Groups

Best makes of laptop?

Hi,
    Can anybody offer any advice on the best makes of laptop to be looking for (with a 17" screen) - for example what order would you rank Dell/Toshiba/HP/Acer/etc?
    The spec. does not need to be outstanding as the budget is not massive (
    Also any tips for looking on Dell Outlet for bargains... eg best time to check etc?

Thanks!

11 Comments

the advent 9517 recon at dixons is £279 and £10 off today too..

Original Poster

louloo;3277166

the advent 9517 recon at dixons is £279 and £10 off today too..

Thanks - but sold out..

Original Poster

louloo;3277261

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1503542041.1224850520@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccfdadefhkfkffgcflgceggdhhmdgmj.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=106088&category_oid=-32665£10 more?

Looks good -thanks. I have never owned an Advent computer, is it false economy, or are they okay?
    (Not very easy to search the Dixons refurb site based on screen size is it!?)

I personally recommend Dell over other brands as they have great product and driver support, Advent are pretty much the worst for product support charging £30 for a windows XP driver CD, Advent systems look good though and usually are cheaper at equivalent specs.

Am using an Advent laptop at the moment, and would definitely chose another one rather than a dell. Have had 2 dell laptops that caused nothing but problems, but not had a problem with advent laptop or computer

There's only a few companies (ODM) that make laptops, these are then badged... so the name really means nothing :).

Alfie!;3277310

Looks good -thanks. I have never owned an Advent computer, is it false … Looks good -thanks. I have never owned an Advent computer, is it false economy, or are they okay? (Not very easy to search the Dixons refurb site based on screen size is it!?)

lol no its a nightmare...i thought this looked a good deal as i could see it £200 plus more in February:)
    Anyway i ordered last night so hope its good!!! if not you have 7 days to return so cant go wrong can you??

I'd would go for a Dell they are very reliable, cant vouch for the others. Just upgraded with another Dell.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 891111
      2. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2950
      3. Sad news about Barcelona24103
      4. How dangerous is Donald trump?24106

See more discussions