Best excuse to get iPhone replaced?

Found 11th Jan 2013
Brought a iPhone 5 today from ebay have feeling the guy will try and scam me and block the phone reporting it lost/stolen and then do a insurance claim..

want to know whats the best excuse to tell the Genius Bar people to give me a replacement handset.. NOTHING is wrong with the phone as of yet i brought it sealed..

At the moment everyone i know has been telling me to say to them that the battery drains too fast and only lasts half a day..

My appointment is on Monday, and the phone has 12 Month warranty.
Community Updates
MisciPhone
72 Comments
I think the best option is to grow a brain and a set of morals and buy a band new phone if you want a brand new one like every other honest person and not expect apple to foot the bill for your dodgy eBay purchase (which you don't even know is dodgy yet).
daturastorm

I think the best option is to grow a brain and a set of morals and buy a … I think the best option is to grow a brain and a set of morals and buy a band new phone if you want a brand new one like every other honest person and not expect apple to foot the bill for your dodgy eBay purchase (which you don't even know is dodgy yet).

+1

another scumbag added to my 'do not trade with' list
daturastorm

I think the best option is to grow a brain and a set of morals and buy a … I think the best option is to grow a brain and a set of morals and buy a band new phone if you want a brand new one like every other honest person and not expect apple to foot the bill for your dodgy eBay purchase (which you don't even know is dodgy yet).

I agree to a point.
What feedback did the seller have? if it's low then more fool you.

On a helpful note:
If the phone gets blocked, just open a paypal and/or ebay dispute and you will get your money back.
BOUGHT!!!
Every other honest person? what makes me dishonest i'm not tryna scam out anyone.
This is from past experience...
When my iPad 2 started restarting itself constantly, and would wipe itself in the process i went to the Genius Bar and they said it would be some kind of software/driver problem, and said that because i'd told them it was only a few weeks old, they'd replace it for me - however only if i had a receipt from an authorised retailer with the guarantee still valid. Luckily i'd bought it from currys and i was able to swap it. The only problem for yourself would be if they asked for the receipt to prove the guarantee was still valid, because if it's not still under guarantee, Apple can charge you a bomb to repair any of their products. I'm guessing this is due to the fact that some dishonest people buy broken Apple products from eBay etc and try get them replaced at the Apple store for free. Saying that though haven't you got the eBay protection if the guy does scam you? Fingers crossed he doesn't!
NabzE17

Every other honest person? what makes me dishonest i'm not tryna scam out … Every other honest person? what makes me dishonest i'm not tryna scam out anyone.

think your'e plotting to scam apple
Why did you buy and THEN think about what could happen?

Eejit!
NabzE17

Every other honest person? what makes me dishonest i'm not tryna scam out … Every other honest person? what makes me dishonest i'm not tryna scam out anyone.

I think the fact youre buying a what we can only assume is a second hand iphone off ebay and then taking it to apple to get a brand new model that's not second hand to replace it by making up imaginary problems....

if that's not scamming apple then I don't know what is!
NabzE17

You obviously don't know the meaning of dishonest then because you are asking people what LIE you could tell to apple to get them to replace a phone that you didn't buy from them.
theworkingdead

I agree to a point.What feedback did the seller have? if it's low then … I agree to a point.What feedback did the seller have? if it's low then more fool you.On a helpful note:If the phone gets blocked, just open a paypal and/or ebay dispute and you will get your money back.

He had 43 rating with 100% i just have a gut feeling.. just because he said he'd rather to cash on collection and avoid ebay due to the fees.
maccamuz

Ya think? He's hardly been subtle about it!
NabzE17

'want to know whats the best excuse to tell the Genius Bar people to give me a replacement handset.. NOTHING is wrong with the phone.'

read that again op and say out load 'I'm not trying to scam anyone' and see how foolish it sounds. X)

Misc seems to have a lot of knobs on it this week who think everyone else is to blame and how they can get around their cock-ups.

Edited by: "greg_68" 11th Jan 2013
NabzE17

He had 43 rating with 100% i just have a gut feeling.. just because he … He had 43 rating with 100% i just have a gut feeling.. just because he said he'd rather to cash on collection and avoid ebay due to the fees.

Whatever you do pay by PayPal through eBay!

Edited by: "RosieWoo" 11th Jan 2013
cache

I think the fact youre buying a what we can only assume is a second hand … I think the fact youre buying a what we can only assume is a second hand iphone off ebay and then taking it to apple to get a brand new model that's not second hand to replace it by making up imaginary problems....if that's not scamming apple then I don't know what is!

The phone i have is still in its plastic, its brand new.. and the phone apple give u in return is a service replacement which is a refurb.. so im the one loosing out more paying for a brand new phone and getting a refurb in return
daturastorm

Ya think? He's hardly been subtle about it!

ive never understood people who take the time to post comments who don't bother to read a couple of earlier comments.

NabzE17
Every other honest person? what makes me dishonest i'm not tryna scam out anyone.

maccamuz
RosieWoo

Whatever you do pay by PayPal!!

i would but either way paypal only covers you for 40ish days.. after that im on my own.
Edited by: "NabzE17" 11th Jan 2013
Go in wearing your Arsenal shirt and tell them you were unable to open the box, they will believe you.
NabzE17

The phone i have is still in its plastic, its brand new.. and the phone … The phone i have is still in its plastic, its brand new.. and the phone apple give u in return is a service replacement which is a refurb.. so im the one loosing out more paying for a brand new phone and getting a refurb in return

So you already have it? Did you go through eBay or cash on collection without buying from auction?
NabzE17

The phone i have is still in its plastic, its brand new.. and the phone … The phone i have is still in its plastic, its brand new.. and the phone apple give u in return is a service replacement which is a refurb.. so im the one loosing out more paying for a brand new phone and getting a refurb in return

Sorry but I had to do this.

It is "losing" NOT "loosing"
I bought myself an iPhone 4 around 3 months ago of ebay. Never have had a problem, at the end of the day it's your responsibility to make sure you deal with a trusted seller. The person I bought mine from had 100% over 400 odd sales, that was good enough for me.
You can't always assume the seller is always to going to rip you off, it's just your call whether you trust the other person or not.
danmc

Go in wearing your Arsenal shirt and tell them you were unable to open … Go in wearing your Arsenal shirt and tell them you were unable to open the box, they will believe you.

lol danmc if thats u in your dp you look like iniesta!
NabzE17

He had 43 rating with 100% i just have a gut feeling.. just because he … He had 43 rating with 100% i just have a gut feeling.. just because he said he'd rather to cash on collection and avoid ebay due to the fees.

But doesn't that make him seem more legit if he his happy for you to turn up at his front door ffs?
RosieWoo

So you already have it? Did you go through eBay or cash on collection … So you already have it? Did you go through eBay or cash on collection without buying from auction?

Cash on collection without ebay.. so its a private deal
answer quicker
For what it's worth, I think you should tell them the truth, just like you told us and they will probably feel sorry for you and replace it anyway.
wow that's ridiculous, link me to the ebay sale please
OldEnglish

But doesn't that make him seem more legit if he his happy for you to turn … But doesn't that make him seem more legit if he his happy for you to turn up at his front door ffs?

Yes he also gave me the receipt it has a different address to where he invited me to come collect
So do you have the phone or not? If the seller is insisting on cash out of ebay then you do NOT buy the phone, it is as simple as that, usually it is buyers who ask for this to get money off, the seller should not be doing it. Apple will not replace the phone unless there is something up with it.
NabzE17

You really are stupid then. Wow!

Good luck
NabzE17

Yes he also gave me the receipt it has a different address to where he … Yes he also gave me the receipt it has a different address to where he invited me to come collect

Ok, so you have bought it cash, out of ebay, first let me say this..... FOOL!

Second, where is the receipt from?
NabzE17

But who would want to have a fight on there doorstep over a blocked phone?

Theres no hope (_;)
do you have the receipt and warranty information?
lol.....this gets better by the minute. X)
inb4 someones offers their iphone6 for a swap
NabzE17FAN

Your paranoid you should have just bought a new phone mate end of
OldEnglish

NabzE17FANYour paranoid you should have just bought a new phone mate end … NabzE17FANYour paranoid you should have just bought a new phone mate end of

i SOO am paranoid lol
how much did you pay?
Let's go along with the op's scheme.

He swaps it at the shop and the seller subsequently reports it stolen.

Would this flag up to Apple and then they would be able to trace it back to the op as they'd have the phone's details and the op's details.

Or would it not get picked up by Apple?
Edited by: "greg_68" 11th Jan 2013
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/159/324/flash11752_Still-Waiting-on-OP.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions