Groups
    EXPIRED

Best Freeview PVR about at the moment?

Been using Play TV for a number of years to watch/record freeview but it only has the capability of recording one thing at once, it doesn't support HD and lately it has been refusing to record.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

15 Comments

Humax are generally very good. They do freeview and freesat versions, twin tuners, etc.

Original Poster

Tony68k

Humax are generally very good. They do freeview and freesat versions, … Humax are generally very good. They do freeview and freesat versions, twin tuners, etc.

Thanks, will have a look into that brand.

I recently picked up the BT YouView+ box and couldn't be happier - and I would second Tony68k's recommendation of Humax, as they make the internals for the BT box!

You need a decent internet connection to make the most out of it however, as the youview features rely on it completely for catch-up TV etc.

Original Poster

Well I've got BT fibre optic so speed isn't an issue, will check out the BT youview+ box too, thanks.

Talktalk youview box as well.

Youview box, everything in one place on one remote control.
    A few features i've just noticed/found
    I have talktalk's box, and I can record sky one's streamed content straight from the epg
    If a freeview recording fails (rainstorm etc), the box will look for a repeat in the epg and program the timer for you!
    Also, I've noticed an icon comes on the tv screen during a program advertisement saying "press green button to
    set recording"
    Lastly, you can get an app to set recordings while your out (I'm always down my mothers when I spot a program ad!)

Original Poster

esar

Youview box, everything in one place on one remote control.A few features … Youview box, everything in one place on one remote control.A few features i've just noticed/foundI have talktalk's box, and I can record sky one's streamed content straight from the epgIf a freeview recording fails (rainstorm etc), the box will look for a repeat in the epg and program the timer for you!Also, I've noticed an icon comes on the tv screen during a program advertisement saying "press green button to set recording"Lastly, you can get an app to set recordings while your out (I'm always down my mothers when I spot a program ad!)

Thanks for that reply, much apprecited.

Original Poster

Just to bump this. I've yet to take the plunge and get a box - looking at picking up a used box but unsure which model to get as I've seen various people talking about problems with the 2nd gen BT youview box, etc, therefore, which model is best?

If you keep waiting for something better to come around, you'll be waiting forever. My talktalk boxes interface is slow and clunky, but in the end it records what I want it to and plays them back.

Original Poster

Yeah I suppose you're right, just need to find a decent deal then me thinks

I got a humax for £90 new 2 year warranty from sainsburys may be worth having a look think they are clearing them out
    Edited by: "mattmerch" 30th Apr 2015

I've read the Humax Youview branded boxes can be problematic, which surprised me as I'm a big supporter of the brand (don't have one: I have the Freeview HD Fox T2). The Fox T2 has been great, overall, though I have had issues with the remote control being unresponsive*, and many others complain about the same fault.

I had a PVR8000T many moons ago which was problem-free.

*Edit: This was suggested as a fix, which has helped, though I still find the remote sensor is flakey. hummy.tv/for…24/
    Edited by: "louiselouise" 30th Apr 2015

Original Poster

Thank you both for the replies. Seems to be the same thing with the boxes in general, small faults or gripes, might just have to pick one and hope for the best

Ronaldeano

Thank you both for the replies. Seems to be the same thing with the boxes … Thank you both for the replies. Seems to be the same thing with the boxes in general, small faults or gripes, might just have to pick one and hope for the best

the humax I got from sainsburys was listed as which magazines best buy at £200

Original Poster

Will check that out, thanks again.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sky or virgin66
      2. Best graphics card between £100-£15022
      3. 34 inch Ultrawide Monitor Suggestions35
      4. Need Some Help Connecting An Old Laptop To A New TV35

See more discussions