Groups
    EXPIRED

BEST EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE AVAILABLE ON THE MARKET

Banned
    I currently have the Iomega 320GB External Hard drive which requires both the USB Ports had it for quite sme while, was looking at the new Fancy WD Passport Essential which only uses 1 usb which i prefer,

I'm looking for something

Reliable
    Quality (dont mind paying the extra bob for something better)
    Fast Data Transfer
    Solid (wont break if i drop it)
    Any size as long its value for money

Any Personal Recomendations and guidance would be nice

Oh yh dont like the big bulky things which require mains power

Thanks In Advance

4 Comments

WD Passport is the best option !!

Original Poster Banned

how is the read and write rate ? and is there anything on the market which is faster ?

seagate freeagent go are quite good as well!

Maggy;7482991

how is the read and write rate ? and is there anything on the market … how is the read and write rate ? and is there anything on the market which is faster ?

You'll have to ditch the slow USB and go for Firewire 800 if you want a speed boost (eSATA is an option too, but I don't know if there any powered ones available yet so you may need a USB connector for power as well). It'll only help with transfers being limited to the ~30MB/s of USB, anything slower than that (usually due to transfering small files) won't benefit.

Of course, if your computer/laptop doesn't have FW800 you'll have to buy a card to add it. Laptops will need an ExpressCard slot for this, but most of them at 13" or above will have one.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. love affairs1649
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1525
      3. Important info for Ryanair customers1825
      4. word association Game73944491

See more discussions