Best Laptop for a University student studying Mathematics

Posted 17th Sep
I am looking for a laptop for my daughter who is studying Mathematics at University, and want to know what is the best one to get with a budget of around £400-700? Many thanks for anyone who has any suggestions.
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
deleted1410297
Maybe a used thinkpad
Get a MacBook Air. It’s the laptop that 90% of students end up getting and all her friends will have. Maybe a hundred or so over your budget.

She’ll be entitled to student discount which gives you a decent amount off and currently a free pair of headphones worth about £150-£200.
Might be worth looking at one that comes with a separate number pad? My wife is a Maths teacher and that is what she would suggest!
I would personally advice a Macbook of some sort. You can find some second hand ones which are in good condition.
It might even be worth depending on what University your daughter is going to but from personal experience with my son, due to the household income being under a certain amount, my son recieved a £1000 grant from the uni which was used to buy one.

Worth looking into?
It's generally best to stick to Windows or Linux for scientific programming. While Matlab and Mathematica do run on Mac OS these days there's no guarantee than every other program involved in the degree will do and she may have to mess around with dual booting or virtual machines.

The only thing that might be useful in a mathematics degree is a more powerful CPU and that would come with the trade-off of a heavier laptop due to the extra cooling required.

Anything at £500-600 is adequate on the computing side of things so it's a case of finding a screen of sufficient brightness for all the environments she wants to use it in (as bright as possible for outdoor use) and a keyboard she gets on with.
ASUS Zenbook. Various spec. around for top of your price point. Aluminium body. SSD. Long battery time. My daughters has lasted 5 years so far of continuous Uni abuse and still works a treat. Less attractive to thieves, of which there are plenty at Uni.
Lit keyboard is useful for use in lectures.
Edited by: "airbus330" 17th Sep
EndlessWaves17/09/2019 16:12

It's generally best to stick to Windows or Linux for scientific …It's generally best to stick to Windows or Linux for scientific programming. While Matlab and Mathematica do run on Mac OS these days there's no guarantee than every other program involved in the degree will do and she may have to mess around with dual booting or virtual machines.The only thing that might be useful in a mathematics degree is a more powerful CPU and that would come with the trade-off of a heavier laptop due to the extra cooling required.Anything at £500-600 is adequate on the computing side of things so it's a case of finding a screen of sufficient brightness for all the environments she wants to use it in (as bright as possible for outdoor use) and a keyboard she gets on with.

Agree.
I was just thinking you should allow for subscriptions to wolfram mathematica or alpha if the uni doesn't provide it.
Edited by: "mas99" 17th Sep
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants