Posted 3 May 2023

Best heat deflector for Mini Kamado?

Hi all,

I have a mini Kamado that I bought 2 years ago. I know that loads on here have also got it from Aldi/Lidl.

I am a noob when it comes to BBQ. I just put some charcoal in, and toss some burgers, sausages or wings and let them cook. They come out okay, but nothing 'amazing'

I'm now looking to take this a bit more seriously. I love eating whole chickens (we have a halogen oven, and it comes out great) and I want to start doing this 'low and slow' stuff.

I've been told that it's essential to have a heat deflector.

Can someone recommend me one? There is one on ebay for £15, but it's made from mild steel (so will rust) but does this matter?

I know it's cheaper to make one, but I don't like using my angle grinder (well I bought one ages ago from deal here, but it remains unopned)
Community Updates
New Comment

3 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I have a mini kamado. I just use a tin foil pie dish or equivalent, folded up to the shape I want and lay it on top of the coals - lasts a few roasts before I have to chuck it away and replace.
    Just having a look at the mini kamado, I don't know if there's space for a deflector.

With the larger Kamado, the deflector sits between the charcoal bowl and the grills used for food. Kind of like the picture below

You could use a porcelain floor tile as a heat deflector. Won’t be round but a square one will work. Pop into somewhere like TOPS tiles. They sell single tiles . You may be able to find one which is damaged/chipped. 
's avatar