Groups

best gloss paint

decorating my house and would like opinions on best gloss paint oil or water based
    any pro decorators out there?

20 Comments

I'm currently using Armstead Undercoat/Primer and Satin*, both water based, excellent coverage and finish and not too expensive compared to Dulux Trade, and its manufactured by Akzo Nobel, same as Dulux, will use again when the time comes.

Available from Dulux Decorator centres.

*I'd hazard a guess that the Gloss would be equally as good.

Oil based gloss will always yellow in time, whatever brand you use.

Johnstones aqua gloss. Water based.
    Brilliant paint better than Dulux quick drying which was awful left paintbrush strokes everywhere...

Go waterbased gloss. Dulux Trade quick drying is the best one but I can't stop the odd run. It's a little thin but levels off like glass one window sills. Johnstones aqua gloss is a little thicker, so easier to use but don't level off as well as dulux. Watch youtube for how to use. You must use waterbased Undercoat and dampen down surfaces before you gloss.

Original Poster

from my own investigations the johnstone aqua was top of my list but keen to hear other peoples views/reviews

oil based

coolcraig999

from my own investigations the johnstone aqua was top of my list but keen … from my own investigations the johnstone aqua was top of my list but keen to hear other peoples views/reviews

​Yes. Johnstones aqua Is a good gloss. The brush marks you hear about is caused by heat. Several months during the summer makes the paint thicken to quickly when brushed on. Spray it on is the answer, but for most folks this is not possible.

I'm interested in this as I'm fed up of trying different gloss paints and they keep turning yellow,I hadn't heard of the Aqua Gloss one so I will look into that as one I used in the Summer has gone Yellow already but I can't remember which brand it was.

Leyland fast drying water based for me, no smell, quick recoat and lasts well. also easy to clean brushes and good brilliant white finish. satinwood my preference but each to their own.

I swear by the cheap "your home" waterbased quick dry satin gloss in asda and also b&m. Ranged between £5-10 for a small tin. It's all i use now as found it usually only needs one coat, touch dry in an hour and hardly any smell. You have to be careful using in the sun as ot will dry too quick but all water based do that anyway.

screwfix.com/p/l…048

This one is great. Goes on well, fast drying and doesn't go yellow - at least hasn't so far!

abbss1

Johnstones aqua gloss. Water based.Brilliant paint better than Dulux … Johnstones aqua gloss. Water based.Brilliant paint better than Dulux quick drying which was awful left paintbrush strokes everywhere...

+1

Did my house 2 years ago and still as brilliant white as day one. Superb stuff but not cheap but it is in the long run. Dries very smooth and is really tough for water based gloss. Dries quickly so don't paint on hot days.

Edited by: "chocci" 20th Nov 2016

ive just had my home decorated and the painters said use satin not gloss

Original Poster

i have gone for the johnstones aqua undecoat and gloss, start next week will post an update, thanks for the replies

coolcraig999

i have gone for the johnstones aqua undecoat and gloss, start next week … i have gone for the johnstones aqua undecoat and gloss, start next week will post an update, thanks for the replies

dont forget half decent brushes

these are cheap but excellent value for money

ebay.co.uk/itm…002?hash=item1a0b4b0e92:g:xXIAAOSwk1JWfZXA

coolcraig999

i have gone for the johnstones aqua undecoat and gloss, start next week … i have gone for the johnstones aqua undecoat and gloss, start next week will post an update, thanks for the replies

Hoping it's a good result as I will be buying some too,good luck.

Original Poster

chocci

dont forget half decent brushesthese are cheap but excellent value for … dont forget half decent brushesthese are cheap but excellent value for moneyhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paint-Brush-Set-Harris-Platinum-DIY-Decorating-5-Brush-Pack-With-Wooden-Handles-/111858618002?hash=item1a0b4b0e92:g:xXIAAOSwk1JWfZXA

haha bought these yesterday from amazon, i have used them before and was impressed with them

Any update please ?

Original Poster

deb8z

Any update please ?

hi, yes undercoat is easy to apply and dries in 30 mins, gloss also easy to apply and touch dry in a few hours, no smell easy to wash with water and soap liquid
    the end result is very white doors with a more than decent shine, I will use this again for sure..

coolcraig999

hi, yes undercoat is easy to apply and dries in 30 mins, gloss also easy … hi, yes undercoat is easy to apply and dries in 30 mins, gloss also easy to apply and touch dry in a few hours, no smell easy to wash with water and soap liquidthe end result is very white doors with a more than decent shine, I will use this again for sure..

Thank you,I'm gonna go for that in the new year.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains109
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick1010
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2121

See more discussions