Expired

Best free anti virus

Found 4th Apr 2013
Hi, I have always paid for my anti virus but seem to hear a lot of people saying that the free anti virus software is just as good. My anti virus runs out this weekend and wondered if anyone can recommend the best free one? thanks
Community Updates
23 Comments
Always used to use AVG and it did a good job (I just use the built in one on windows 8 now), doesn't constantly jump up and down and demand attention like McAfee etc, although they do try their hardest to make sure you know they have a pro version :P
avast free very good
Kaspersky. Via Barclays Bank, it's free.
Microsoft security essentials
avast is awesome
I have kapersky paid for it and two three times a day updating i find it highly annoying they sent me a free download for another year but i am reluctant
+1. Avast is perfect and easy.
malwarebytes
advancedsystemcare 6
rtmlk

malwarebytesadvancedsystemcare 6

If your cheeky advancedsystemcare 6 pro for free youtube for the code done it loads but i'm a tight **** !
use Linux almost virus free, well miles ahead of windows and mac anyway
Avast is the best for me :-)
+2 Microsoft essential
Rugrats

use Linux almost virus free, well miles ahead of windows and mac anyway

Good shout... Install alongside windows or boot from a USB stick, fast, easy and good for banking etc.
Get a Mac they never get viruses.

Oj

Seriously AVG 2013 (basic free edition)

Paying for any Anti-Virus is like putting money down the drain. Coincidentally I think it is the same as taking my misses out for clothes shopping. She looks fat in everything, who is she kidding with size small.

ROFL
Avast AV (Free) - Very nosey program but extremely good at what it does.
avast.com

Also consider:

Malwarebytes Antimalware (On-demand spyware/malware scanner)
malwarebytes.org

Spywareblaster - Runs in harmony with your browser in background - further protection from malware.
brightfort.com

It may upset some but MSE (IMO) is like a colander.
Holly molly, may I ask what do you use your PC for?
If you don't use any windows specific program, why not try Linux as FrootLoop #14 have suggested, you don't need to go through installing antivirus and a such, give it a try, see youtube on how to try Linux without affecting your windows partition.
AVAST

avoid avg - lost count of the times I have had to clean viruses of peoples' computers running that pile of crap

people who recommend it often dont realise they are infected until they put a different AV utility on

kracker69

I have kapersky paid for it and two three times a day updating i find it … I have kapersky paid for it and two three times a day updating i find it highly annoying they sent me a free download for another year but i am reluctant

I had kaspersky free for a year from barclays last year

a massive resource hog!
thanks everyone!
csiman

I had kaspersky free for a year from barclays last yeara massive resource … I had kaspersky free for a year from barclays last yeara massive resource hog!

McAfee and Norton are massive resource hoggers too and would definately avoid.

Use Avast at the mo...no probs at with it ...
I used to use AVG but as CSI said, I noticed that some stuff was getting through. I've been using Avast! free version for about two yrs now and it's been brilliant. And I just avoid virus ridden Facebook, lol.
AVOID AVAST as it gave me BSOD.

Trust me, AVG 2013.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions