best free smartphone app for sat nav and how much data will it use on a 2 hour trip?

Found 30th Jan 2016
i have only 250mb data allowance, will this cripple me for infrequent journeys or should i buy a sat nav
Community Updates
18 Comments
I will probably be stupid here but I though GPS didn't use standard data, therefore Google maps uses very little.
Download Here Maps (used to be called Nokia Maps), it doesn't use any data if you use it offline, you just download the country map to use it offline, I have used it all over the world and it has never let me down.
ibblackberry1

I will probably be stupid here but I though GPS didn't use standard data, … I will probably be stupid here but I though GPS didn't use standard data, therefore Google maps uses very little.

Your right nav software only use data for map downloads and live traffic update.
Gps doesn't used data.
download navmii from play store it
is a good app and doesnt use any data on GPS
Google maps "offline" is basicaly useless-however, you can now download maps/areas for offline use which makes it usable. But still, you wont have any search facilty.

Personally, i find Here Maps best for offline use, again by downloading the maps beforehand.
navmii I've used in florida it uses gps on maps u download and free in playstore
Original Poster
many thanks for quick responses, most helpful
weeZl

i have only 250mb data allowance, will this cripple me for infrequent … i have only 250mb data allowance, will this cripple me for infrequent journeys or should i buy a sat nav

That's pretty mean these days, I am sure you could find at least 1 GB for a decent price and then you wouldn't have to worry even if using the app on-line. Probably work out a lot cheaper than buying a sat nav.
I vote for here maps also for offline
I use mapfactor navigator. use everyday for job. no data use. all maps and cameras downloaded and its free.
Here Maps - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.here.app.maps&hl=en_GB
Navmii - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.ALL&hl=en_GB
Mapfactor - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapfactor.navigator&hl=en_GB

Those are the 3 best, I've tried them all. Personally I prefer Navmii overall due to the search facility in my experience finds where you want to go more efficiently especially with misspelt words and so on. However it depends on your own preference which is best and well worth trying each out at home before you start or alternatively get all 3 download the relevant maps and try them out over a period of time to see which feels the best in actual use.
joedastudd

Your right nav software only use data for map downloads and live traffic … Your right nav software only use data for map downloads and live traffic update.Gps doesn't used data.

​i have a htc one m8 for my "normal" phone. and have a windows phone just for the free offline maps for the satnav feature
I can't comment on the others but I've been using Here Maps for a few years as a car, biking and walking around towns sat nav. It's free and does not use data. I've used it all around Europe and wouldn't be without it.
Have they put TTS back into Here maps yet?
When I installed on my new phone, I had to recover the TTS voices from the old one - still got them, and already posted them for a user on here.

Also, Here behaves quite well even when online, if you have the offline map downloaded, then you can use traffic and it doesn't use much data, as it still uses the offline map.
I prefer here maps as you can add collections of favourite places via the windows app (synced with online server)
Here Maps has just been bought by a company co owned by BMW, Audi and Mercedes, if its good enough for them....
Hooefully that doesn't lead it it changing for mobile users but apparently it will continue as is for now...
Satnavs these days often come with free lifetime map updates,search hukd, you might find a bargain.
Sometimes having the screen on and gps and the phone pulling all that power can cause overheating (especially if you have it in a case) google your phone to see if it has any issues first (as we all know, stuff works perfectly when you're sitting in the house!)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions