Groups

Best Ipad for 6 year old?

Hi all

I want to get my 6 year old son an Ipad for xmas but not sure on the models available.
    I would prefer a mid range model that has at least a year of updates available so not to old and a reasonable amount of memory.
    Budget under £150, Don't mind picking up a as new boxed one from ebay.

He has had a Acer Iconia for the last 2 years but it is too slow.

Which model do you recommend?.

Thanks

19 Comments

Our 6 year old has ipad mini 2 , and loves it

we wanted to get some I pads but last Christmas in argos on offer was amazon fire tablets. not kids models. and all our 4 love them ( 3 - 12 ) plenty of apps loads of good games.

just an idea, as glad we bought them. think they on offer again now 39.99 each. when we picked them up in store all that was on shelves waiting for customers was the tablets. staff even said all day been the same they are hot sellers.

my son has the samsung tab 3 kids version -- its great for parents keeping tabs on thier kids and its so kid friendly aswell -- youtube it to see and far cheaper than an ipad -- too much money for a 6 year old

Just for the lol
    http://www.meyepatch.co.uk/img/patches.jpg
    Ipad for kids

Bades

Just for the lolIpad for kids

haha

The Lego one is probably appropriate.

do you want an Ipad or a tablet? Ipad way too much £ for a 6 year old.

If you have Amazon prime, the Amazon fire is amazing for kids. (Normal one not kids one). I paid £34.99 for my 6 year olds, she has an indestructible case. Touch wood, so far it's been dropped 100 times but is still as new. Loads of apps (comparable to iPad). Screen quality good for watching their shows and they can use it to read books. Amazon prime films/shows can be downloaded and watched when there's no wifi (God send for the car).

Original Poster

Looking at all your recommendations I will be going for the Amazon fire as it does all he needs.

Thanks all

markvirgo

Looking at all your recommendations I will be going for the Amazon fire … Looking at all your recommendations I will be going for the Amazon fire as it does all he needs. Thanks all

I said the same in the week for my 6 year old son, was told by a member on here the fire can't use Google play store so you won't be able to use any paid for games but only going by what I was told here

I got my son a £39.99 16gb alba from argos. Also comes with 2 chunky silicone cases for free. I listed it as a deal on here I think yesterday
    Edited by: "BudgetAngel" 14th Nov 2016

Original Poster

BudgetAngel

I said the same in the week for my 6 year old son, was told by a member … I said the same in the week for my 6 year old son, was told by a member on here the fire can't use Google play store so you won't be able to use any paid for games but only going by what I was told hereI got my son a £39.99 16gb alba from argos. Also comes with 2 chunky silicone cases for free. I listed it as a deal on here I think yesterday

Review says you can?
    It does not come with Play, but you can add it relatively easily via a PC. Do an Internet search for "install play on amazon tablet" and follow the instructions from How To Geek dot com. 10 minute task.

markvirgo

Review says you can? It does not come with Play, but you can add it … Review says you can? It does not come with Play, but you can add it relatively easily via a PC. Do an Internet search for "install play on amazon tablet" and follow the instructions from How To Geek dot com. 10 minute task.

Thanks! To be honest I'm not that tech savvy so I just went with what I was told when I asked a question on here. I'm happy with the one I've got now but that was the only reason I went looking for one beyond the fire

I'd stick to iPads. All my kids have them. Can set up iCloud family you can set up restrictions on what they can't and can't do, any app they try to purchase sends a message to my iPad/iPhone for approval, have a shared Photo album etc. They've all been able to work them (ages 2-7) and with the right case are pretty much unbreakable.

If you shop around and take your time on gumtree there are good deals to be had, 2 days ago I got my eldest an iPad Air 2 64gb wifi & 4G for £175. That'll last him easily 3 years. His iPad 3 could recoup most the cost.
    Edited by: "A2DY_" 15th Nov 2016

keep an eye on apples refurbished page, they are in effect new.

GoOutSidePad was my fave one as a kid

Many people say "ipad" when they mean "tablet" (in the same way they say "Hoover" when they mean "vacuum cleaner")

A 6 year old does not need an ipad, they are VERY expensive. And as it is likely the screen will get broken when dropped it is a lot of money to spend on the chance it will get damaged.

Buy an Android tablet which can do all that an iPad can and at about half the price.

Original Poster

BudgetAngel

I said the same in the week for my 6 year old son, was told by a member … I said the same in the week for my 6 year old son, was told by a member on here the fire can't use Google play store so you won't be able to use any paid for games but only going by what I was told hereI got my son a £39.99 16gb alba from argos. Also comes with 2 chunky silicone cases for free. I listed it as a deal on here I think yesterday

After much thought I went for the Alba Argos deal as it hopefully will do all he needs. Thanks all

Original Poster

itsdavidjones1984

GoOutSidePad was my fave one as a kid

Hahahaha I like it, So did I

He does go to Dodgeball, Football, Swimming lessons and Beavers, the tablet will be for accessing the schools discovery website and in the car.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Currys Return11
      2. How are Very for pre-orders ?78
      3. Looking for an iPhone deal22
      4. No claims discount proof - Help needed77

See more discussions