Best men’s razor, shaving cream/gel/oil combinations?

Posted 12th Apr
I wondered what the guys on here use for their daily shaving routine with regard to razors and shaving cream (gel or oil of course).

I’m especially interested in solutions for those with sensitive skin.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

48 Comments
Proraso shaving cream with a De razor and feather blades. Best thing I did was switch from cartridges, my skin is so much less likely to react and it feels much better.

amazon.co.uk/dp/…7NG

amazon.co.uk/dp/…Y07

You'll get the blades cheaper on eBay but to be honest get a selection pack as you will find some better than others.
Edited by: "MichyM" 12th Apr
I do all the purchasing usually. It's generally on a budget

Palmolive Sticks (getting harder to find, though I think Asda still stock them), Astra Superior Platinum (Green pack) and boyf used an Edwin Jagger DE89BL. Arko sticks are often on offer from Amazon, though some hate the lemony-scent.

He seems to be using the dreaded cartridges nowadays - I bought him a bundle of Dorco Pace 6 (I think) carts recently-ish.

Used to buy tubes of Ingram Shaving Cream (nice and cooling in the summer) but not sure Superdrug still stock it.

Another cheapo option is the BIC cartridges + handle, I bought the Hybrid 3 handle + 6 cartridges for £2 from Poundland (and surprisingly well-reviewed - have to ask my brother what he thought of them, bundled some in with his birthday).

I have a Baili butterfly razor (rose coloured, bit more girly and well-reviewed also) for myself but not braved it on my legs yet!

*Edit: Actually, reading bozo007's comment below reminded me that I used to buy Gillette Yellow O'clock blades as well for him.
Edited by: "louiselouise" 12th Apr
MichyM12/04/2020 19:23

Proraso shaving cream with a De razor and feather blades. Best thing I did …Proraso shaving cream with a De razor and feather blades. Best thing I did was switch from cartridges, my skin is so much less likely to react and it feels much better.https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001JHEY14/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_k01KEbJQ667NGhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083QDY5Z8/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_c11KEb7B4PY07You'll get the blades cheaper on eBay but to be honest get a selection pack as you will find some better than others.

Thanks!
louiselouise12/04/2020 19:33

I do all the purchasing usually. It's generally on a budget Palmolive …I do all the purchasing usually. It's generally on a budget Palmolive Sticks (getting harder to find, though I think Asda still stock them), Astra Superior Platinum (Green pack) and boyf used an Edwin Jagger DE89BL. Arko sticks are often on offer from Amazon, though some hate the lemony-scent.He seems to be using the dreaded cartridges nowadays - I bought him a bundle of Dorco Pace 6 (I think) carts recently-ish.Used to buy tubes of Ingram Shaving Cream (nice and cooling in the summer) but not sure Superdrug still stock it.Another cheapo option is the BIC cartridges + handle, I bought the Hybrid 3 handle + 6 cartridges for £2 from Poundland (and surprisingly well-reviewed - have to ask my brother what he thought of them, bundled some in with his birthday).I have a Baili butterfly razor (rose coloured, bit more girly and well-reviewed also) for myself but not braved it on my legs yet!

Thanks!!
I currently use Dollar Shave Club 5 blade razor and Tom Ford For Men shave cream (was a Christmas gift!).

Seems to work ok, but wondered if there were alternatives that I hadn’t considered... and apparently there are!

Many thanks for the recommendations
hotukdeals.com/dis…386

A lot of information in there for you. DE shaving can be a bit more time consuming but definitely worth it.

Initial investment is higher than just a pack of razors but in the long term works out much cheaper
I am a DE fan and have the following in my collection - a Merkur 23C, Edwin Jagger 3One6 and DE89, a Feather AS-D2, a Rockwell Model T, Mingshi 3000S and a newly ordered Yintal. My preference is for mild razors where the blade is minimally exposed.

My preferred blades are Kai, Gillette 7 O Clock Super Platinum (aka Gillette Black), Feather Stainless and Astra Platinum.

I prefer to use a shaving cream rather than gel or soap. I have just started a tube of Palmolive (very cheap, but excellent) but also have a tub of Proraso, Simpson Wild Rose and a couple from Taylor of Old Bond Street.

There is another thread today where I have posted my preference in fragrances and after shaves.

If you are new to DE, start with a mild razor like a DE89 along with a variety of blades to find the best combination that works for you. Don't reject a blade because of a bad first shave - many blades get better after the first shave and performance can be a bit inconsistent across the same brand. You can find variety packs easily on eBay. Feather and Kai are very sharp, so don't start with them.

Technique is everything though, along with a lot of practice. It took me many weeks to get it right and now, it takes me just a couple of minutes longer to finish compared to using a cartridge. But it feels a lot more satisfying.

And yes, this can be a very expensive hobby once you start

Edited to add: couple of brushes from Vulfix
Edited by: "bozo007" 12th Apr
I use a Dorco Pace 6 razor, Omega synthetic brush, Body Shop Macca Root shave cream, and Body Shop White Musk aftershave balm (by far the best post-shave product I’ve ever tried). I'd describe myself as having sensitive skin, the Body Shop products seem really good for this.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 12th Apr
Just a normal gillette for me but been using Taylor of old bond Street shaving soap and a brush for about last ten years great stuff and lasts a few months
De89, astra platinum, Kent synthetic brush and currently grapefruit Taylor's of bond Street.
If I'm in a real rush then I'll use a few drops of shaving oil (currently Wilko homebrand) preshave.
Vitos Green barber soap.
Shave in the shower, under the water and no shaving foam, works a treat on a coarse beard. you won’t go back. Saw it on an 90s tv programme the wife watched and it works by the heat of the water stimulating the hair making it closer to cut, similar to hot towels. Talked it a few months ago at work and other have tried it and gave the same results.
Edited by: "eslick" 13th Apr
Co-op own brand shaving foam is pretty good, with better consistency than a lot of the expensive ones.
"I wondered what the guys on here use for their daily shaving routine with regard to razors and shaving cream (gel or oil of course)".

Well I don't normally shave the razors or shaving cream, but tomorrow I'll give it a try and get back to you.
nemesiz12/04/2020 22:11

"I wondered what the guys on here use for their daily shaving routine with …"I wondered what the guys on here use for their daily shaving routine with regard to razors and shaving cream (gel or oil of course)".Well I don't normally shave the razors or shaving cream, but tomorrow I'll give it a try and get back to you.

I’ve re-read what I posted, and with my grammar critical head on, I can’t fathom how you got that from what I said.

But, er, thanks for your input?
Rune_2H12/04/2020 19:21

Comment deleted

Another Merkur owner here who uses feather blades, however I switched from the Merkur to a vintage Gillette Black Beauty adjustable that I picked up new and unused in a travel kit on shpock for the grand sum of £5 the same year razor on ebay used sells for over £50 on eBay my best bargain of last year. Occasionaly I will use an open razor or even a shavette but the Black Beauty is my go to. For shaving soap I make my own from a mixture of glycerine (about 50ml per bar of soap), wrights coal tar soap bar and fresh aloe vera gel, I have super sensitive skin with psoriasis and this has all but cleared it up. I melt the soap in an old small pan add the glycerin and mix it up, as its cooling add some aloe vera gel. Costs under £1.50 and lasts ages.
Tongy12/04/2020 22:19

I’ve re-read what I posted, and with my grammar critical head on, I can’t f …I’ve re-read what I posted, and with my grammar critical head on, I can’t fathom how you got that from what I said.But, er, thanks for your input?

That's no problem. In all seriousness if you have a problem with sensitive skin some people find it's best to avoid using a manual razor. Instead have you considered using an electric shaver? Whilst an electric shaver doesn't shave as close, the results are normally acceptable and cause less irritation especially with those that suffer skin complaints such as eczema, or sensitive skin.
deleted1279550
It's all about skin preparation . Steam and hot towels . Before and after Inc moisturizer .
gillette
I use the bic single blades from Poundland and second shave with a gillete fusion.

I buy filet the foam as it takes less time to leather and I find I can’t get the exact amount of gel needed.
Suggestions all to complicated for me! I just use Harry’s products
njl3013/04/2020 05:45

Suggestions all to complicated for me! I just use Harry’s products ( …Suggestions all to complicated for me! I just use Harry’s products

Harry's razors are decent tbf, I was given a pack of 20 and if I was ever to go back to using disposable razors like that aid subscribe to Harry's.

For the moment though my Merkur and Astra Platinum are my favourite combination,really don't know how people can use the feather blades I couldn't get on with them.
Proraso shave cream I've found the best for my skin, you can get it on ebay quite cheap and it will last you ages, and I mean absolutely ages

ebay.co.uk/itm…085
Nearly forgot. If you have sensitive skin use some thayers witch Hazel afterwards. A bottle will last years.
nemesiz12/04/2020 22:33

That's no problem. In all seriousness if you have a problem with sensitive …That's no problem. In all seriousness if you have a problem with sensitive skin some people find it's best to avoid using a manual razor. Instead have you considered using an electric shaver? Whilst an electric shaver doesn't shave as close, the results are normally acceptable and cause less irritation especially with those that suffer skin complaints such as eczema, or sensitive skin.

My skin is very sensitive and I’ve tried almost everything.
The one, the only blade that leaves my skin fresh and smooth with no cuts Gillette skinguard. I’ll not change it for anything else as it gets the job done while keeping my sensitive skin perfectly smooth and healthy
I use a Muhle r41 + feather blades and furbo vintage blu soap.
It's a very aggressive razor, which I prefer, but not recommended for a beginner. Even though I have sensitive skin myself I'm still left with smooth, non irritated skin.
As a lot have already mentioned in this thread, a merkur is great value and you will learn how to shave correctly AND cheaply.

Try it, you'll never go back to cartridges!!
I never knew so many people used ‘old fashioned’ safety razors. I have never ventured into that arena before but I think I will.

So, from what I have seen - should I try double edges razors is:

Proraso shave cream,
A German razor (Merkur or Muhle)
Feather blades

Would that be a good setup to start?
Cough cough.

a bar of soap and any sharp razor.

chin up......
Tongy13/04/2020 16:15

I never knew so many people used ‘old fashioned’ safety razors. I have nev …I never knew so many people used ‘old fashioned’ safety razors. I have never ventured into that arena before but I think I will.So, from what I have seen - should I try double edges razors is:Proraso shave cream,A German razor (Merkur or Muhle)Feather bladesWould that be a good setup to start?

Unless you have done this before and have the technique down perfectly, I would suggest not starting with an aggressive razor, like the Muhle R41, + Feather combo. There is a possibility of death by a thousand cuts .

Start with a cheap Chinese razor like Ming Shi or QShave adjustable, < £10 and excellent value. Add a variety pack of blades to test different blades, £5-10 depending on how many. Proraso is a fine cream, <£10. For a brush, Omega 49 is good value. Get a alcohol free moisturising lotion or Thayer witch hazel for post shave treatment. Everything usually available on eBay.

So for £30 or less, you get to run a project that will allow you to see what works with your skin and stubble (lowest number on the razor dial is usually the mildest setting). Plus if DE shaving is for you. There are many good training videos on YouTube, use them. Once you figure out exactly what works, you can buy a lot more expensive stuff.

Enjoy!
bozo00713/04/2020 17:57

Unless you have done this before and have the technique down perfectly, I …Unless you have done this before and have the technique down perfectly, I would suggest not starting with an aggressive razor, like the Muhle R41, + Feather combo. There is a possibility of death by a thousand cuts .Start with a cheap Chinese razor like Ming Shi or QShave adjustable, < £10 and excellent value. Add a variety pack of blades to test different blades, £5-10 depending on how many. Proraso is a fine cream, <£10. For a brush, Omega 49 is good value. Get a alcohol free moisturising lotion or Thayer witch hazel for post shave treatment. Everything usually available on eBay.So for £30 or less, you get to run a project that will allow you to see what works with your skin and stubble (lowest number on the razor dial is usually the mildest setting). Plus if DE shaving is for you. There are many good training videos on YouTube, use them. Once you figure out exactly what works, you can buy a lot more expensive stuff. Enjoy!

Fabulous, thanks for the wisdom.

I’m usually someone that favours the ‘if it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right’.... or ‘all the gear and no idea’ - whichever

I am sure that the NHS has enough on their plate without me turning up like something out of a slasher movie if I chose a low quality alternative without being told (as you have just done) how I might be able to do it right on a budget - at first.

Brilliant, thanks.
Edited by: "Tongy" 13th Apr
Gillette Silver blue blades or Japanese Feather, Proraso pre-shave cream, Taylors shaving cream
Tongy13/04/2020 18:01

Fabulous, thanks for the wisdom.I’m usually someone that favours the ‘if it …Fabulous, thanks for the wisdom.I’m usually someone that favours the ‘if it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right’.... or ‘all the gear and no idea’ - whichever I am sure that the NHS has enough on their plate without me turning up like something out of a slasher movie if I chose a low quality alternative without being told (as you have just done) how I might be able to do it right on a budget - at first.Brilliant, thanks.

Just be careful you don't enjoy it too much. As I said earlier, it can quickly become an expensive hobby
bozo00713/04/2020 18:05

Just be careful you don't enjoy it too much. As I said earlier, it can …Just be careful you don't enjoy it too much. As I said earlier, it can quickly become an expensive hobby

Some things are worth spending money on, others aren’t.

I shave everyday, I might as well enjoy the ritual
OllieSt13/04/2020 18:04

Gillette Silver blue blades or Japanese Feather, Proraso pre-shave cream, …Gillette Silver blue blades or Japanese Feather, Proraso pre-shave cream, Taylors shaving cream

In my experience, Feather is not a good idea for a DE beginner. Extremely sharp and unforgiving; makes sense given that the parent company's main business is surgical instruments.
I use King of Shaves shaving oil instead of cream/gel. Cured my sensitivity problem
Is a brush generally advisable?
Tongy13/04/2020 18:07

Some things are worth spending money on, others aren’t.I shave everyday, I …Some things are worth spending money on, others aren’t.I shave everyday, I might as well enjoy the ritual

I agree completely. If you want to learn more, badgerandblade.com and theshavingroom.co.uk are excellent resources.

Edit: error in forum name
Edited by: "bozo007" 13th Apr
Tongy13/04/2020 18:09

Is a brush generally advisable?

In my experience, yes. It helps get the right cushion on the face and doesn't require as much cream. The brush also helps lift & clear the stubble.
Tongy13/04/2020 16:15

I never knew so many people used ‘old fashioned’ safety razors. I have nev …I never knew so many people used ‘old fashioned’ safety razors. I have never ventured into that arena before but I think I will.So, from what I have seen - should I try double edges razors is:Proraso shave cream,A German razor (Merkur or Muhle)Feather bladesWould that be a good setup to start?

Don't use feather blades,you'll soon find out how easy it is to cut yourself if you're not experienced.

I'd recommend Astra Platinum blades though
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions