Expired

Best media player for PLEX / AV Receiver / HP Micro Server

Found 12th Apr 2014
Hi All,

I have plex running on my HP micro server and a now tv box. I really like the look of plex my issue is now tv does not support DTS so i get no sound unless i transcode and this causes my Micro server to 100% cpu.

What can i do to resolve this?

A friend of mine said to buy an AV receiver (Onkyo) that supports DTS and this would resolve the problem, but an AV receiver is around £250. Is there a cheaper way?
Community Updates
AskHPMedia PlayerServer
5 Comments
Apparently the Roku 2 XS supports DTS bitsream passthrough and 1080p and is £43 on Amazon.Is this any good to you?
My first suggestion is, ask this question on the AV forums

http://www.avforums.com/forums/streamers-network-media-players.332/

I think you would be well advised to invest in an amp, the sound difference over a lcd/led tv is much better. However, perhaps you should get media player instead of the now tv box. Not sure what you are using the now tv for. netflix etc?

In my opnion xbmc is better than plex, but it's your choice.

There is a new box, I suggest you read this

avforums.com/thr…23/
Sadly,the amazon tv is months away as far as the UK is concerned. For ease of use, the roku 2 xs is pretty good. Very stable. Once it's setup (logged in at very beginning and plex channel installed) you'll probably never have to tinker with it again. My wife loves the simplicity of it. No need to fiddle. Sure, Plex may not have the range of (pirate friendly) plugins that xbmc has, but its easier to use, more user friendly in my opinion. And definitely more reliable, with a much more user friendly interface than xbmc.
I also have plex media server running on my hp n54l, streaming to my roku 2 xs. If your budget cand stretch a little though, I would suggest getting the Roku 3, its quite a bit nippier than the Rokue 2. Last I saw it was going for around £89

Edited by: "stoney73" 12th Apr 2014
Xbmc is brilliant thank you. I didn't realise my Raspi could run xmbc, i changed skin to Quartz skin.

Thanks all for help you have saved me £250 on an AV Reciever
*Sloman*

Xbmc is brilliant thank you. I didn't realise my Raspi could run xmbc, i … Xbmc is brilliant thank you. I didn't realise my Raspi could run xmbc, i changed skin to Quartz skin.Thanks all for help you have saved me £250 on an AV Reciever

I would recommend looking at getting a av receiver/speakers at some point that can do DTS as you would experience better sound and it would take less stress off the pi as it is decoding the DTS audio. I use mine along with a Sony HT-AS5, cost me £250 just under 2 years ago and cant complain.

stuff.tv/son…iew
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants