Best Laptop Cooling Stand?

Found 1st Aug 2012
I was just wondering what is the best cooling stand I can get for my laptop? I have had the Targus Lap Chill Mat for about a year now but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

The criteria is it must fit a 17inch laptop such as the XPS 17, it must be very powerful with (hopefully) an adjustable fan speed control. Also, a few USB ports would be nice too. Most importantly though, it must be very quiet, or at least be quiet when it's not at full pelt.

Have heard good things about the CM Storm SF-19, but it seems way too expensive.

I've also heard good things about the coolermaster, and at the mo that seems the most likely buy for me.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this or any experiences to share?

Thanks.
Community Updates
MiscLaptop
14 Comments
Original Poster
whatsThePoint

so you want the best but it has to be cheap

Cheaper than £50 quid? Hell yeah!
I'm just concerned why you think you need a cooling stand for your laptop.

Unless your going overseas to a hot climate or unless your laptop is dusty/clogged up inside then it should not require additional cooling.

My laptop is on 24/7 almost becoz I dont have pc. I use it for online chatting/communication, maintenance of other pc's/laptops, video editing, music editing, downloading and watching videos... the only thing I don't use is for gaming. But still I can run my lappy using multitasking (and yes sometimes it slows up) for many hours but still my fan keeps doing it's job.

I only suffered overheating when it was overseas. It's a 4yr old Aspire 5315 with 2gig of ram but regularly (about every 6mnths) cleaned internally.

Original Poster
philphil61

I'm just concerned why you think you need a cooling stand for your … I'm just concerned why you think you need a cooling stand for your laptop.Unless your going overseas to a hot climate or unless your laptop is dusty/clogged up inside then it should not require additional cooling.My laptop is on 24/7 almost becoz I dont have pc. I use it for online chatting/communication, maintenance of other pc's/laptops, video editing, music editing, downloading and watching videos... the only thing I don't use is for gaming. But still I can run my lappy using multitasking (and yes sometimes it slows up) for many hours but still my fan keeps doing it's job. I only suffered overheating when it was overseas. It's a 4yr old Aspire 5315 with 2gig of ram but regularly (about every 6mnths) cleaned internally.

Try using it for gaming then.

The XPS 17 is pretty powerful and does get quite hot (although not that hot since I opened it and repasted the CPU and GPU).

A laptop fan that actually works properly can help keep temps low and prologue the lifespan of the laptop. Also, it might go some way to stopping the annoyingly super loud fans in my laptop kicking in on idle.
Original Poster
kunyk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coolermaster-Notepal-U3-Cooler-Notebook/dp/B00441LYEW/http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-NC2000-Notebook-Cooler-Black/dp/B001CXHW7S/

Cheers dude!

Have read some reviews of the coolmaster and it seems pretty good. Especially with the movable fans and power control. Not sure if it comes with a USB port though, which would be a shame.

Not sure how it compares to the Zalman though!
Banned
I own that Zalman, it's bit louder on full load than I thought it would be, but I game with headphones, so don't care.

The build is excellent and it puts down about 6-8 degrees.
Original Poster
kunyk

I own that Zalman, it's bit louder on full load than I thought it would … I own that Zalman, it's bit louder on full load than I thought it would be, but I game with headphones, so don't care.The build is excellent and it puts down about 6-8 degrees.

They both seem to get very good reviews. Might go for the Coolmaster because of the movable fans though, unless you know for a fact the Zalman is better?

What laptop do you have btw? With my one the vent is at the front, and back centre and back left.
Edited by: "chris-afc" 1st Aug 2012
Banned
you have to read the reviews I can't compare them as I only own one.

my laptop sucks cold air in from the bottom and blows the hot on the left, therefore this stand helps.
Original Poster
kunyk

you have to read the reviews I can't compare them as I only own one.my … you have to read the reviews I can't compare them as I only own one.my laptop sucks cold air in from the bottom and blows the hot on the left, therefore this stand helps.

Same here, but there are 3 vents intake vents at the bottom and my current mat only covers the central area. Maybe it's just a **** mat though which is why it doesn't help much.
Cooler master all the way, got one and has lowered temperatures slightly for acer aspire. Make sure you check both written and video reviews before purchasing as there are some models which have peculiar problems
Original Poster
Ordered the cooler master in the end. Does a 9 cell battery effect the effectiveness of the cooling when on the mat? With this battery, there is a gap under the laptop so not sure if this ruins the cooling process of a mat stand.
Keep us updated please. I'm thinking of biying one soon. Btw just got an Inspiron 17R SE.
Keep us updated please. I'm thinking of biying one soon. Btw just got an Inspiron 17R SE.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions