Groups

Best engine motor oil?

I have very little clue when it comes to topping up engine oil: 5w30, 10w30, 10w40 etc.

I've no clue what's in there currently, so I'm assuming I should go by the vehicle handbook?

And following that, fully synthetic? Mobil, Castrol, or is stuff like Halfords and Tesco the same thing?

Thanks in advance, I've had trouble finding the info elsewhere, so hoped some money-mindful folk on here might have an idea

10 Comments

OK, so what car /brand /engine /age

I use triple qx

Type your number plate into the link below and it'll tell you the type of oil you need i.e. 5w30, 10w40 etc. Can't help with brands, I've leased for the past 8 years and have never had to top up the oil myself.

eurocarparts.com/eng…ils

Edited by: "spoo" 3rd Nov 2016

Just aim for your budget. The best can set you back £50+ if you went into a garage there are two kinds, normal which is usually semi synthetic and synthetic which they charge you more for. The W viscosity ratings are always the same.

Kwik fit do top ups for free

Mobil1 is good - yes follow the recommendation in the handbook.

for a 'standard' car, anything which meets the requirements in the handbook will be fine, eg 5w30 C2 spec. for turbocharged and high performance engines, fully synthetic oil is usually preferred from a reputable manufacturer, such as Castrol or Mobil1

spoo

Type your number plate into the link below and it'll tell you the type of … Type your number plate into the link below and it'll tell you the type of oil you need i.e. 5w30, 10w40 etc. Can't help with brands, I've leased for the past 8 years and have never had to top up the oil myself.http://www.eurocarparts.com/engine-oils

​+1, then just wait to see a sale posted on hukd.

do my own service, had the car from new, using mobil 1, 0w 40 and nothing else.
    our vw golf 1.6fsi petrol, done 190k+, engine still going strong.

Whether it's true or not I don't know but VW says " What is LongLife III oil?
    LongLife oil is a high grade, fully synthetic oil with increased resistance to ageing at
    high temperatures. When LongLife servicing was originally introduced it was
    generally designated SAE 0W-30 and met Volkswagen standards 503 00 for petrol
    engines and 506 00 and later 506 01 for diesel engines. With the introduction of new
    emission limits for passenger cars in 2005 requiring the fitment of exhaust gas after-
    treatment devices, Volkswagen have upgraded their LongLife specifications to 504 00
    for petrol and 507 00 for diesel. LongLife oils meeting 504 00/507 00 are now SAE
    5W-30 viscosity. Apart from a few exceptions*, these new specifications replace the
    earlier 503 00/506 00/506 01 specifications. Oils meeting the new specifications are
    designed to work with the latest emissions control equipment, such as diesel
    particulate filters (DPF). Use of oil which only meets earlier LongLife specifications
    can halve the life of a DPF.
    *All diesel vehicles fitted with R5 (5 cylinder) and 5.0ltr V10 engines and
    manufactured prior to 1 January 2006, cannot use oils meeting Volkswagen standard
    507 00 even if equipped with a DPF. These engines should use oils meeting
    Volkswagen standard 506 01 (eg. Castrol Professional Longtec LongLife II 0W-30) for
    both LongLife and Time and Distance servicing regimes."

Eurocarparts link doesn't tell me what spec the oil meets even the triple qx "VAG" oil from them.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains109
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick1010
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2121

See more discussions