Found 27th Dec 2010
In my opinion 2010 has been one of the best years for film for an incredibly long time. We've had the biggest ever blockbuster Avatar reach the highest grossing film of all time status (granted it was released in 2009) the first part to the conclusion of the much loved Harry Potter series and there's no forgetting Inception!

But as well as all this large scale blockbusters we've had some really excellent indie films too. Such as Fish Tank, The Runaways, Greenberg, Chloe... and many more! So what are your top 10 films of 2010! (and I thought it might be nice if we all gave a little reason why they're our favourites and the cheapest place to pick them up at the moment?

10. Going the Distance

Now this isn't my usual choice of film, but I went to a free screening (courtesy of this forum's freebee section) and loved it! I definitely think it's one of the strongest Romantic Comedies of the past however many years, had me in stitches quite a few times and there were strong comedic performances from the entire main cast.
Currently unreleased but is scheduled for release on the 31st of Jan!

9. Exit Through the Gift Shop

I've always been intrigued by the whole Banksy thing, so when I read that 'a film by Banksy' was gonna be released I was quite excited hoping that it would clear some of this foggy charade that surrounds him. It didn't. But it was an incredibly engaging and enjoyable documentary!
Surprisingly you can nab a copy for £3.99 from HMV.com at the moment! Very hot!

8. My Name Is Khan

This is another one that I wouldn't have just picked up and watched. But I was in Chennai and the Indians I was staying with took me to see it. And I was amazed, it's an exceedingly thought provoking film with some incredibly moving performances!
Cheapest place is Choices online and it's £7.84!

7. Toy Story 3

The long awaited trilogy completer was finally here. And I was first in line to see it, and it was not at all disappointing! Thoroughly enjoyable feel-good (in places) family film... wouldn't dare say it's Pixars best. But it's up there!
Lots of different ways of buying this, starting at £12.95 for DVD and £14.97 for Blu-Ray

6. Paper Man

I read a couple of positive reviews about this when it was on it's festival run in America last year and finally got to see it a couple of months back when it finally traveled across the pond! Emma Stone really marks her territory in this film and I was pleased (and slightly shocked) to find Lisa Kudrow in a role that has distanced her largely from Pheobe Buffay from Friends. Truly brilliant acting at the neon end by Emma Stone, deserves an Oscar!
Isn't readily available on the UK market but look out for American Imports!

5. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1

Wow. The past few Harry Potter films have been to such a high standard, the only thing missing was half of each book. Splitting the final book into two films has done this franchise wonders, no doubt it will create a massive revenue at the box office (when combining both of them) and it has actually made the films narratively stronger. This film was full of amazing graphics, incredibly storytelling (I mention the story of The Deathly Hallows here) and surprisingly (as this is the first time in all 7 films...) excellent acting from the three main cast. Oh how they've grown from film 1!
Once again not yet released, but is still in cinemas so go catch it before it's too late!

4. Kick-Ass

Such a superb film, with one of the most memorable fight scenes (Strobe lighting) executed magnificently that even those who thought the rest of the film was dire were left gobsmacked. Additionally a sharp-tongued script giving form to Britains answer to Diablo Cody: Jane Goldman!
£4.99 on DVD, £9.97 on Blu-Ray

3. Easy A

Reading the blub this sounds like a tacky 21st century Cruel Intentions. But no, it's SO much more than that. Quick fire dead pan jokes throughout the entire script and once again (wont be the last of her yet...) an incredibly performance from Emma Stone which she has just received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actress for. If you havent seen it, you should!
DVD is listed for release in March, and the Blu-Ray is on Pre-Order in MyMemory's 2 for £20 deal! BARGAIN!

2. Inception

I like every other film goer in the country was blown away.

'nuff said.

AND FINALLY....

Numbero Uno:

ZOMBIELAND
Oh, Emma Stone... AGAIN! It has been one heck of a year for Emma! As I mentioned earlier she deserved an Oscar for a performance in Paper Man, she got a Golden Globe nod for Easy A and she's also in what is set to be a sure-fire cult film! Although being released late 2009 it found its way into my home upon it's home-video release earlier this year, so that's how it gets into 2010!

But this film? What is there to say? Cracking soundtrack, check! Casting to the highest quality, check! A unique and fresh take on a tired and cliched genre, check! and to top it all off it's STUPIDLY stylish! I just can't get enough of it... or Emma!

So, what films did you love this year?

50 Comments

I enjoyed Inception because the story was so complex

And Salt because I liked the action and the twists

am looking to download a few movies over the holiday to watch can anyone recommend some movies from the last 2 years
Edited by: "yozzman1234" 27th Dec 2010

hp 7 pt1

Inception and Toy Story 3 for me.
Edited by: "hornblowerracing" 27th Dec 2010

Tron legacy easily!

And The Expendables, 80's films are coming back!

toy story 3 was amazing

Original Poster

yozzman1234

am looking to download a few movies over the holiday to watch can anyone … am looking to download a few movies over the holiday to watch can anyone recommend some movies from the last 2 years

Just updated the first post with my Top 10 films of the year... check any of them out. They're not to disappoint!

Oh and in case anyone starts wondering why those 'amazing' films aren't in it such as The Social Network, I never got to see it! But have it on pre-order already. As for Scott Pilgrim though, that makes it to number 1 of the worst films of 2010 in my opinion.

The vast majority of the movies you listed in your op, Inception being the exception, are your average boring dumb american movies

For this years good films check out A Phropet, The secret in their eyes, and Tetro

Remember me was good & Shutter Island

shutter island and The Book of Eli are worst films ive watched:(

junkenstein73

Remember me was good & Shutter Island

Banned

I think Salt, Inception, Expendables, The Tourist & Eclipse were good

Toy Story 3, UP! , Avatar.

for me has to be LAW ABIDING CITIZEN

Inception, The Social Network, Avatar, Toy Story 3 and Kick Ass top the list for me...

remember me, inception and the secret in thier eyes...and let the right one in are the best films ive seen this year.

For me it was Inception, Avatar & The Four Lions

Scott Pilgrim vs The world

Edit: ^ & Four lions & infidel too!
Edited by: "Boom123" 27th Dec 2010

Law Abiding Citizen and The Hurt Locker were my fav's

INCEPTION, nuff said!

The Heartbreaker was fab

Four Lions is jokes.

Original Poster

roryk83

The vast majority of the movies you listed in your op, Inception being … The vast majority of the movies you listed in your op, Inception being the exception, are your average boring dumb american moviesFor this years good films check out A Phropet, The secret in their eyes, and Tetro

Clearly I don't agree with you. I could understand how you might suggest that Going the Distance would be, but it only made it into my list because it was the first romantic comedy that made me genuinely laugh. Additionally, Exit Through the Gift Shop, My Name Is Khan and HP7 (plus partially Kick-Ass - depending on how you deem a movie 'American') AREN'T American movies. As well as there being nothing wrong with 'dumb' movies... I would claim that all of the films I listed are capable of being enjoyed by the more 'intelligent' film viewer (which clearly you deem yourself as).

Easy A which you probably put into the 'dumb boring American' movie section is much deeper than you would imagine, where it deals with the light hearted troubles of a teenagers sexual exploits it also deals with much more serious problems such as the issues of faith and rape and brings this to the audience of your so-called 'dumb' movies.

But I guess taste is subjective, and as a media student you would expect me to be adoring to the foreign and art films that you clearly pride yourself on...

I N C E P T I O N

kennyt

Clearly I don't agree with you. I could understand how you might suggest … Clearly I don't agree with you. I could understand how you might suggest that Going the Distance would be, but it only made it into my list because it was the first romantic comedy that made me genuinely laugh. Additionally, Exit Through the Gift Shop, My Name Is Khan and HP7 (plus partially Kick-Ass - depending on how you deem a movie 'American') AREN'T American movies. As well as there being nothing wrong with 'dumb' movies... I would claim that all of the films I listed are capable of being enjoyed by the more 'intelligent' film viewer (which clearly you deem yourself as).Easy A which you probably put into the 'dumb boring American' movie section is much deeper than you would imagine, where it deals with the light hearted troubles of a teenagers sexual exploits it also deals with much more serious problems such as the issues of faith and rape and brings this to the audience of your so-called 'dumb' movies. But I guess taste is subjective, and as a media student you would expect me to be adoring to the foreign and art films that you clearly pride yourself on...

media student? oh dear....enough said

inception and kick ass stand out for me. Cant think of any other decent movies, really enjoyed the A team

Banned

Why even mention Avatar in reference to best movies of 2010 and acknowledge it was released in 2009. It doesn't matter when you saw it, it's year of release that counts in a best of year list so Avatar shouldn't be mentioned. Saying that it shouldn't even be mentioned in the 2009 list either..

Banned

Britain's answer to Diablo Cody is Jane Goldman?!? Why??? Because they're both female?

Banned

And nearly every film Lisa Kudrow has made since and even during Friends has seen some serious distance made from her Phoebe character. What are they teaching you in Media Studies???

Banned

Another vote for 4 lions, and I will check out the other films here I haven't seen yet.

I would have to say Sherlock Holmes, Inception, Expendables, Iron Man 2 & A-Team are stand out movies for me (SH and Incep especially, both fantastic films). Harry Potter was good (fan of the books and enjoy the films) but expect the final film to be amazing - else there shall be huge disappointment.

Saw Prince of Persia today, thought it was pretty good, and would be in my top 10 until I thought of others...

Edited by: "DragonChris" 28th Dec 2010

Original Poster

master_chief

Why even mention Avatar in reference to best movies of 2010 and … Why even mention Avatar in reference to best movies of 2010 and acknowledge it was released in 2009. It doesn't matter when you saw it, it's year of release that counts in a best of year list so Avatar shouldn't be mentioned. Saying that it shouldn't even be mentioned in the 2009 list either..

roryk83

media student? oh dear....enough said

pretentious? enough said

Original Poster

Actually screw that, I really am now interested... What would your responses be to my points? I really am interested?

Plus also don't you think if we had a 'Best Music of 2010?' then bashing other peoples opinions wouldn't be there? Film taste is subjective, as in music taste. And you can't knock someone for liking films that you would deem boring, I gave my reasons to why I liked them....

Original Poster

Oh and to the Avatar mention it was because of the re-release in 2010 and also the fact it broke the box office records in 2010 is what I meant, it's not on my list...

Just watched Bonded by blood - very violent film but very enjoyable too. Also liked The hurt locker

Banned

A PROPHET

imdb.com/tit…66/

zombieland was a 2009 btw

Banned

roryk83

The vast majority of the movies you listed in your op, Inception being … The vast majority of the movies you listed in your op, Inception being the exception, are your average boring dumb american moviesFor this years good films check out A Phropet, The secret in their eyes, and Tetro

Agree with everything although never heard of tetro and cant find it on imdb....................

csiman

Agree with everything although never heard of tetro and cant find it on … Agree with everything although never heard of tetro and cant find it on imdb....................

imdb.com/tit…85/ its quite artistic but stick with it

Original Poster

imdb.com/tit…85/

think that's what he means

kennyt

pretentious? enough said

why because I don't rate micky mouse degrees?

The reasons and insights into your choices are pretty poor, the Phoebie from friends one being a great example. Avatar would have to be on a list of the worst films made in the last ten years, it doesn't matter how big the hype and ticket sales were that doesn't equate to a good film.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Is gearbest a legit/safe site to use?2131
    2. Looking for Cineworld 2d voucher34
    3. Advice on claiming from Salford Council pot hole damage66
    4. Best watches under £500?55

See more discussions