Best Laptop buy with this Budget please - Argos ONLY.

Found 18th JanEdited by:"lolrita"
Hi,

I'd appreciate any help that can be proffered here. I've been given an Argos voucher worth £400 (AFAIK this cant be used on their eBay store), that I want to use on a laptop and I'm willing to spend £100/200 extra if necessary. Just looking for fast general day to day use, no gaming, occasional film/streaming, word etc. Would prefer a larger screen as opposed to a netbook so around 15" or so.

I've searched via the website for argos laptop deals and I feel so lost what will all the disagreements on value/ speed. Ideally something that doesn't require any technical knowledge so doesn't require to go as as far as upgrading RAM etc

I am aware that Argos probably arent the most competitive price wise/choice for laptops but I don't really want to mess around selling the voucher, I'd rather just use it up.

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Your requirements are pretty basic for a laptop and could easily get something around the £250-£300 mark. You won’t be needing a huge amount of memory. I always go for an i5 or i7 processor - I like fast computers because I’m crunching terabytes of data. An i3 would suite you fine. Then it’s whether you have a preferred brand, that’s through experience. I prefer HPs over ACERs.
33091784.jpg

This may be a good bundle to consider especially if you need to buy Microsoft etc.
Edited by: "geojo" 18th Jan
geojo18 m ago

Your requirements are pretty basic for a laptop and could easily get …Your requirements are pretty basic for a laptop and could easily get something around the £250-£300 mark. You won’t be needing a huge amount of memory. I always go for an i5 or i7 processor - I like fast computers because I’m crunching terabytes of data. An i3 would suite you fine. Then it’s whether you have a preferred brand, that’s through experience. I prefer HPs over ACERs.

Hi, thanks for the reply and help.
I previously had an HP i5 (3-4 years old), but I passed it on. I found it was getting laggy browser wise, despite only using it for very basic things as per the above. I'm probably missing quite a few technicalities here, but am I correct in assuming the i3 is then likely to be slower than the i5 was?

I considered going again for an i5 or above just so it would run a bit more smoothly? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have access to office via a student so would ideally like to spend the full £400.
argos.co.uk/pro…790

Its the best I can see for what your after.
Screen resolution might be an issue if your watching a lot, but can't see any 1080 screens in budget.
The cpu is an i3, but for what your wanting it should be more then enough and sdd will keep everything snappy.
You can't find an i5 for your price range on Argos.
The best one for the specs I could find on Argos is this one:

argos.co.uk/pro…215

It has a better processor than the other i3 ones that are £400 or less.

argos.co.uk/pro…416
This one costs £420.
Benefits it has over the other one I posted: Slightly better processor. 8GB ram instead of 4GB ram. SSD instead of a hard drive.
Cons it has over the other one I posted: Not a 1080p screen. Lower storage capacity (256GB instead of 1TB).

Depends on what you're looking for. I personally would go for the HP one because having a 1080p screen means a better experience when consuming media and more space to work with on the desktop. I also would quickly go over 256GB.
If you haven't already I would install an ad-blocker extension for your browser. Adverts are often the cause for a laggy browsing experience. Also to rule out the possibility of a virus install Malwarebytes (there's a free version):
malwarebytes.com/
There isn't any decent laptops deals on at Argos at the moment.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 19th Jan
joedastudd22 h, 21 m ago

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7526790Its the best I can see for what your …http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7526790Its the best I can see for what your after. Screen resolution might be an issue if your watching a lot, but can't see any 1080 screens in budget.The cpu is an i3, but for what your wanting it should be more then enough and sdd will keep everything snappy.

Hi, thank you for the help. Probably wasn't too clear in the initial post but I would be willing to spend an extra £200 or so on top of the Argos voucher spend if required to get the best value as such.
BailOut22 h, 6 m ago

If you haven't already I would install an ad-blocker extension for your …If you haven't already I would install an ad-blocker extension for your browser. Adverts are often the cause for a laggy browsing experience. Also to rule out the possibility of a virus install Malwarebytes (there's a free version):https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Thanks, this is something I'll try
BailOut22 h, 14 m ago

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6746416This one costs £420. Benefits it has …http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6746416This one costs £420. Benefits it has over the other one I posted: Slightly better processor. 8GB ram instead of 4GB ram. SSD instead of a hard drive.Cons it has over the other one I posted: Not a 1080p screen. Lower storage capacity (256GB instead of 1TB). Depends on what you're looking for. I personally would go for the HP one because having a 1080p screen means a better experience when consuming media and more space to work with on the desktop. I also would quickly go over 256GB.

Hi. Thanks for helping me. If I was to increase my budget to a total £600, would this help massively in terms of value/optimum for my use do you think?
I was thinking of this one, only downside is that I'd have to travel 30 miles each way to collect. Would it be worth it?
Thank you so much all for the help so far.
Edited by: "lolrita" 19th Jan
lolrita52 m ago

I was thinking of this one, only downside is that I'd have to travel 30 …I was thinking of this one, only downside is that I'd have to travel 30 miles each way to collect. Would it be worth it?Thank you so much all for the help so far.

I would go for it. I couldn't find one that rivaled that one on Argos even when I increased the price to 600.
BailOut19th Jan

I would go for it. I couldn't find one that rivaled that one on Argos even …I would go for it. I couldn't find one that rivaled that one on Argos even when I increased the price to 600.

Thank for all your help, really appreciated , went for the HP in the end.
lolrita5 h, 11 m ago

Thank for all your help, really appreciated , went for the HP …Thank for all your help, really appreciated , went for the HP in the end.

No problem. Enjoy your new laptop!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions