Best excuse to get iPhone replaced?

Posted 11th Jan 2013
Brought a iPhone 5 today from ebay have feeling the guy will try and scam me and block the phone reporting it lost/stolen and then do a insurance claim..

want to know whats the best excuse to tell the Genius Bar people to give me a replacement handset.. NOTHING is wrong with the phone as of yet i brought it sealed..

At the moment everyone i know has been telling me to say to them that the battery drains too fast and only lasts half a day..

My appointment is on Monday, and the phone has 12 Month warranty.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

72 Comments
OldEnglish

NabzE17FANYour paranoid you should have just bought a new phone mate end … NabzE17FANYour paranoid you should have just bought a new phone mate end of

I personally never buy 2nd hand, just dont think it's worth it.
plus I like the "new" feeling.
aircanman

Its from voda, contract phone
greg_68

Let's go along with the op's scheme.He swaps it at the shop and the … Let's go along with the op's scheme.He swaps it at the shop and the seller subsequently reports it stolen.Would this flag up to Apple and then they would be able to trace it back to the op as they'd have the phone's details and the op's details.Or would it not get picked up by Apple?

I think they change the IMEI when they go through the refurb process.
theworkingdead

I personally never buy 2nd hand, just dont think it's worth it.plus I … I personally never buy 2nd hand, just dont think it's worth it.plus I like the "new" feeling.

this was new sealed and everything arghhh so stressd
wipe it, reset it or whatever it is you do then take it in and say it keeps powering off when making calls, not every time but that its been happening for more often recently and its driving you nuts.

thats what i did when i bought a second hand one and took it into regent street store...

i then gave it to the wife and went back to android, .

Sent from my Nexus 4
where you at op?
theworkingdead

I personally never buy 2nd hand, just dont think it's worth it.plus I … I personally never buy 2nd hand, just dont think it's worth it.plus I like the "new" feeling.

I do but electrical stuff phones tv's ect it's just not worth it imo
NabzE17

Its from voda, contract phone

Ah right, so not really a receipt, more of a delivery note. In that case there is a chance that the OP could report it stolen, what I would do is if you are on Vodafone, ring them and tell them all the phone details, and I would insure it as well. - Dont buy like that again from ebay.
cache

where you at op?

Uh oh, seller alert.
RAFAVDV

wipe it, reset it or whatever it is you do then take it in and say it … wipe it, reset it or whatever it is you do then take it in and say it keeps powering off when making calls, not every time but that its been happening for more often recently and its driving you nuts.thats what i did when i bought a second hand one and took it into regent street store...i then gave it to the wife and went back to android, .Sent from my Nexus 4

Thank you!! thats the help i need.. and i got it from a spurs fan
RAFAVDV

wipe it, reset it or whatever it is you do then take it in and say it … wipe it, reset it or whatever it is you do then take it in and say it keeps powering off when making calls, not every time but that its been happening for more often recently and its driving you nuts.thats what i did when i bought a second hand one and took it into regent street store...i then gave it to the wife and went back to android, .Sent from my Nexus 4

I want your nexus 4, I will give you cash in hand at a rendezvous of your choice
aircanman

Uh oh, seller alert.

huh?
NabzE17

Wrong on every level then
aircanman

Ah right, so not really a receipt, more of a delivery note. In that case … Ah right, so not really a receipt, more of a delivery note. In that case there is a chance that the OP could report it stolen, what I would do is if you are on Vodafone, ring them and tell them all the phone details, and I would insure it as well. - Dont buy like that again from ebay.

i plan on unlocking it not on voda this is why i just want a a swap.. im sure apple can deal with phones IF they get blocked in 2 seconds all i wanted is a iphone that i paid for
NabzE17

this was new sealed and everything arghhh so stressd

Sorry I forgot to add "from a well known reputable retailer".
NabzE17

i plan on unlocking it not on voda this is why i just want a a swap.. … i plan on unlocking it not on voda this is why i just want a a swap.. im sure apple can deal with phones IF they get blocked in 2 seconds all i wanted is a iphone that i paid for

That's why you should have done cash on collection & if he does block it you could have popped round his house & kicked his head in
NabzE17

Yes you can do this, but Apple won't just roll over and let you insert your cock and bull story... - They connect it to the system and find out what has been happening with it, how much it has been used etc etc!! - Use it for a few days at least before you go in and say things like its crashing all the time.
aircanman

Yes you can do this, but Apple won't just roll over and let you insert … Yes you can do this, but Apple won't just roll over and let you insert your cock and bull story... - They connect it to the system and find out what has been happening with it, how much it has been used etc etc!! - Use it for a few days at least before you go in and say things like its crashing all the time.

wtff i dint know they could check how much you use it.. i just dont wanna have it in my possession for too long and have it blocked (if it does) before i get a chance to see apple.

what do they check in usage? as in how much you spend talking/texting/data sent etc?
give it back to the bloke, get your money back, go buy a new contract phone, scrounger
"OH Hi guyz! I've bought a stolen phone and want to exchange it for a new one. Plz halp me because I am a scrote"
cache

give it back to the bloke, get your money back, go buy a new contract … give it back to the bloke, get your money back, go buy a new contract phone, scrounger

Refrain yourself from commenting if your no help.
DJ1

"OH Hi guyz! I've bought a stolen phone and want to exchange it for a new … "OH Hi guyz! I've bought a stolen phone and want to exchange it for a new one. Plz halp me because I am a scrote"

leave it out mate.
If you are going to lie to them they will find out, and if it IS stolen good luck with that.
Edited by: "stormydat" 11th Jan 2013
Seems to be a high number of car crash threads in misc atm.

OP - stop being a drama queen. If you have the receipt for the phone and anything goes wrong then take it back to the retailer or Apple. No point in taking back a brand new phone that is perfectly fine.

I have no idea what thought process went on when buying this phone if all you wanted was an iPhone you paid for and not have any trouble afterwards.
NabzE17

If you post a topic like this on the misc, you're gonna have a bad time.
Don't understand all the hate. It should be directed towards the scammers and a failed system that allows them to do it.

Can't believe an ownership transfer solution hasn't been implemented yet.

Edited by: "MBeeching" 11th Jan 2013
NabzE17

im being helpful, if indeed you bought 'privately' then there is no reason why you cant go and ask for your money back.....
MBeeching

Don't understand all the hate. It should be directed towards the … Don't understand all the hate. It should be directed towards the scammers and a failed system that allows them to do it.Can't believe an ownership transfer solution hasn't been implemented yet.

Because it's the OPs own stupid fault?

eBay constantly tell you to not deal outside of PayPal. But OP thought he knew better and despite misgivings, went ahead and did it anyway.

So now, because, y'know... it's only big business, he's planning on scamming Apple out of a phone. So that makes him just as bad as the first lot he bought it off.

It's simple; use PayPal, if things go wrong, claim.

OP deserves nothing but what he's got.
Just tell them anything to do with hardware problem if you try tell them its a software issue they'll just tell u to restore!
MBeeching

Don't understand all the hate. It should be directed towards the … Don't understand all the hate. It should be directed towards the scammers and a failed system that allows them to do it.Can't believe an ownership transfer solution hasn't been implemented yet.

Exactly.
Zambooka

Just tell them anything to do with hardware problem if you try tell them … Just tell them anything to do with hardware problem if you try tell them its a software issue they'll just tell u to restore!

Decided to risk it and not take it in!
Just a quick update for everyone who commented the phone is working fine 2 weeks on the seller was genuine I was just being paranoid! All good
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants