Best free app for controlling an android device using an iPad?

Found 16th Jan 2013
I want to control my dads android device using my iPad, he is in Holland and I'm in England. I have been trawling through different apps for doing this on the Apple App Store and on Google Play, but there are loads and some of them don't appear to be available for both operating systems, I found some which are available on both but after reading the reviews I'm still decided on which one to download.
Community Updates
23 Comments
I thought it wasn't possible, because of the way Android worked, but Google Play does list 3 VNC server variants. 2 of them are free, but require the device to be rooted.

Notice that VNC is not for beginners and will require the router in your or your dads home to be configured to allow the connection/forward the relevant communication ports. Not so simple, unless you know your TCP/IP.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 16th Jan 2013
Original Poster
Thanks for your help.
Original Poster
I think I might of been mistaken about the ones I found being compatible with both operating systems, it's difficult to understand. I found some which were available for both devices but that didn't necessarily mean that I could control one from the other.
Ideally you would use a "hosted service" such as TeamViewer or Logmein for that. While logmein do have a "chargeable" remote support service for Android, it doesn't actually allow you to see the screen of the device - totally useless.

If your dad can plug the Android device into a WIndows PC via USB you could take over that computer with TeamViewer/Logmein and then use this to see the screen (but not control it!).
Which aspects of his phone would you like to control? Also, which phone does he have?

Airdroid.com is very good but you need to be on the same LAN hence also requiring a VPN connection.
Original Poster
SUMMONER

Ideally you would use a "hosted service" such as TeamViewer or Logmein … Ideally you would use a "hosted service" such as TeamViewer or Logmein for that. While logmein do have a "chargeable" remote support service for Android, it doesn't actually allow you to see the screen of the device - totally useless.If your dad can plug the Android device into a WIndows PC via USB you could take over that computer with TeamViewer/Logmein and then use this to see the screen (but not control it!).

That is really, really helpful. I could do what I want to do over the phone with him using that.
Original Poster
Guan

Which aspects of his phone would you like to control? Also, which phone … Which aspects of his phone would you like to control? Also, which phone does he have? Airdroid.com is very good but you need to be on the same LAN hence also requiring a VPN connection.

My dad has a stock Huawei G300, I saw him at Christmas and updated it to ICS. But he has been experiencing problems since then with low memory warnings. I was thinking of uninstalling some apps for him and seeing what else I could do to try and improve the situation. If I rooted it and got rid of some of the bloatware that would help, being able to update to JB and move all the apps to SD might help too, but there's no official JB yet I don't think.
Original Poster
I have a MacBook but only use it a little, am always on my iPad unless there is something I can only do using the laptop. I should of mentioned that before, it might be easier for me to do it using that?
Original Poster
I just thought it would be easy to do it with my iPad and that I wouldn't have to use my laptop.
Keep it simple, buy a used G300, set it up and then post it to him.

Airdroid will work in conjunction with TeamViewer/Logmein, provided your dad has a PC/Mac connected to the same Internet connection as the phone. However it is limited, like the Logmein for Android service, to certain functions only.
Original Poster
I just realised I can login to his Google account and remove apps from his phone in the Google Play store.
Original Poster
SUMMONER

Keep it simple, buy a used G300, set it up and then post it to … Keep it simple, buy a used G300, set it up and then post it to him.Airdroid will work in conjunction with TeamViewer/Logmein, provided your dad has a PC/Mac connected to the same Internet connection as the phone.

He has Airdroid already so I can give that a go thanks. I bought him the phone midway through last year and set it up for him then, it was fine on Gingerbread and I didn't expect updating to ICS to cause a problem.
I don't like ICS. I upgraded my Sony Mini Pro from Gingerbread to ICS and it became rather sluggish. Went back to Gingerbread after a week, until I finally found a Jellybean ROM on the XDADevs forum - which works much smoother than ICS did.
NUMBER8GAMESTER

The Google Play Store doesn't show all of his apps, I know he has loads … The Google Play Store doesn't show all of his apps, I know he has loads more downloaded than its showing there.

You will not be able to see the phone's screen in Airdroid, but there will be a menu in which you can see all the apps and remove the ones he doesn't use.
Original Poster
SUMMONER

You will not be able to see the phone's screen in Airdroid, but there … You will not be able to see the phone's screen in Airdroid, but there will be a menu in which you can see all the apps and remove the ones he doesn't use.

Wow you were quick, I removed that post within 15 seconds of posting it. I managed to find the rest of the apps I was looking for in the Google Play Store using my iPad to log into his Google account.But thanks again for the advice!
Edited by: "NUMBER8GAMESTER" 16th Jan 2013
I have to correct myself. There is a screenshot function in Airdroid, which allows you to see the screen in a semi real-time fashion.

I am trying it on my Archos tablet right now. It's very sluggish, but does work.

With this you could talk your dad step by step through more advanced stuff.

Original Poster
SUMMONER

I have to correct myself. There is a screenshot function in Airdroid, … I have to correct myself. There is a screenshot function in Airdroid, which allows you to see the screen in a semi real-time fashion.I am trying it on my Archos tablet right now. It's very sluggish, but does work.With this you could talk your dad step by step through more advanced stuff.

Do you have an Archos 80 Cobalt?
NUMBER8GAMESTER

Do you have an Archos 80 Cobalt?

That's the one. Good hardware, but the Android OS is incredibly buggy.
Original Poster
SUMMONER

That's the one. Good hardware, but the Android OS is incredibly buggy.

I got my dad one of those for Christmas and understand what you're talking about because I tested it for a few days before he went back to Holland. I did actually want to try and get access to his Archos tablet as well because he's having trouble downloading certain apps. I downloaded Tunein Radio for him while he was here using the back up the app file on another android device and send it to the Archos via email technique. I was wondering whether I could do that remotely from here or not?
Absolutely, find the APK file on the Net or export it from an existing device via FileExpert, send it to the Windows PC/Mac at your dad's house, that you are using to control the Android device and install it via Airdroid - easy.
Original Poster
SUMMONER

Absolutely, find the APK file on the Net or export it from an existing … Absolutely, find the APK file on the Net or export it from an existing device via FileExpert, send it to the Windows PC/Mac at your dad's house, that you are using to control the Android device and install it via Airdroid - easy.

That is brilliant thank you!
Original Poster
I really appreciate all of the help I've got in this thread, all of my problems are solved now. My dad is a retired pensioner and he's not particularly tech savvy so giving him directions blind often results in him doing the wrong thing or not understanding, or both... Most frustrating it is!
Edited by: "NUMBER8GAMESTER" 16th Jan 2013
Just tried Droid VNC server on my rooted Archos Cobalt tablet, it works.

Again, it is very sluggish, but I can now see the tablet screen and use my mouse to control it remotely.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants