Best gigabit router

Found 19th Aug 2010
My router is the bottleneck of my network and I'm struggling to stream some of my higher bitrate mkv files.

Currently have a gigabit switch running to PS3, Revo, PC and QNap but router is only capable of 100mbps.

Hit me with your rhythm stick!

1. Misc
  2. Router
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Router
15 Comments

Original Poster

Title did say under £100 but Sir Bugalot of HUKD has had his say again.

Don't mind paying a bit more if it's good.

are you sure your router is the bottleneck? I streamupto 25gig mkv files from a NAS connected to a 100mbps router via a homeplug which runs at about 80mbps to a media center (ION330) and have no problems?

I'm just thinking 100mbps should be no problem?
Edited by: "worto03" 19th Aug 2010

I have a DGND3300 Rangemax boxed that is just gathering dust if you are interested?

Original Poster

worto03

are you sure your router is the bottleneck? I streamupto 25gig mkv files … are you sure your router is the bottleneck? I streamupto 25gig mkv files from a NAS connected to a 100mbps router via a homeplug which runs at about 80mbps to a media center (ION330) and have no problems?I'm just thinking 100mbps should be no problem?

I think this is the problem, I play the files from the PC to my PS3 and notice the playback stutters quite a bit. I know the PS3 is not the greatest media player so don't know if that's the issue. The CPU on my PC when streaming is only about 20% so can't be under heavy load. I use PS3 media server if that helps. May be some tweaks to the settings for that? Haven't tried streaming to the revo yet.

I used to have 85mbps homeplugs like you and there is no way I would of been able to play 1080p mkv files over them.

Original Poster

woddle1000

I have a DGND3300 Rangemax boxed that is just gathering dust if you are … I have a DGND3300 Rangemax boxed that is just gathering dust if you are interested?

Reviews don't seem great for it mate so will pass on that.

mr.potato_head

I think this is the problem, I play the files from the PC to my PS3 and … I think this is the problem, I play the files from the PC to my PS3 and notice the playback stutters quite a bit. I know the PS3 is not the greatest media player so don't know if that's the issue. The CPU on my PC when streaming is only about 20% so can't be under heavy load. .

Have you had a look at what your hard drive is doing? If you are streaming media files it is often the hard disk\disk subsystem that is under pressure rather than the cpu. Also worth checking your anti-virus to make sure it isn't scanning the files as they are sent - this causes a lot of problems in the business world and slows transfers to a crawl.

Dave

Oh, and forgot to ask - have you set the switch ports (and those on your kit) manually to Gigabit, full duplex? Having the ports set to auto often causes mis-matches between the switch speed and the device which shows up as your exact problem.

Dave

I used to have 85mbps homeplugs like you and there is no way I would of … I used to have 85mbps homeplugs like you and there is no way I would of been able to play 1080p mkv files over them.

I've not got much time at the mo just about to head off to London but wanted to say I've got the 200 homeplugs they just give me about 80mbps actual throughput - I don't think the 85mbps homeplugs are really good enough for HD streaming but I've not tried them. Either way thats a bit of a side issue as your not using them anyway.

would be worth trying to stream to the Revo before you splash out on a new router to narrow down exactly where the problem is.

If your playback device and storage device are connected to the same 1000Mbps switch, then your router isn't at fault - that's the whole point of a switched network. Also, as somebody else said above, a 100Mbps network should be just fine for streaming this stuff - many media players only come with 10/100 ports.

Your main issue here is going to be the PS3, it sucks a bit as a media player and doesn't even play mkv natively.

Replacing your router isn't going to help anything, assuming your plugged in correctly you should even be able to unplug your router without it affecting your streaming.

You could have a faulty ethernet cable - ensure all your cables are undamaged and certified to CAT5e (the e is important for gigabit) or CAT6.

Banned

I'll chime in with 100Mb/s should be quick enough for streaming HD files. As some people may be aware, I like to use BD iso files were possible rather than MKVs and these bad boys have bitrates up to 40Mb/s. This is the maximum of any file types you should be dealing with so 100Mb/s kit is fine for this.

I do use a gigabit switch for my back-end server machines as I transfer and backup large files and it makes a huge difference there.

Banned

I have this router by the way and I can't honestly recommend it as it hasn't been the best I've had. A firmware update fixed a lot of the drop out issues I was having but I still need to manually reset it occasionally when streaming anything can sometimes be affected.

Linksys WAG320N

my BiPAC 7800N is well stable never had to reboot it in over 6 months and flys
broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Sho…074
just over budget but its worth it

Banned

djnaff

my BiPAC 7800N is well stable never had to reboot it in over 6 months … my BiPAC 7800N is well stable never had to reboot it in over 6 months and flys[url=http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=8074]http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=8074[/url] just over budget but its worth it

I've heard good things, wish I'd bought this instead of the Linksys.

under you network card 10/100/1000 look to see if you have an optimise for CPU or throughput option

ps3 into Gswitch port 3] rj11 into router / port 1 router (to port 1 switch*) *neatness pc port 3... all other 1000 devices cabled from device to gigabit switch all cat 5e or higher. No jumbo frames.

Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I suspect it's probably just the PS3 not being up to the job due to its lack of MKV support and PS3 media server having to transcode on the fly.

Will try the Revo as it's definitely not a problem with cabling. May check the Hard drive, it's a Samsung 1.5 tb F2 so shouldn't have any problems, gets defragged regularly etc

Light on the switch is green so PS3 settings dont need changing as it's already utilising the gigabit.

If the router is not an issue I guess I won't be buying one.

Thanks again
Post a comment
@
    Text