Groups

best method to format my hard drive

i know a simple format is not really good enough as the files can still be extracted. A format merely deletes pointers on the hd

i want to sell my hd on ebay but dont want any scumbags prodding it for data. So, what is the best method guys ?

thanks

9 Comments

Best thing to do is Restore system to beginning, or install installation discs. Good luck.

[email protected] KillDisk - Hard Drive Eraser is powerful and compact software that allows you to destroy all data on hard and floppy drives completely, excluding any possibility of future recovery of deleted files and folders. It's a hard drive and partition eraser utility.

killdisk.com/

Original Poster

many thanks.

I also found dban which looks good !

Webroot's Wndows washer "Bleaches" your HD. Can overwrite your it many many times over (as many as you like the more the better) Making the "remnants" unrecoverable. Should be available form to download from mininova.

mike07071964;4742456

Best thing to do is Restore system to beginning, or install installation … Best thing to do is Restore system to beginning, or install installation discs. Good luck.

wont kill the previous data on it though.

Kandiman1983;4742495

[email protected] KillDisk - Hard Drive Eraser is powerful and compact software … [email protected] KillDisk - Hard Drive Eraser is powerful and compact software that allows you to destroy all data on hard and floppy drives completely, excluding any possibility of future recovery of deleted files and folders. It's a hard drive and partition eraser utility.http://www.killdisk.com/

i tried kill disk and it did just that. completely killed my hard drive :x

Original Poster

Thanks guys!

Industry standards say if you wipe it seven times this is enough to make the extraction of files almost impossible

Check out this thread: hotukdeals.com/for…193

Another vote for dban though.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win amazing travel prizes including £2000 travel voucher, flights and holid…11
      2. LG G6 International [email protected] droidauthority22
      3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…77
      4. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card33

See more discussions