Best laptop for downloading and internet browsing.

Found 5th Mar 2015
Calling out all the hot UK dealers on here - based on experience what would be the best laptop for downloading and general web browsing - I want a good solid laptop with a DVD drive but cant afford apple' All feedback appreciated thanks
Community Updates
AskLaptop
11 Comments
Depends what you will be downloading if downloading and web browsing are your only requirements. If movies, you'll need a large hard drive. Watching movies? Full HD recommended.

Not enough info in OP to recommend anything specific on the requirements given.
Downloading movies to transfer onto USB stick and watch on TV.
This and web browsing - I've had acer / HP laptops in the past all of which have lasted 2-3 years max - it would appear downloading files isn't good for any laptop regularly hence my post asking for feedback from others based on my needs
What exactly broke? All of my laptops from the last 10 or so years are still fully functional, albeit, some have had the hard drive replaced at some stage due to failure, but nothing else has required replacement other than batteries.

Pretty much any laptop will suffice for just web browsing and downloading to transfer to USB - go for something with at least a 500gb disk at a minimum with USB 3 ports.
Hard drive failures on both - each laptop suffered with the hard drives becoming hot on both occasions leading to premature failure, each costing around the £200 Mark, maybe I'm doing something wrong but both these machines were used for downloading ( not all day every day ) but intermittently along with browsing' I'm beginning to think the downloading isn't good for any laptop but based on what you say maybe I'm wrong and it could be a bit of bad luck

Thanks for the tips
pennyfarthing88

Hard drive failures on both - each laptop suffered with the hard drives … Hard drive failures on both - each laptop suffered with the hard drives becoming hot on both occasions leading to premature failure, each costing around the £200 Mark, maybe I'm doing something wrong but both these machines were used for downloading ( not all day every day ) but intermittently along with browsing' I'm beginning to think the downloading isn't good for any laptop but based on what you say maybe I'm wrong and it could be a bit of bad luck Thanks for the tips

£200 for a laptop hard drive? Who said you needed to pay that much to replace it? A 1TB hard drive is around £50.

Downloading is little or no different to browsing all told or generally using the laptop.

I think you need to suggest a budget, size of laptop you're after and people can make suggestions. However, your best bet is to keep an eye out on these search terms and pick a deal that matches your budget and what you think looks nice. As already mentioned ANY new laptop will more than suffice for your needs. There is nothing special to be gained spending a fortune on a laptop for these limited requirements.

hotukdeals.com/sea…e=7

hotukdeals.com/sea…e=7

I would also add that it's worth searching the model on google to find reviews of the model you are looking at. Especially places like
notebookcheck.net/
Who do very detailed helpful reviews of most common laptop models

notebookreview.com/
Who also do very good reviews of most common models, if they haven't got a review, check the forums as they also have owner threads for just about every model so you can see what owners are ranting and raving about on the one you are buying.
Edited by: "Astec123" 6th Mar 2015
Get a laptop with an ssd and transfer the files to an external drive once completed.
Thanks for your responses guys, the laptops I've bought cost around £200-£250 ish which I don't think is cheap' the latest laptop which I still have and am considering getting repaired is a HP compaq presario CQ56 ( from asda ) which has lasted around 18 months before giving up the ghost
As a replacement I'll pay up to £300 for downloading and web browsing' we really don't need anything more than this' although I'm considering moving towards a desktop due to the bad experiences with both laptops ( acer and HP )
pennyfarthing88

Thanks for your responses guys, the laptops I've bought cost around … Thanks for your responses guys, the laptops I've bought cost around £200-£250 ish which I don't think is cheap' the latest laptop which I still have and am considering getting repaired is a HP compaq presario CQ56 ( from asda ) which has lasted around 18 months before giving up the ghost As a replacement I'll pay up to £300 for downloading and web browsing' we really don't need anything more than this' although I'm considering moving towards a desktop due to the bad experiences with both laptops ( acer and HP )

Your CQ56 just has a failed hard drive, right? If so, replace it with something like this and it will far exceed the performance as it did when new, as well as running cooler due to not having a physical spinning disk running at 5400/7200 rpm when downloading. It's not got a huge capacity, maybe will allow around 50-60 HD movies or around 100 in Standard definition. Counteract this with an external hard drive (Samsung M3 1 or 2TB recommended here) which will make transferring to your TV much easier. All in:- around £90.
deleted79467
why bother downloading to the laptop just plug external hd in and download to that
As mattmerch says, if you d/l via p2p use an external h/d, p2p involves lots of read/writes per file you d/l, if you use an external drive it will take the strain off your system drive.
I used to do it this way, then archive the files you want to keep to dvd, £10 for 100 dvd's here hotukdeals.com/dea…735.
Good luck.
According to what I've read today the CQ56 has a failed CPU and not Hard drive as I mistakingly thought - with HP Compaq series of laptops it appears to be quite a common problem - no wonder ASDA had them on special offer.
Now I know why both laptops I've owned have failed prematurely they both ran very hot from CPU fan area before finally giving up the ghosts - and on both occasions whilst downloading via P2P.

Thanks for all your advice' will definately be downloading to a seperate hard drive from here on in once I've decided on the next PC
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants