Groups

best dvd to test a my new home theatre sound sytem????

hi my sony home theatre system is coming today and im thinking i want to test it with a good dvdm what your suggestions something with great sound i was thinking maybe platoon with all the helicopters and bullets whizzing past as any one else got any good ideas to test it with.
    whats your thoughts, cheers

23 Comments

Moulin Rouge? It's the first one I think about when it comes to a variety of music... Phantom of the Opera? I'm just thinking musicals aren't I?!

Banned

War movie with DTS will be a good workout. I seem to remember Black Hawk Down being impressive.

Saving private ryan

Top Gun

DDTTAA

Saving private ryan

Ditto .You have never really seen this movie until you see it with surround sound,The beach scene with the bullets pinging off the tank traps make you feel like ducking,

batman the dark knight reallly blew me away with its sound on my new surround sound system

DDTTAA

Saving private ryan

I would have said this too, any fast moving adventure film, indiana Jones etc.

Edited by: "greg_68" 11th Nov 2010

Would imagine Star Wars would be good.

Banned

DVD?

War Of The Worlds has good sound and good to test on

apocolypse now ...

flight of the valkyries and helo's flying low over the water... if that doesn't reverberate around the room and get your hair stood on end nothing will

3 of my favourite DVD show off pieces:
    Peter Gabriel - Growing Up (Live)
    The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
    Jean Michel Jarre - Aero

Noticed you mentioned it was a Sony system, does it support SACD by chance?
    A lot of my reference material is in this format but you might struggle to get hold of them.

First battle scene in Gadiator, with the arrows flirting all over the place.

Another vote for the beach landing and Saving Private Ryan - make sure you position your speakers correctly and not just stick them all at the front of the room....

Banned

Sound of Music

Another vote for Saving Private Ryan - you here helicopters flying all over you room that are not even on screen; superb sound experience.

Another vote for saving private ryan.

Original Poster

your reference material???

MBeeching

3 of my favourite DVD show off pieces:Peter Gabriel - Growing Up … 3 of my favourite DVD show off pieces:Peter Gabriel - Growing Up (Live)The Eagles - Hell Freezes OverJean Michel Jarre - AeroNoticed you mentioned it was a Sony system, does it support SACD by chance?A lot of my reference material is in this format but you might struggle to get hold of them.

gari189

Another vote for the beach landing and Saving Private Ryan - make sure … Another vote for the beach landing and Saving Private Ryan - make sure you position your speakers correctly and not just stick them all at the front of the room....

gari189

Another vote for the beach landing and Saving Private Ryan - make sure … Another vote for the beach landing and Saving Private Ryan - make sure you position your speakers correctly and not just stick them all at the front of the room....

Original Poster

they are set up right got a special little device that you plug into calibrate them,pretty cool.

gari189

shamus1975

they are set up right got a special little device that you plug into … they are set up right got a special little device that you plug into calibrate them,pretty cool.

i have a ht sf1300, i would say the microphone supplied to set up the speakers doesnt always do the greatest job. i would search on av forums for your model and set up suggestions

I always use 'Twister' as its nice and loud, I hate my neighbours anyway the noisy gits so a little payback is ok in my book.

Matrix ? Lobby scene would be pretty good with all that gunfire

flesh gordon (_;)

Original Poster

saving private ryan is a popular suggestion ive have so far ordered that and black hawk down.
    cheers
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4672199
      2. Sky Fibre Max34
      3. Jeremy Corbyn #traingate1620
      4. Are these two things distinctly different to you?36196

See more discussions