Best iPad for movies and ebooks

Posted 26th Jan
I would like an iPad for reading ebooks (mostly technical PDFs about algorithms) and watching movies (downloaded Prime/Netflix stuff) as getting my Macbook out seems to be overkill and isn't the best for ebooks when touch, pinch etc are really handy.

Should I just get the cheapest iPad? Is the Air worthwhile? When are they normally cheapest, or should I just get a second hand one (I have a student discount also), but how much do they go second hand (outside of eBay maybe on something like Shpock)

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
Might be better to get an e-book reader that uses e-ink and an android tablet for the movies, or even an android projector
esar26/01/2020 16:21

Might be better to get an e-book reader that uses e-ink and an android …Might be better to get an e-book reader that uses e-ink and an android tablet for the movies, or even an android projector

Well, yes I agree with e-ink but for everything else iPad is king. Have tried android, own android and still prefer apple devices.
1st gen ipad pro would be very nice as they have higher refresh screen and true tone etc which makes the colours alot more natural particularly if reading in bed. Also pencil support. Thin form factor and no air gap between the screen and lcd. Very nice piece of equipment. For your use the 2nd and 3rd gen pros will add nothing except cost. Processor and ram more than adequate for years and years yet. A brand new ipad air will be slightly faster (unoticable) but will be worse for sound (wont have 4 speakers like a pro) and worse for screen. Also the 1st gen pro allows proper keyboards to be used through the smart connector not bluetooth. People will naturally come and and say you should spend 700quid on a 3rd gen pro with 256gb memory but my advice is to not do that in your circumstances. Almost any recentish ipad will meet your need but i believe this will BEST meet your need
Edited by: "JamieBeveridge" 26th Jan
Visit a store and see what feels right
I will second the suggestion for a 1st Gen iPad Pro......

I have a 9.7 inch iPadPro - 128GB and 4G - paid £200 on Gumtree 6 months ago

The 4 speaker setup is really good for movies and music - all the other iPads sound really tinny !
tintin726/01/2020 17:28

I will second the suggestion for a 1st Gen iPad Pro......I have a 9.7 inch …I will second the suggestion for a 1st Gen iPad Pro......I have a 9.7 inch iPadPro - 128GB and 4G - paid £200 on Gumtree 6 months agoThe 4 speaker setup is really good for movies and music - all the other iPads sound really tinny !

Mate you are going to have to teach me... I can only find 32gb wifi ipad pros for that price! What a deal
Any iPad model which is just ‘iPad’ and the year (ie 2018) is great value. Updates for tests and if you want it can do a lot of the same things your computer can do.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants