best graphics card 230£ or under

11 replies
Found 11th Jan
whats the best card for my budget
been looking at a rx480 nitro for 249€ on amazon .fr
any suggestions ?

11 Comments

as of now either the rx480 and gtx1060. rx480 is more future proof (fine wine) and will be better when more games support dx12.

I would definitely say the 8gb RX480 perhaps this one(I know it's not the nitro)?
scan.co.uk/pro…230

If it isnt the 8GB version, you might as well go for the RX470.

The MSI RX470 Gaming 8GB is only 1-2% behind the standard 480 in frame rates in most tests, and as games and screens get bigger, you will need all the VRAM to keep up. 8GB means I can triple buffer and not lose any performance at 1080p.

Going by benchmarks alone the GTX 1060, 6GB is the best card around this price. You may not get one today at this price but if you check here you usually see them on offer.

It is rumoured that the RX 480 (4GB or 8GB) will outperform the GTX 1060 for future games running directx 12 but you cannot say for certain. If you are getting the RX 480, then I recommend the 4GB version as you get the same benchmarks but it is a good bit cheaper than the 8GB version.

The RX 480 performs better on paper and is better value, but AMD can't make drivers for anything. My friend always buys AMD and you can't help but laugh every time he crashes out of games with every card he gets and he still won't accept the common link is AMD, he's saving money but at what expense? I had so many issues when I tried them I'd never go back.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 11th Jan

Don't forget that the rx480 can also be crossfired in future.

Rabmac1

Going by benchmarks alone the GTX 1060, 6GB is the best card around this … Going by benchmarks alone the GTX 1060, 6GB is the best card around this price. You may not get one today at this price but if you check here you usually see them on offer.

Going by benchmarks there's no difference, they're within 3-5% of each other with the latest drivers. You're never going to notice one way or the other.

What you will notice is the extra smoothness that comes from running an RX 480 with a freesync monitor, or the better support for real time streaming using nVidia's NVENC encoder compared with VCE. Feature support should be the deciding factor, because you're not going to see any difference in performance.

Freesync is probably the biggest advantage right now, so I'd say the default choice is the RX 480 if you've no inclination either way.

I've got an 8gb RX 480 and its a superb card, love it.

the 1060 is also a great card and you wont be disappointed with either to be honest. I went for the rx480 as freesync monitors are cheaper than gsync,

Rabmac1

Going by benchmarks alone the GTX 1060, 6GB is the best card around this … Going by benchmarks alone the GTX 1060, 6GB is the best card around this price. You may not get one today at this price but if you check here you usually see them on offer.It is rumoured that the RX 480 (4GB or 8GB) will outperform the GTX 1060 for future games running directx 12 but you cannot say for certain. If you are getting the RX 480, then I recommend the 4GB version as you get the same benchmarks but it is a good bit cheaper than the 8GB version.

The RX 480 now performs the better of the two by a fraction based on benchmarks of all the major game releases of 2016. The relative performance has increased by about 10% since release, due to excellent driver updates and more Directx 12 releases. Looks like the rumours are correct the 480 stretches its lead in Directx 12.

Original Poster

is a rx460 adequate for 1080p ?

bazzadotdoc

The RX 480 now performs the better of the two by a fraction based on … The RX 480 now performs the better of the two by a fraction based on benchmarks of all the major game releases of 2016. The relative performance has increased by about 10% since release, due to excellent driver updates and more Directx 12 releases. Looks like the rumours are correct the 480 stretches its lead in Directx 12.

That is possible as I have not looked at benchmarks over the last few months but I remember when cards came out that the GTX 1060 was outperforming the RX 480. So apologies if my advice is slightly dated.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. What is gearbest like on warranty?11
    2. active noise cancelling headphones10
    3. Difference between these WD 1TB Black HDDs22
    4. £300 for a XZ1 Compact Worth Keeping or return34

See more discussions