Best home built gaming rig £650?

Found 8th Dec 2017
I saw a deal on here yesterday for a gaming rig, but has since been taken down or deleted? Someone commented on a home built rig for £650, and wondered if that same person could oblige and tell me what to buy and where from please?
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
I remember that deal, I believe the commenter suggested this to be a better and more powerful buy ; uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…BNN

AMD - Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
ASRock - AB350M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
ADATA - Ultimate SU800 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GT OCV1 Video Card
Cooler Master - MasterBox Lite 3.1 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair - VS 450W ATX Power Supply

PRICE BREAKDOWN

Base Total: £639.93
Shipping: £13.69
Total: £653.62

You have to build it yourself, many guides on Youtube.
Edited by: "Flab09" 8th Dec 2017
Flab098 h, 41 m ago

I remember that deal, I believe the commenter suggested this to be a …I remember that deal, I believe the commenter suggested this to be a better and more powerful buy ; https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/MprBNNAMD - Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz Quad-Core ProcessorASRock - AB350M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 MotherboardG.Skill - Ripjaws 4 series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 MemoryADATA - Ultimate SU800 128GB 2.5" Solid State DriveSeagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard DriveMSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GT OCV1 Video CardCooler Master - MasterBox Lite 3.1 MicroATX Mid Tower CaseCorsair - VS 450W ATX Power SupplyPRICE BREAKDOWNBase Total: £639.93Shipping: £13.69Total: £653.62You have to build it yourself, many guides on Youtube.

Just to add, please don't go with 1TB mechanical and 128GB SSD. Where budgets are restricted, pick a decent one or the other. Don't buy a bad one of each. Small drives are the worst in every respect.
dxx4 h, 33 m ago

Just to add, please don't go with 1TB mechanical and 128GB SSD. Where …Just to add, please don't go with 1TB mechanical and 128GB SSD. Where budgets are restricted, pick a decent one or the other. Don't buy a bad one of each. Small drives are the worst in every respect.

128GB is enough for the system (plus maybe a game or two), and I'd say it's the most important bit when it comes to SSD's
gadasiu33 m ago

128GB is enough for the system (plus maybe a game or two), and I'd say …128GB is enough for the system (plus maybe a game or two), and I'd say it's the most important bit when it comes to SSD's

Excluding my games and user folders my SSD is currently sitting at around 80GB used at six months old, and these days you need about 10GB free for updates. You can't fit many games in 20GB, and over time that'll fill up with frameworks, utilities, downloads and everything else that accumulates.

I'm pretty sure I'd be clearing stuff out on a 120GB SSD a few years down the line.

@JohnIIIrd Which parts of the system do you need? Hardware? Operating system? Peripherals?
gadasiu2 h, 54 m ago

128GB is enough for the system (plus maybe a game or two), and I'd say …128GB is enough for the system (plus maybe a game or two), and I'd say it's the most important bit when it comes to SSD's

That argument maybe held up in 2012, back when SSDs were small and expensive and software was relatively small too, but things have changed. 128GB these days is woefully inadequate for a system that faces any serious use.

It's also terrible value, and slower than a more full-blooded drive.
EndlessWaves6 h, 50 m ago

Excluding my games and user folders my SSD is currently sitting at around …Excluding my games and user folders my SSD is currently sitting at around 80GB used at six months old, and these days you need about 10GB free for updates. You can't fit many games in 20GB, and over time that'll fill up with frameworks, utilities, downloads and everything else that accumulates. I'm pretty sure I'd be clearing stuff out on a 120GB SSD a few years down the line. @JohnIIIrd Which parts of the system do you need? Hardware? Operating system? Peripherals?

I'm just looking to build a rig for now, I have a copy of Windows 7, but wondering if that system will be adequate for gaming on and also will it be superseded eventually? Will this make a difference? I also plan on using a wireless Xbox 360 controller as I want my rig in the living room, plus maybe a Bluetooth keyboard.
dxx4 h, 49 m ago

That argument maybe held up in 2012, back when SSDs were small and …That argument maybe held up in 2012, back when SSDs were small and expensive and software was relatively small too, but things have changed. 128GB these days is woefully inadequate for a system that faces any serious use.It's also terrible value, and slower than a more full-blooded drive.

i have to say i disagree.

for a budget build, it's better to have a small SSD for the OS and smaller applications and a large HDD for mass storage and games.

128GB should suffice for a windows install, drivers, and general day to day applications.

if we were talking £1000+ i would agree with you, but cutting corners elsewhere just to get a 240GB+ SSD (which still wouldnt fit many games on) is a mistake
Flab0921 h, 2 m ago

I remember that deal, I believe the commenter suggested this to be a …I remember that deal, I believe the commenter suggested this to be a better and more powerful buy ; https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/MprBNNAMD - Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz Quad-Core ProcessorASRock - AB350M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 MotherboardG.Skill - Ripjaws 4 series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 MemoryADATA - Ultimate SU800 128GB 2.5" Solid State DriveSeagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard DriveMSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GT OCV1 Video CardCooler Master - MasterBox Lite 3.1 MicroATX Mid Tower CaseCorsair - VS 450W ATX Power SupplyPRICE BREAKDOWNBase Total: £639.93Shipping: £13.69Total: £653.62You have to build it yourself, many guides on Youtube.

definitely a well rounded system. it would be best if you could stretch to a 1600 if possible for a bit of 'future proofing' if there is such a thing.
adamspencer9528 m ago

i have to say i disagree. for a budget build, it's better to have a small …i have to say i disagree. for a budget build, it's better to have a small SSD for the OS and smaller applications and a large HDD for mass storage and games.128GB should suffice for a windows install, drivers, and general day to day applications.if we were talking £1000+ i would agree with you, but cutting corners elsewhere just to get a 240GB+ SSD (which still wouldnt fit many games on) is a mistake

This isn't even a large drive, though. Not for nearly a decade has 1TB been considered a large drive - this now is as small and as poor a value as 3.5" drives can be.

Don't fall into the poverty trap when you're buying parts. If you can't afford a decent SSD and a decent harddrive (assuming, for some reason, you also need to buy terabytes of bulk storage), just buy the one you need most. Otherwise, you're paying around 1.5x to 2x what you need to pay per gig for the worst storage devices of their class.
Windows 7 is no good for new hardware. You'll have to fiddle to get it working and it won't receive any software updates. Unless you qualify for the free upgrade because you use the accessibility features you'll need to factor in a copy of Windows 10 into your budget.
JohnIIIrd51 m ago

I'm just looking to build a rig for now, I have a copy of Windows 7, but …I'm just looking to build a rig for now, I have a copy of Windows 7, but wondering if that system will be adequate for gaming on and also will it be superseded eventually? Will this make a difference? I also plan on using a wireless Xbox 360 controller as I want my rig in the living room, plus maybe a Bluetooth keyboard.

I'm using a similar system myself and it works fine. Admittedly I'm not the most mainstream of gamers but I've had no reason to complain about the performance of my G4560 and RX 460 (on a 1920x1200 screen). Hardware is still advancing with graphics cards getting ~50% faster every couple of years so you will run into games in a few years you can't play yes.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants