Groups
    EXPIRED

Best Long Zoom Camera

Best Long Zoom Camera

What are the best long zoom camera's in the market today? I have around £200 to spend and was looking to go the DSLR route - buy a D40 but I'm not very comfortable paying almost £200 for a two year old camera, especially one that uses xd cards.

Does anyone have any opinions on newer cams?

I'd ideally like a manual zoom control like the s9600 but it's not necessary.

Reason I'm posting this here is: I'm looking for links/for sale cams as well.

6 Comments

The D40 uses SD cards. At least, mine does.

Original Poster

yes they do, but decent lenses cost a gazillion pounds... I'm looking for 28-300 zoom min and adding that to a D40 doubles the price that other long zoom's can be had at.

Also, I'm planning to shoot in jpg and not raw as I don't think I have the time to play around with raw's after shooting.

alchemistkevin;2751409

yes they do, but decent lenses cost a gazillion pounds... I'm looking for … yes they do, but decent lenses cost a gazillion pounds... I'm looking for 28-300 zoom min and adding that to a D40 doubles the price that other long zoom's can be had at.Also, I'm planning to shoot in jpg and not raw as I don't think I have the time to play around with raw's after shooting.

D40 will take jpeg, in fine, normal and basic modes, Sigma sell some cheap lenses on 7dayshop but for Canon, camera will be more expensive, swings and roundabouts really

You can use older (cheaper) lenses on the D40, but because the autofocus drive is in the new lenses for it and not the camera body then you would have to manually focus any older lenses. It does take SD cards and it has different settings for the data from the sensor as AugQX has mentioned, gets good reviews but the Sony alpha A200 gets excellent reviews and lenses might be cheaper for it. I think there's no difference really in price on Amazon although Nikon are doing £40 cashback, but that's easily eaten up when buying a new lens. As said before it's swings and roundabouts. I'm considering both cameras, just not made my mind up yet!

Try reviews of cameras on ]Trusted Reviews or ]Steve's Digicams as they're really in-depth generally.

Certainly some of the ultra-zoom cameras can give very good results, my old Konica Minolta Dimage Z3 still gives me my best pics.

Original Poster

Thanks, I've read the reviews and still undecided, guess I need to make my mind up.

I'm essentially looking to spend around £200 and not more
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. New Layout is Confusing: How to I navigate to specific items!?45
      2. Best laptop on the market11
      3. Help Me Find Bright Red Exterior Paint PLEASE56
      4. Are smart parking limited legitimate55

See more discussions