Found 3rd Oct 2016
i bought a pack of dylon jet black dye for my jeans which were faded. myabe i overloaded my machine with items as there are now patch marks on my jeans which look awful so its not a consistent colour. whats the best way to fix these? is there a bucket dye method which works better? or should i get a packet of dylon?

1. Ask
  2. Jeans
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Jeans
16 Comments

Couple more packs of dylon and salt through the washing machine will sort them I am sure.

Original Poster

when you say salt what do you mean?

I've had the same problem dyeing jeans, the areas that were most faded, like the knees and thighs, came out lighter so they still looked patchy.
I tried it a 2nd time with nothing else in the machine and the faded areas were less noticeable but I don't think its possible to get them back to an even, consistent colour like when they were new.

wakkaday

when you say salt what do you mean?

I think he means the salt that you have to put in the machine as part of the dyeing process, doesn't it say something about that in the Dylon instructions? Not certain, its a long time since I tried it but I think the salt "sets" the dye to stop it washing out after, or something like that.

Original Poster

Delbert Grady

I think he means the salt that you have to put in the machine as part of … I think he means the salt that you have to put in the machine as part of the dyeing process, doesn't it say something about that in the Dylon instructions? Not certain, its a long time since I tried it but I think the salt "sets" the dye to stop it washing out after, or something like that.

​this is exactly the bit. It didn't say anything about salt on packet instructions. I've put in 5pair of jeans which all are spoilt. damn

What dye was it you used exactly, they usually require salt.

For 5 pairs of jeans, it would probably also require about 3 packets of dye.

Last time I used Dylon I used the pre-bleach to take the original colour out, then re-dyed the item.

I tend to use 1 packet of dye for each pair of jeans.always come out dark and an even colour.
probably just too many items in the machine and not enough dye

Did you read the instructions?
Looks like the standard machine pack (350g) recommended for 1 pair of jeans, so no wonder they came out wrong.

Original Poster

I am dyeing black to black. I probably used too less die bloody expensive

wakkaday

I am dyeing black to black. I probably used too less die bloody expensive

Lesson learnt. Read the instructions. 1 pack of dye = 1 pair of jeans and dylon machine dye definitely needs lots of salt.

In my experience, it doesn't take long for the dye to wash out either so it isnt very good.

Original Poster

I would be happy if the dye washes out as I probably wrecked several expensive jeans but I will try a few more packs and see if it's works. if not if I keepbwashing will the dye come out. is there any equivalent

I always use 1 pack of dye for 1 pair of jeans & do only 1 pair of jeans each time. If the jeans are faded in some areas beforehand, they CAN show fading in those areas after dyeing and any stains will (usually) still be visible after dyeing. Some of the Dylon packs of dye need salt added, others already have it included. Only ever used Dylon and all seem to have worked well (so far!)

wakkaday

I would be happy if the dye washes out as I probably wrecked several … I would be happy if the dye washes out as I probably wrecked several expensive jeans but I will try a few more packs and see if it's works. if not if I keepbwashing will the dye come out. is there any equivalent

​If you keep washing, the dye will fade, not come out.

Weigh the fabric and make sure you get enough dye, and put one more in for good measure, and they should come out fine.

If not, you can get pre-dye (dye remover) but they could come out a very odd colour.

Remember the salt.

Original Poster

Robj1

​If you keep washing, the dye will fade, not come out. Weigh the fabric a … ​If you keep washing, the dye will fade, not come out. Weigh the fabric and make sure you get enough dye, and put one more in for good measure, and they should come out fine. If not, you can get pre-dye (dye remover) but they could come out a very odd colour. Remember the salt.

thank you i will give that a go

the salt wasnt listed on instructions but will research and add

wakkaday

thank you i will give that a gothe salt wasnt listed on instructions but … thank you i will give that a gothe salt wasnt listed on instructions but will research and add

​if it's the big pouch you're using then you shouldn't need to add the salt as it's already in it. the only time I have added salt is to the little boxes of the dye which do state in the instructions that salt needs to be added.
hope you have better luck next attempt
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Has the amount of Apple fanboys increased on the site after the redesign?11
    2. Urgent help needed with travel agent56
    3. Submit Mobile Deals from Comparison sites22
    4. NEWBIE Help with a new laptop or PC please?!33

See more discussions