Best methods to secure your home

Posted 1st Oct
Coming into Winter... More crime on the way.. What are your tipsto make your home more secure?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
38587005-xX3wD.jpg
42 Comments
38587005-xX3wD.jpg
Burglar alarm and security cameras.
Burger alarm is Ronald McD visits.
38587017-GSYTE.jpg
NCIS01/10/2019 19:21

[Image]

How would they stop someone breaking into your house?
Lights
Locks (make sure they're used)
Alarm
^ The basics

CCTV an added deterrent.

One or more of those and chances are the would be burglars will look elsewhere fora an easier target. Nothing will stop these criminal scum though, if they want in thy will get in
I was thinking about putting gravel on the path down the side of the house so it would be easier here people approaching. Not sure if that would really help or not.
myusernamehasgone23401/10/2019 19:32

I was thinking about putting gravel on the path down the side of the house …I was thinking about putting gravel on the path down the side of the house so it would be easier here people approaching. Not sure if that would really help or not.

Perfectly fine on a nice summers evening when the windows are open and you're still awake, be in deep sleep though and it won't help.
I have been to a lot of houses after they have been burgled in the night with the residents fast asleep and they did not hear a thing. Even those who reckon they are light sleepers and will hear everything....
Making an empty property appear occupied while you are out I would think would be the best idea, so to make the opportunist thief pick someone else's property.

Leave radios or lights in your house on a timer to make the property appear to be occupied. Get something like TV Simulator.

38587203-6Qv09.jpg

police.uk/cri…ry/

• Lock your doors and windows every time you leave the house, even when you're just out in the garden, remembering to double-lock UPVC doors (lift handle and turn key)
  • Hide all keys, including car keys, out of sight and away from the letterbox (remember a device could be used to hook keys through the letterbox)
  • Install a visual burglar alarm (as part of a suite of prevention measures - a burglar alarm on its own will not prevent entry to your home)
  • Install good outside lighting
  • Get a trusted neighbour to keep an eye on your property
  • Leave radios or lights in your house on a timer to make the property appear occupied
  • Make sure the fences around your garden are in good condition
  • Secure bikes at home by locking them to an immoveable object inside a locked shed or garage
  • Keep ladders and tools stored away; don't leave them outside where they could be used to break into your home
  • Ensure side gates are locked to prevent access to the rear of the property
  • Ensure rear fencing is in good repair
  • Improve natural surveillance at the front of your property i.e. trim high hedges
  • Consider joining or forming a Neighbourhood Watch scheme
  • Remove valuables from view of ground floor windows
  • Store any high value items (i.e. jewellery, passports) in a properly secured safe or bank vault
SaltyExpert01/10/2019 19:53

Very true!Oh, and tidy your house

I had my comment removed for using the s word

Lets try again

The path will look better if nothing else.

I genuinely woke up one night and looked out the bedroom on the landing and thought oh we’ve been burgled I laid there for a short while thinking how could I not of heard anything before coming around a bit and realising it was actually just the house been a complete tip. "
My wife
You can use cheap door sensors with a RF hub and a home assistant to trigger mains sirens or lights. Door alarms on sheds and out houses can make the difference between you loosing everything or waking up to a lot of noise and a broken door.
Edited by: "mogsog" 1st Oct
.MUFC.01/10/2019 20:03

My wife

Reminds me of when I talk to dog walkers and they say "nah we don't need an alarm or owt, we got 'er (looks down at dog)"
Yeah, so your dog is here with you now, so......*

*disclaimer, not saying your wife is a dog
I’ve put some of the cheap door sensors that work with Smartthings round the house. Then linked it to hue bulbs. Now when my doors, including internal garage door, open. Our bedroom lights come on anytime after 11pm.
Need to add more sensors for windows etc.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 2nd Oct
It sounds bad, but make your house look a harder prospect to break into than your neighbors. Security lights, camera, lights on timer, secure locks, strong doors, etc.
38587783-xSEmz.jpg
deleted1523363
Well yes a dog but apart from that it's difficult. Mainly because every tactic you use is going to impact your every day and the burler only once. Clear prominent cameras could be the best solution. If they doesn't deter them a loud internal alarm, I heard of one person putting a fake cupboard on the wall and having the door link to an alarm. I can't really think of anything else that will work apart from moving to a safer place.
Put a CCTV recording sticker and then upstairs make sure a webcam is visible. At night, simply leave it plugged into a laptop or PC so that light is lit.
You may also want to invest in some security films and coat the outside of your windows. These absorb the force and prevents your windows being smashed .. well... as they claim.
Edited by: "zworld" 2nd Oct
I mentioned the travelling fraternity and it's been deleted. Let's substitute it with people not normally resident in this area. In PC speak that is acceptable to my local council
SaltyExpert01/10/2019 20:13

Reminds me of when I talk to dog walkers and they say "nah we don't need …Reminds me of when I talk to dog walkers and they say "nah we don't need an alarm or owt, we got 'er (looks down at dog)"Yeah, so your dog is here with you now, so......**disclaimer, not saying your wife is a dog

The disclaimer lol
When you hear someone fire shots
Set some bear traps. It's about time these scumbags need hurting who have no right trespassing, breaking in, invading ones property since the pigs treat burglary as low priority. I wouldn't shed a tear if the losses a leg.

veedubjai02/10/2019 11:04

Set some bear traps. It's about time these scumbags need hurting who have …Set some bear traps. It's about time these scumbags need hurting who have no right trespassing, breaking in, invading ones property since the pigs treat burglary as low priority. I wouldn't shed a tear if the losses a leg.[Image]

That’s exactly what my 10 year old suggested

Set some bear traps. It's about time these scumbags need hurting who have …Set some bear traps. It's about time these scumbags need hurting who have no right trespassing, breaking in, invading ones property since the pigs treat burglary as low priority. I wouldn't shed a tear if the losses a leg.[Image]

Er okayyyy
May seem a daft comment but if you have the room (and time) to keep them - GEESE. A goose is a better "guard dog" than any mutt. Always outside, always vigilant and boy do they go for it if anyone is around. Very wary creatures. Admittedly, they won't have the 'scare' factor that the first post piccy has though! Hehe. They do give a nasty nip though...

On a serious note - signage. I have found that people are much more aware if you just have warning signs up about CCTV etc. but don't have any cameras/cameras on show. It makes them more on edge and plants a seed. I've witnessed countless people at the doorstep trying to see (and comment about) the camera(s) that they'll NEVER see. So many people have cameras that are fake (and easily recognised as such) or have them in areas that can easily be dodged. By NOT having them in view (or not having them at all!) is a better approach as Mr Crim cannot 'scope out' your security beforehand or on-the-fly. They are left guessing. A CPO told me a time ago that there's nothing they hate more than NOT knowing.

It's the same thing with someone else's previous suggestion of those lights they make it look like you're at home. Actually, this can be a 'plus' for a criminal. They know you are there and can keep vigilant whilst they work. It also means that you are preoccupied indoors and not necessarily paying attention to what's happening outside. A couple I know recently had their 1000ltr tank of heating oil drained dry whilst they were at home one evening. Never heard or saw a thing. TV is a thief's partner in crime...

I know it's all just "opinion" but on the subject of security lighting - there are those that say it's a deterrent and those that say it actually 'helps' the perpetrator to see what they are doing. I guess it comes down to where your situate said lights. Placed correctly, they certainly can give someone a shock/panic so I think they are a good security measure. Just don't point them at the thing you're trying to protect! What I mean to say is, point them at an approach to something - not AT the something. You want to illuminate the area to a door for example. Not the door itself. Mr Crim looks more suspicious flashing a torch around rather than bathing in your glorious spotlight!

Cameras. Don't put up generic 'fake' cameras. You know the ones. The ones with "Security Cam" or such-forth emblazoned across them! Haha. I see them all the time and know immediately. Especially the ones that have the 'blinky' light in them. If you have one of those, take the battery out. When was the last time you saw a proper security camera with a flashing light? Ok, I know they do exist but most 'real' cameras either don't or have a static light. If you want to, buy a used or defunct 'shell' and put that up as a dummy. It'll have more clout - trust me. I've custom-built dummy systems before and you wouldn't tell the difference.

All the best, Phsy.

You might shed a few when you're inside and "Big Shirley" uses you like a 'Friday night' fun doll though. I don't think bear traps would be considered 'reasonable force' by the establishment to protect your castle...

The law will FCUK you over if you use any weaponry or over the top hostility towards an intruder on your property, & worse still of you have a s----heel neighbour & a liar thief / tresspasser combined then they may get you a court record for assault! ..like happened to me!
Phsycronix02/10/2019 11:45

You might shed a few when you're inside and "Big Shirley" uses you like a …You might shed a few when you're inside and "Big Shirley" uses you like a 'Friday night' fun doll though. I don't think bear traps would be considered 'reasonable force' by the establishment to protect your castle...

reasonable force is also full of conjecture, as a law abiding homeowner you are an easy prosecution for police "clearing up crime stats" based on probability! ....its a farce.

I didn't physically touch the trespasser on our property who broke law (beyond trespass) was subsequently deemed & fund guilty of assault, fined, threatened with prison, not allowed back into canada where I was due to fly out to again! ...all sorts of BS, ..when it comes down to "your word" you better have a good set of camera's, sound, & witnessess who aren't kids (kids are ignored in court).
If you cannot afford the shiznitz high quality cameras then buy a cheap kit, why@ because the wiring you go to the effort of laying out in lofts etc & through walls can likely be used in direct swaps for better cameras (ie cables for sound, cables for vision, likely same end terminations),,, so you can upgrade when you have more cash spare.
But obviously cheap kits aren't that hot they will be a physical deterrent.
cameras come with their own caveats.
Mr_Gus02/10/2019 11:58

reasonable force is also full of conjecture, as a law abiding homeowner …reasonable force is also full of conjecture, as a law abiding homeowner you are an easy prosecution for police "clearing up crime stats" based on probability! ....its a farce.I didn't physically touch the trespasser on our property who broke law (beyond trespass) was subsequently deemed & fund guilty of assault, fined, threatened with prison, not allowed back into canada where I was due to fly out to again! ...all sorts of BS, ..when it comes down to "your word" you better have a good set of camera's, sound, & witnessess who aren't kids (kids are ignored in court).

That sounds really horrible Mr_Gus. Sad story but so true of today. It all stems from a centuries-old belief that there is NO SUCH THING AS TRESPASS. Crazy, I know but true. If a door to your home is open (or unlocked but closed) I can open it (without breaking entry) and walk around your home (making sure I do not move or disturb anything) and walk out again and I am perfectly within the law to do so. If you touched me in any way (even try to hinder my movement) it can be classed as assault. It's farcical, isn't it? Who would openly let someone do that right? That's where reasonable force comes in. As you say though, it's open to wide interpretation.

I've never understood why these age-old rules can't be changed to something more appropriate such as you can only enter someone's home with their explicit consent. I guess the problem with that is the old "Right to access" thing. You can remove "Implied right to access" but even that comes with legal caveats. It's a barmy old world eh?
The trouble with toughened glass is it's easy to get through, better to go with laminated although more expensive and heavier.
Thanks Physcronix, yes it is killing me through sheer stress causing health implications via suppressed rage at the whole incident internal bleeding!

I was denied a court appointed solicitor on the day, simply couldn't pull together an "estimated" £3k to secure solicitor at that point.

I am a person who has been aware of "limitations" of so called laws (inc how far you can go in self defense with an intruder, as i've advised many for years, however when it comes to the crunch & you state the truth in court & the other doesn't ..you are liable!The neighbour who assisted the person to come onto our property (no prior notification, disregarded signage et al) then got her family to basically trespass on our property with multiple family menbers in an attempt to get me to assault someone, ..its truly farce, so when I see the idiocy of pictures of guns, joke talk of bear traps, lucille etc ...I may as well chip in with how I am now stigmatised for not actually physically touching an intruder & the fall-out!

I now have an unwarranted criminal record for somehting I didn't do which limits my travel & folks perceptions of me!

Be warned, the cops aren't there to "help" you, I coul go on because it got worse after that when in the "gang invasion" to incite me (they all had phones out) my wife rang 999 ..whilst struggling to keep 23 stone oaf at bay (she's 5ft 4) & swore, the cretins at the emergency services finished the call & left us to it in essence till I called again at which point a lone policeman turns up some hour later!

So read this folks & absorb, it happened to me.
Mr_Gus02/10/2019 12:33

Thanks Physcronix, yes it is killing me through sheer stress causing …Thanks Physcronix, yes it is killing me through sheer stress causing health implications via suppressed rage at the whole incident internal bleeding!I was denied a court appointed solicitor on the day, simply couldn't pull together an "estimated" £3k to secure solicitor at that point.I am a person who has been aware of "limitations" of so called laws (inc how far you can go in self defense with an intruder, as i've advised many for years, however when it comes to the crunch & you state the truth in court & the other doesn't ..you are liable!The neighbour who assisted the person to come onto our property (no prior notification, disregarded signage et al) then got her family to basically trespass on our property with multiple family menbers in an attempt to get me to assault someone, ..its truly farce, so when I see the idiocy of pictures of guns, joke talk of bear traps, lucille etc ...I may as well chip in with how I am now stigmatised for not actually physically touching an intruder & the fall-out!I now have an unwarranted criminal record for somehting I didn't do which limits my travel & folks perceptions of me!Be warned, the cops aren't there to "help" you, I coul go on because it got worse after that when in the "gang invasion" to incite me (they all had phones out) my wife rang 999 ..whilst struggling to keep 23 stone oaf at bay (she's 5ft 4) & swore, the cretins at the emergency services finished the call & left us to it in essence till I called again at which point a lone policeman turns up some hour later!So read this folks & absorb, it happened to me.

Wow. There's nothing I can say to that, other than to empathize. It sounds like you were in a lose-lose situation. Not being there, I have no way to know whether I (or anyone) would have done anything differently. Awful. Really awful.

I know some Police Constable's personally (I will NOT call them officers. They are not in the armed forces) and they do 'individually' have a tough job. It is however the institution they work for that I have grown to dislike. As you say, they are supposed to be there to help people but that does mean ALL people - criminals included. Whilst the PC knows you were/are innocent, the 'establishment' they represent may/does not and that is why our judicial system is viewed by many as farcical.

I watched a talk from a lawyer about the legal system a while ago and it has changed my view of how the Police/legal system as a whole works 'against' you in many ways. I am ashamed to say it but it has made me develop a more defensive; albeit cowardly; approach to things. Assisting the Police, even when it isn't an issue directly involving you can work against you and inadvertently make you a suspect. Only yesterday, I happened to be in a shop and a young guy (hoodie) ran into the store, followed shortly by two other guys and a girl. Lots of foul language ensued - something to do with "calling the pigs." The worst language came from the girl - at which point I said "Heyyy" but she continued. The proprietor (female Manager) I was talking to spoke to them, just saying "Excuse me!" and then the three left and the one guy remained. He was asked if he was ok and explained that some altercation had occurred and he had threatened to call the Police - which they took umbrage to. I think there may well have been more to it. Anyway, I suggested to the Manager that she let the guy out the back door (as the three were loitering outside and kept checking for him) which she did. Long story short, we had a latter conversation about getting involved and the discussion inevitably turned to at what point you intervene with the possibility of getting a blade between your ribs. One of the guys looked enraged going on about his "missus" and what he'd do. You just don't know anymore. I know you can't just step aside and let things happen but...

Until something actually happens and Adrenalin takes over, I guess we never know quite what we'd do. In your case Mr-Gus, the outcome wasn't a good one but is it all over now? Can you move forward and try to do your best to forget the whole incident? I hope so.
Thing is people ignore signage (including judges & magistrates). ..they don't count for "jack"

The jehovah's witnesess london HQ imply that they refuse to accept "NO", signage & the law, because that interferes with "gods rule" (or rather their interpretation of achieving salvation) ..I know that because I challenged that one too (long story short sick dog getting disturbed & their "sometimes offensive" belief system meaning I did not wish to interact with them.

Also there is LAW pertaining to GAS utility & ELECTRIC utility employees & your property, even if these are broken (the Gas one is easier to find & verify than the well hidden electricity version but in essence they are the same document assigned to separate utilities, ..& those are regularly broken & ignored!

If you are taking damage to your property (for instance) because your car is on your driveway down the side of your house & your neighbours utilities need to be accessed from your side (e.g. electric meter) then the utility is meant to get permission from YOU the other householder, but will likely take it from the owner of the meter they want to read to achieve bonus! ..if your vehicle is damaged as a result there is no leg to stand on just denial!& you can imagine how it deteriorates because an energy compny will not speak to "you" about your property, because you don't hold an account with them / it is not about your account, ..but they will trespass & trash your property with zero comeback & company lawyers for instance!

My advice? camera's covering multiple points with sound & clear notice, poiuntless bu in a squeeze with the tinyiest chance of a non bored counting down to his pension judge you "might" get lucky, if ever in the mire pertaining to oafs of any kind on / breaking into your property.
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 2nd Oct
its not over as long as I am perceived as guilty & still have those neighbours who periodically try it on.High walls, locked gates, signage security, sad state of affairs to have to pay for!

I know cops (ex friend) I know inspectors (family) & power often corrupts.

Nowadays I simply wouldn't help a cop getting a kicking or needing assistance, knew a good one who got rollocked for being to nice, he was a village policeman living in the community, within a police house, ..he was a good cop with the respect of the community, ...sadly they are a dying breed.

Too many small & big episodes that have tainted my view, they aren't going to win me back.
Generally my wife & I will assist at accidents (we encounter a few & have it down pat) she being a spinal & heart nurse, ..i'll tend to go now as soon as a generally terse & ungrateful road cop turns up, I just don't want to know them, they are pretty much not fit for purpose.
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 2nd Oct
ansonuk102/10/2019 02:04

I mentioned the travelling fraternity and it's been deleted. Let's …I mentioned the travelling fraternity and it's been deleted. Let's substitute it with people not normally resident in this area. In PC speak that is acceptable to my local council

Most housebreak-ins are caused by persons living within a 25 mile vicinity aren't they?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants