Groups

Best file format etc for burning movie file onto disc?

Hey you Guys! (Sorry watched Goonies last Sunday)

Basically I have a movie file which is in the .avi format. What is the best format for me to convert it to?

I want to put it onto a recordable DVD to watch on my TV. Any help is appreciated!

8 Comments

I use Convert X to Vid, can't fault it...

nero vision for me, I know alot of people say its bloated but you have alot more choice etc in there, will convert most file types too!!

the best format for use in what? if a regular dvd player then you need to burn to the vob dvd format.
    if your tv/dvd player can handle avi/mpeg then you don't need to convert it.

as babbaboey says-if you are gonna be downloading a lot of avis movies/tv shows etc,just get a cheapo dvd player that can play divx-its a lot less hassle in the long run,and if you get one with a usb input then you can just put em on a usb drive and watch them that way without using discs.

if you do need to convert to dvd,I use vso convertx.might be worth checking if your existing dvd player plays avi files-it may be a feature you were never aware of .

Babbabooey;8787567

the best format for use in what? if a regular dvd player then you need … the best format for use in what? if a regular dvd player then you need to burn to the vob dvd format.if your tv/dvd player can handle avi/mpeg then you don't need to convert it.

If AVI/MPEG format is used, conversion may still be required for the CODEC encapsulated within the AVI/MPEG container. An application may be able to decode the layers of a container but may not handle the CODECs so to ensure full copmpatibility, the resultant file needs to be converted to a supported CODEC.

For OP:

DVDs are encoded with MPEG-2 CODEC. Note this is NOT the same as MPEG container. For full compatibility and compliance, the resultant video should be encoded as MPEG-2 CODEC within the VOB container. Naturally, since this is the industry standard for DVD, this is the best method file format to use, to answer your question. Some DVD players will reject discs that were not pressed during manufacture - this can be remedied by setting the Book Type flag (for example, DVD Decrypter can be used to allow the booktype to be changed to DVD ROM). If this full compliancy becomes too troublesome, then the next best solution is what has been recommended (but wrongly worded) - which is to use a supported container AND supported CODEC.

ElliottC;8787720

If AVI/MPEG format is used, conversion may still be required for the … If AVI/MPEG format is used, conversion may still be required for the CODEC encapsulated within the AVI/MPEG container. An application may be able to decode the layers of a container but may not handle the CODECs so to ensure full copmpatibility, the resultant file needs to be converted to a supported CODEC.For OP:DVDs are encoded with MPEG-2 CODEC. Note this is NOT the same as MPEG container. For full compatibility and compliance, the resultant video should be encoded as MPEG-2 CODEC within the VOB container. Naturally, since this is the industry standard for DVD, this is the best method file format to use, to answer your question. Some DVD players will reject discs that were not pressed during manufacture - this can be remedied by setting the Book Type flag (for example, DVD Decrypter can be used to allow the booktype to be changed to DVD ROM). If this full compliancy becomes too troublesome, then the next best solution is what has been recommended (but wrongly worded) - which is to use a supported container AND supported CODEC.

:lazy:

Babbabooey;8787831

hahaha.....true that!!!
    pick a bit of software, (nero or xconvert etc) if you cant use the software, have a look on afterdawn forums for a step by step guide how to do it!!!! :thumbsup:

Babbabooey;8787831

But he is correct. You gave wrong information.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2487
      2. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force1521
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767390
      4. Old one pound coins are they worth more then their face value1115

See more discussions