapricebuster.co.uk/
Edited by: "ccnp" 28th Jun
ccnp19 m ago

You really do need to have a budget in mind. Prepare to spend. What a …You really do need to have a budget in mind. Prepare to spend. What a choice you have today and that is just the short term. Longer term, if you get the habit, you will look back on a choice of camera that has low(er) cost lenses available as being a major feature of life. I went the Nikon route and that has been expensive if rewarding. Today, I could easily go Canon or Sony. So much depends on what photography is your style. Sport or Macro or Landscape or ..............The Nikon D3xxx or D5xxx offerings are incredibly capable cameras. Many of the current (as in today's high street) models are just bi-annual gimmiky refreshes that offer poor value and the -1 or -2 version is far better value when being sold off cheap. I would always look at what's a bargain after getting closer to an ideal body. Take a peak at www.bythom.com for help in choosing Nikon kit.Whichever route you go, this site will be invaluable for some preliminary price investigation. https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

Great advice and my first was Nikon too
Taking a great photo is more down not the photographer than the camera. I bought a canon 700d a few years ago with no clue what I was really doing! I got recommended this book Understanding exposure and it’s a really great help. If you go down the dslr route the bear in mind you will probably have to pay out for extra lenses depending on what you want to shoot. I have never owned one but I hear you can get some pretty decent bridge cameras that are great for zoom etc without the extra expense or hassle of carrying lenses aroun
danzab51 m ago

Taking a great photo is more down not the photographer than the camera. I …Taking a great photo is more down not the photographer than the camera. I bought a canon 700d a few years ago with no clue what I was really doing! I got recommended this book Understanding exposure and it’s a really great help. If you go down the dslr route the bear in mind you will probably have to pay out for extra lenses depending on what you want to shoot. I have never owned one but I hear you can get some pretty decent bridge cameras that are great for zoom etc without the extra expense or hassle of carrying lenses aroun

Agree with you although I have to say that having been spoiled rotten with a good DSLR, and taking mostly fast shutter sports pics with a long lens, I have yet to find a bridge camera that works for me. I had high hopes of the Nikon DL range until the binned it post launch but pre delivery. I have tried Fuji and Canon.
Sony A6000

I'm not sure you can go wrong with any of the usual brands on the market nowadays, I went through the same process and after many hours of research, they tend to all do pretty much the same thing,(unless you want 4k video and other jazzy stuff) so I just picked what was the best offer regardless of brand. I did change my mind on one thing though, I went for a mirrorless over a DSLR as I didn't want the bulk. As @ccnp says camerapricebuster.co.uk is a great tool.

Spend some time on youtube once you've found a camera, not necessarily the review videos as I find that some of the guys opinions on there can be a little too biased, but the how to vids, there's some really talented guys out there who share a lot of info.

Leave your camera in auto and change settings as you learn and it will give you more time to concentrate on the subject matter until you're a bit more confident, you'll get better pictures and it will help with lens choices later.
When I was younger I have a rubbish point and shoot I rarely used - a friend persuaded me to get a DLSR, and I actually ordered it from the U.S (NY has the best prices).
After that I really got into taking photos - this was the old 35mm days, Digital makes it so much easier.
Getting to know the Manual modes makes a big difference because when you get a DLSR you really want to shoot in RAW mode and then process the photos afterwards on the PC to get the best results.

Quality lenses make a big difference, the standard ones really aren't very good - if you want really sharp photos then you need a good quality lens. I did a photo shoot once and my friend had hired a £1100 lens and his shots were so much better using an older camera.

I recommend this book - very clear and helpful.
There is some really good info on the Mike Brown channel youtube.com/cha…e8Q He is rather fond of Fuji's though... I have an XT-1 but a lot of friends have Nikon's.
why do you want a dslr?
sounds like youve been using a point and shoot or a phone so the size may be off putting
what do you want to take pics off? just 'stuff' or wildlife/architechure etc too
whats your budget? do you fancy fiddling about changing lenses to suit different situations and scenes?
Pretty much all dslrs now are far more capable than the majority of users. One piece of advice id give is go and try them out somewhere. I’d done loads of research online and had decided to go the canon route but when testing found it just didn’t fit my hands. The Nikon d70 (yup it was a few years back) was a much better fit and I’ve never regretted that decision. It’s got to feel stable and comfortable in your hands. Be aware you’re likely to be buying into one manufacturers system where it’s tough (costly) to switch later on once you’ve got a few lenses, flash, batteries etc...
danzab28th Jun

Taking a great photo is more down not the photographer than the camera. I …Taking a great photo is more down not the photographer than the camera. I bought a canon 700d a few years ago with no clue what I was really doing! I got recommended this book Understanding exposure and it’s a really great help. If you go down the dslr route the bear in mind you will probably have to pay out for extra lenses depending on what you want to shoot. I have never owned one but I hear you can get some pretty decent bridge cameras that are great for zoom etc without the extra expense or hassle of carrying lenses aroun

Hi, how did you find your Canon 700d? I was thinking of buying the 750d do you recommend it?
sazal11 h, 55 m ago

Hi, how did you find your Canon 700d? I was thinking of buying the 750d do …Hi, how did you find your Canon 700d? I was thinking of buying the 750d do you recommend it?

Hi, I have had it 4 years now and get on with it pretty well. It does everything I need it to although I would really like to upgrade it but can’t afford to. The battery life is very good on it and it’s easy to use but I tend to shoot 90% of my stuff in manual mode anyway. I have never tried any other brand of DSLR to compare it to though
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions