Groups

Best email client?

I did use Outlook Express until my 'folders' exceeded 2GB :-( I knew it was coming but someone sent me some enormous pictures. But it was good, nice and simple but could be configured for a number of email addresses. I have never liked Outlook, too monstrous with so many unnecessary options. I then turned to Thunderbird. It was okayish but never really worked well and sometimes lost mail which it said it had sent. Now, it's simply not working suddenly with one email address. And it's now been officially dropped by Motzilla. You can't really expect support for something that's been freely developed, so I wouldn't mind paying something. Provided it's been working for some time and seems likely to continue to be supported for a number of years. So, suggestions, please, for Windows.

21 Comments

Why not just use outlook (full version, not express)? Why have you got 2GB's of emails anyway? oO

You can set up autoarchive .
    Edited by: "chocci" 16th Mar

Why not just leave all the mail online using something like Fastmail.fm - You can use a client but I don't bother I get it via browser and on my phone.

Also just delete all the attachments in outlook. I've never had any problem with Thunderbird either. If you use a client make sure you use IMAP that way you don't need to download anything.

Original Poster

chocci

Why not just use outlook (full version, not express)? Why have you got … Why not just use outlook (full version, not express)? Why have you got 2GB's of emails anyway? oOYou can set up autoarchive .

Thanks for your reply
    I keep all my mail for years, here, on one computer. That's why it's large
    Outlook is a ridiculously large program, and cumbersome to use (I know you can autoarchive).

For security this looks pretty good: startpage.com/blo…in/
    You have to pay for it but use discount code start.

Original Poster

PulisOut

Why not just leave all the mail online using something like Fastmail.fm - … Why not just leave all the mail online using something like Fastmail.fm - You can use a client but I don't bother I get it via browser and on my phone. Also just delete all the attachments in outlook. I've never had any problem with Thunderbird either. If you use a client make sure you use IMAP that way you don't need to download anything.

pooool

For security this looks pretty good: … For security this looks pretty good: https://www.startpage.com/blog/ixquick/how-the-yahoo-hack-impacts-you-even-if-you-dont-have-a-yahoo-account-and-how-to-get-safe-again/#hmbYou have to pay for it but use discount code start.

Thanks but these are not email clients, you access them via a web page. An email client is a program that can send and receive mail directly and can handle multiple email addresses (which I have)
    Edited by: "jasee" 16th Mar

T'Bird all the way. Excellent.

getmeone

T'Bird all the way. Excellent.

​Did you even read his post?

Mate I know what an email client is I spent many happy hours installing email servers and managing the over 10,000 clients connected to them, the has not really been a new email client for ages worth looking at and I've seen them all. If you want to continue using outlook you can export and import to the full version that comes in older version of Ms Office. It should be easy to find, then every now and then export the database and store that.

Most email clients allow you to archive your email but I suspect you problem is you don't know how to use email. Attachments can be stored outside your client for example and as I said before you don't need to store email locally at all if you use Imap. Thunderbird is your best option now. Setup archiving, compress the database every week and use Imap.

Agent used to great but it's well outdated now.

Your not using POP3 per chance, if so you really should be using IMAP, personally I think your find Thunderbird, as a stand alone Client, hard to beat these days, been using it for years, have tried various newer ones, there just not up to mark.

em client

Original Poster

PulisOut

Mate I know what an email client is I spent many happy hours installing … Mate I know what an email client is I spent many happy hours installing email servers and managing the over 10,000 clients connected to them, the has not really been a new email client for ages worth looking at and I've seen them all. If you want to continue using outlook you can export and import to the full version that comes in older version of Ms Office. It should be easy to find, then every now and then export the database and store that.Most email clients allow you to archive your email but I suspect you problem is you don't know how to use email. Attachments can be stored outside your client for example and as I said before you don't need to store email locally at all if you use Imap. Thunderbird is your best option now. Setup archiving, compress the database every week and use Imap.Agent used to great but it's well outdated now.

I know I can export mail mail into Outlook from Outlook Express (thanks)
    There's no reason for me to use imap, I don't want my mail to remain of the server for any length of time (and I don't usually access it from other systems.
    I used to use Turnpike, now that was a good email client!
    I've also configured exchange for about 200 users using Outlook and Outlook webmail, so I know what I'm talking about and configured lots of weird and wonderful clients for others. I use K9 on my android phones but it really is a bit clunky

Original Poster

cwj3820

em client

Yes, thanks might be good, thanks.
    Do you use it?
    Edited by: "jasee" 16th Mar

Slight off topic.. If you want to send large files rather than email use wetransfer.com/. Free. No registration

Try Mailbird

Mozilla Thunderbird has a new version release March 7th version 45.8.0
    Edited by: "1854" 17th Mar

Original Poster

Mozilla Thunderbird has a new version release March 7th version 45.8.0

I know, thank you, I have that version. But it is now not supported by Mozilla and the official forum has gone and even then when I asked questions, I didn't receive authoritative answers.
    I'm very happy with Firefox and I've given them small donations. Fortunately Firefox is well supported.
    There is something to be said for paid software. If you have problems, you can reasonably expect support.

Original Poster

wayners

Slight off topic.. If you want to send large files rather than email use … Slight off topic.. If you want to send large files rather than email use https://wetransfer.com/. Free. No registration

Looks interesting thanks, (especially for shortish videos), do you or the recipient get any spam as a result?

jasee

Looks interesting thanks, (especially for shortish videos), do you or the … Looks interesting thanks, (especially for shortish videos), do you or the recipient get any spam as a result?

​No spam. They don't keep files..All encrypted. Heard a interview with the guy that set it up. They make money from adds that play while it runs which he admitted that most don't watch anyway, they cover costs and make a profit... It fills a need and businesses use it the most.. I have to a few times..

Original Poster

wayners

​No spam. They don't keep files..All encrypted. Heard a interview with t … ​No spam. They don't keep files..All encrypted. Heard a interview with the guy that set it up. They make money from adds that play while it runs which he admitted that most don't watch anyway, they cover costs and make a profit... It fills a need and businesses use it the most.. I have to a few times..

Thanks that is useful!

jasee

Thanks that is useful!

​Take a look here. This articles tells you a little more. It's old but still relevant.. talkforumnyc.com/201…et/
    Edited by: "wayners" 17th Mar

Original Poster

wayners

​Take a look here. This articles tells you a little more. It's old but s … ​Take a look here. This articles tells you a little more. It's old but still relevant.. http://www.talkforumnyc.com/2011/06/21/interview-wetransfer-%E2%80%93-a-file-transfer-service-aiming-to-banish-the-banner-ad-from-the-internet/

Thanks again Banner Ads are the rising scourge of the Internet, I can't imagine how anyone searches without some sort of ad blocking program
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. New Layout is Confusing: How to I navigate to specific items!?45
      2. Best laptop on the market11
      3. Help Me Find Bright Red Exterior Paint PLEASE56
      4. Are smart parking limited legitimate55

See more discussions