Best games console for 7 &11 year olds?!

34 replies
Found 25th Nov 2016
Toying with buying a games bundle while they`re on offer - not sure what to go with? Ps4 Xbox or even the Xbox one s? Haven`t a clue as not a gamer!

34 Comments

PlayStation 4 Slim + Dragon Quest Builders = "A GREAT REASON TO BUILD"

Xbox one - No point in going for the S unless you have a 4k tv or plan on getting one anytime soon.

I cant speak for PS4 as we have both 360 and Xbox one and the kids mostly play minecraft, storymode or watch youtube.

Its all down to preference, kids will want whichever console their friends have and there isn't much between the 2

My kids prefer the PS4 over Xbox One. I think there's probably a better selection of kids games on the PS4. Here's some decent ones which are worth checking out: Ratchet & Clank, Little Big Planet 3, Tearaway, Knack.

And another bonus is VR, which is a lot of fun.

PS4

ps4

I agree ps4 is for more older gamers - `xbox is more kid friendly plus every kid the playground plays minecraft

JackBauer

My kids prefer the PS4 over Xbox One. I think there's probably a better … My kids prefer the PS4 over Xbox One. I think there's probably a better selection of kids games on the PS4. Here's some decent ones which are worth checking out: Ratchet & Clank, Little Big Planet 3, Tearaway, Knack.And another bonus is VR, which is a lot of fun.

^THIS^ Too Much of Minecraft ain't good.
Edited by: "RavusXVI" 25th Nov 2016

Even xbox 360 at that age - tho xbox ones are so cheap now

Out of the new console I would go for PS4 over Xbox one s but tbh both are a bit crap and for that age group you'd be better off with a PS3 as there are a lot more games that are decent (especially for kids) . I struggle to find anything to play with my 10 yr old son on the PS4 and have given up playing it completely myself

Original Poster

Thanks everone - looks like it`s 50/50 ?!
JackBauer - Was going to ask for game recommendations, as I don`t want them playing GTA etc
Will def get Minecraft & look into the others - Any good racing games? (and what`s VR?!)
When I had a quick look in sainsburys earlier they said they sell twice as many PS4`s to Xbox?

Original Poster

I`v put off buying one, as I don`t particularly want them looking at the tv screen for hours. I`ll have to obv limit play time. My son says he`s the only one in his class that doesn`t have a console!

wait and get a nintendo shield. The kid could even take it on holidays. otherwise a nintendo 2ds o 3ds. it's portable so no nasty wires and lots of games for children. professor layton series, pokemon, yoshi's island and even many kirby games

My kids 9 and 11 love rocket league if they are a fan of car games.

badgerrules

My kids 9 and 11 love rocket league if they are a fan of car games.

That's their ages, not names

always liked Nintendo for the younger ones - but if you don't want to wait for the shield, i'd go down the xbox route

Original Poster

They want to play on a bigger screen than a DS
Don`t throw Nintendo into the equation - confuse me even more! Haven`t even heard of nintendo shield

cazsilver

They want to play on a bigger screen than a DSDon`t throw Nintendo into … They want to play on a bigger screen than a DSDon`t throw Nintendo into the equation - confuse me even more! Haven`t even heard of nintendo shield

It's the Nintendo Switch not Shield & it will play on the TV as well as being a handheld. But not released until March so no good for Christmas.

Banned

Get them a GameCube.

cazsilver

My son says he`s the only one in his class that doesn`t have a console!

Classic blackmail!

Future sheep in the making

Original Poster

RS1986

Classic blackmail!Future sheep in the making

Yes hence why I`v ignored it for years

cazsilver

Yes hence why I`v ignored it for years

Respect, must be hard nowadays with everything being online! 25 years back if someone else in my class or a friend owned a console I didn't have to care as you'd always be asked around to make up the numbers and every Christmas I could ask for a new Bike because mine would get abused riding everywhere X)

Original Poster

RS1986

Respect, must be hard nowadays with everything being online! 25 years … Respect, must be hard nowadays with everything being online! 25 years back if someone else in my class or a friend owned a console I didn't have to care as you'd always be asked around to make up the numbers and every Christmas I could ask for a new Bike because mine would get abused riding everywhere X)

I wish that was still the case....

margauswe

wait and get a nintendo shield. The kid could even take it on holidays. … wait and get a nintendo shield. The kid could even take it on holidays. otherwise a nintendo 2ds o 3ds. it's portable so no nasty wires and lots of games for children. professor layton series, pokemon, yoshi's island and even many kirby games

​Ooo that Nintendo shield sounds exciting, they must have teamed up with nivea, yeah?

Go with what type of games they like and if friends have so they can then play live with them ( thats the best part at their ages!) We got out son xbox 1 yet he still plays on his 360 live with all his friends!

My daughter is 10 and I got her a PS4 for xmas but the choice of games is very limited - you will be stuck to the under 12 games range. She often ends up playing games on the WII U as their games are much more child friendlier. If its for a girl the choice is much more difficult, 90% of the games are aimed at boys. We have never been attracted to an Xbox because of the lack of games she could play.

Original Poster

It`s for 2 boys.
Most of his friends have xbox apparently, so I`m swaying towards that. Tesco direct have a bundle offer- xbox one s, minecraft, forza Horizon (racing game?!) Fifa 17 & an extra controller for £236.
Any deals to beat that?

Original Poster

Can I ask a question? Can

coopern1

Go with what type of games they like and if friends have so they can then … Go with what type of games they like and if friends have so they can then play live with them ( thats the best part at their ages!) We got out son xbox 1 yet he still plays on his 360 live with all his friends!

So can you only play live if it`s the exact same console? can you not play a friend on Xbox if you have the newer "s"console?

Xbox One without a doubt.

You wouldn't want them to get laughed at when they go back to school fam

cazsilver

Can I ask a question? Can So can you only play live if it`s the exact … Can I ask a question? Can So can you only play live if it`s the exact same console? can you not play a friend on Xbox if you have the newer "s"console?

Any Xbox One, the "s" variant or otherwise all play on the same network

cazsilver

It`s for 2 boys.Most of his friends have xbox apparently, so I`m swaying … It`s for 2 boys.Most of his friends have xbox apparently, so I`m swaying towards that. Tesco direct have a bundle offer- xbox one s, minecraft, forza Horizon (racing game?!) Fifa 17 & an extra controller for £236.Any deals to beat that?

Yep xbox 1 and s will work live together .. but if 360 their friends will need 360 . Good deal from tesco i havent seen better than that. Game have live £25 for the year at mo

Original Poster

Oh I think one of his best friends has 360, oh well.
I casually mentioned Nintendo wii, apparently that`s not cool, for babies. How times have changed.
I was just going to get an xbox one, but the package "s" deal works out pretty much the same with the games & extra controller.
Anyway thanks so much for all your help & advise peeps - I don`t want to choose the best answer as all valid!

Original Poster

benjammin316

Xbox One without a doubt.You wouldn't want them to get laughed at when … Xbox One without a doubt.You wouldn't want them to get laughed at when they go back to school fam

It`s blooming ridiculous (and sad) how competitive the children are these days. Apparently a boy in my sons class has an iphone 7! were talking year 6 not even secondary school oO

cazsilver

It`s blooming ridiculous (and sad) how competitive the children are these … It`s blooming ridiculous (and sad) how competitive the children are these days. Apparently a boy in my sons class has an iphone 7! were talking year 6 not even secondary school oO

Mental isn't it!

an yeah, don't get him a Wii U! X)

Personally id get xbox 1 or 1s ... youll prob find the best friend whose got 360 will upgrade at some point
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Swimming goggles for 3 year old21
    2. Parkopedia, can the info be trusted22
    3. What is gearbest like on warranty?78
    4. Whatsup number, confused33

See more discussions