Best iPad and iPhone options for a 90 year old

Posted 1st Jul 2020
My nan's been rolling with an iPad 1 and a Lumia phone for years now. Both of those are now basically unsupported...

What's the best path to take? I'm looking at the base iPad 2019. I'm unsure which iPhone to go for (the SE's screen is too small...whilst the XR - on Apples website at least - seems too expensive for what it is). Given that the iPad 2019 uses the processor from the iPhone 7, I guess it would be fine to go for an older big screen iPhone....

The iPad will be the WiFi version. Happy to do a 12 or 24 month contract on the iPhone...

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Used
iPhone 7 plus and an ipad 2019
Edited by: "123454321" 1st Jul
An Ipad mini 4 is more manageable in size. I would recommend the iphone 7 plus or iphone se 2
iphone se 2 would be good
Support for a few years to come
Is there a reason why everyone's recommending the iPhone 7 Plus (and not the 8 Plus for example).

Looks like it'll be the iPad 2019 10.2 & either a 7 or 8 Plus.

Any recommendations on the best outlets for refurbed phones? (I think we'll do the 12 months interest free on the iPad).

Thanks for all the comments so far
Edited by: "yadiyada" 1st Jul
Ipad 2019 would be big improvement on ipad 1....bit wild but what about an android phone with an lumia app launcher....had a lumia phone once liked the big tiles
Probably not much help but i managed to get a pristine refurb XS Max for about £600. Probably one of the iphone “plus”es is a good option and covers best value for money and support
I wouldn't recommend going for an iPhone, at that age it will be difficult for your nan to learn how everything works. Changing from Windows phone to iOS is a big change. Though if using an iPad already then they may be a bit familiar with the ecosystem I guess.

iPhone 7 is 3 and a half years old, so wouldn't recommend buying something so outdated. The iPhone 8 is 2 and a half years old, may be more suitable.

iPhone 8 is >£210 for 64GB in pristine condition @ Handtec eBay
Edited by: "jamie15" 1st Jul
yadiyada01/07/2020 17:17

Is there a reason why everyone's recommending the iPhone 7 Plus (and not …Is there a reason why everyone's recommending the iPhone 7 Plus (and not the 8 Plus for example).Looks like it'll be the iPad 2019 10.2 & either a 7 or 8 Plus.Any recommendations on the best outlets for refurbed phones? (I think we'll do the 12 months interest free on the iPad).Thanks for all the comments so far

7 plus made of metal. 8 plus made if glass so will break easier. Doubt someone who's 90 will use wireless charging, no offense, so the 7 plus looks like a better option
tardytortoise01/07/2020 21:26

Buy her a …Buy her a GrandPadhttps://www.techsilver.co.uk/product/grandpad-tablet-for-elderly/

Wow, that thing is terrible
Post a comment
@
    Text