Groups
    EXPIRED

BEST GRAPHICS CARD FOR MAX £100

i need a new graphics card that will let me run crysis at medium or high detail and COD 4 & 5 on high detail on my system

AMD Athlon x2 7750 Black Edition
    2GB 1066mhz HyperX ram
    On board Geforce 8200 (could use for SLI ?)

14 Comments

The 9400GT is available from PC World collect in store only for £48.92 provided you book it online. Near me it's in Mile End Road and Kensington but availability will vary across the country.

Original Poster

andythebrave;4476709

The 9400GT is available from PC World collect in store only for £48.92 … The 9400GT is available from PC World collect in store only for £48.92 provided you book it online. Near me it's in Mile End Road and Kensington but availability will vary across the country.

but is the 9400GT better then the 8800GS ?

Sorry, I haven't a clue, just assumed that as you'd mentioned it in your original post that it would be ok.

My limited knowledge of these things would seem to be telling me that 512MB is a better thing to have than 384MB.

Sorry, near you, Rotherham, Doncaster and Barnsley are ok.

Also Doncaster only for the XFX GeForce 9400GT at £59.95.

Original Poster

andythebrave;4476881

Sorry, near you, Rotherham, Doncaster and Barnsley are ok.Also Doncaster … Sorry, near you, Rotherham, Doncaster and Barnsley are ok.Also Doncaster only for the XFX GeForce 9400GT at £59.95.

i need to know if the 9400GT would run Cod 4 on high detail and crysis on medium detail

I found this hardwaresecrets.com/art…132 that appears to indicate that the 8800GS is a better performing card.

I have seen on techsupportforum.com that Crysis is playable on the 9400GT at 45fps 800 x 600 high and medium but if you've a fairly standard monitor you'll be wanting a higher resolution than that and the refresh rate will undoubtedly suffer, probably a lot.

Original Poster

bump !

Original Poster

Last Bump

TBH I've done a bit of looking around and it would seem that to get Crysis to play on a 19" or larger monitor at 'proper' resolution and a decent frame rate is going to take quite a bit more than a £50-£60 card. It's only a quick look around but I think you'll be needing at least a 9800GT 1GB available here novatech.co.uk/nov…gt1 for £95.44 with a free delivery option.
    On the High Street Maplin do one but it's £149.99 maplin.co.uk/Mod…782
    Whether it's worth spending more will depend on how often you would make use of its abilities in the area above the budget end of the market.

Original Poster

andythebrave;4480928

TBH I've done a bit of looking around and it would seem that to get … TBH I've done a bit of looking around and it would seem that to get Crysis to play on a 19" or larger monitor at 'proper' resolution and a decent frame rate is going to take quite a bit more than a £50-£60 card. It's only a quick look around but I think you'll be needing at least a 9800GT 1GB available here http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?nov-98gt1#top for £95.44 with a free delivery option.On the High Street Maplin do one but it's £149.99 http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=226782Whether it's worth spending more will depend on how often you would make use of its abilities in the area above the budget end of the market.

Thanks do you think a 9800GT will play crysis in high detail ?

High detail yes but you're still not looking at terribly impressive frame rates probably somewhere around the 25-35 fps mark. Lower the detail a little and it should give you anywhere between 40 and 55-60 fps. What monitor res/size do you have?
    Thing with Crysis is that top level everything means using some technology (is it SLI?) that costs a mint.Everything else is a compromise but the thing that is absolutely most annoying if your card won't do it is to have a frame rate that is too slow so get that sorted and see what sort of levels you can get on everything else.
    You can obviously do better then the 9800GT but it's just going to cost more and more.

Original Poster

andythebrave;4481345

High detail yes but you're still not looking at terribly impressive frame … High detail yes but you're still not looking at terribly impressive frame rates probably somewhere around the 25-35 fps mark. Lower the detail a little and it should give you anywhere between 40 and 55-60 fps. What monitor res/size do you have?Thing with Crysis is that top level everything means using some technology (is it SLI?) that costs a mint.Everything else is a compromise but the thing that is absolutely most annoying if your card won't do it is to have a frame rate that is too slow so get that sorted and see what sort of levels you can get on everything else.You can obviously do better then the 9800GT but it's just going to cost more and more.

i use a 20" Samsung SM2032MW monitor, i cant spend anymore then £100 on a graphics card because i dont usually play PC games just thought id give them a try more or a console person myself

scott160592;4481395

i use a 20" Samsung SM2032MW monitor, i cant spend anymore then £100 on a … i use a 20" Samsung SM2032MW monitor, i cant spend anymore then £100 on a graphics card because i dont usually play PC games just thought id give them a try more or a console person myself

And agree that 9800GT will be the best for under £100. Just adjust game settings until you get an acceptable frame rate and blast away!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want some backless loafers for men66
      2. Any good robotic lawn mower someone could recommend?22
      3. Parcel Hero weight adjustment610
      4. Looking for a deal on nowtv movies34

See more discussions