Expired

best Microsoft office alternative

Found 6th Nov 2016
Hi everyone, so getting my chrome book delivered this week and was wondering which are the best office suites which are compatible with Microsoft office.

Obviously they need to be compatible with a chrome book and seeing its my first chrome book, not sure what to expect.

Kids are going to use it for their home work so they need to be able to do the work at home, save it to a memory card, take it to school and should load up without issues.

I know there are a number of options out there, just need one which is free, best compatibility with Microsoft office and also is kept regularly updated by the devs.

Thanks

14 Comments

open office

Open office

Google docs, Google sheets etc etc

open office is your best bet.. but if you kids' homework is very important and involves some complicate pictures or formatting then you may want to test it in Office (or Office online) to make sure it looks as intended in Office.

Original Poster

MJGM

http://www.openoffice.org

Is that compatible with a chrome book? Is it still the case that you can't download any software to use on the Chrome book and everything needs to be done via the Chrome browser?

Original Poster

magicpork

open office is your best bet.. but if you kids' homework is very … open office is your best bet.. but if you kids' homework is very important and involves some complicate pictures or formatting then you may want to test it in Office (or Office online) to make sure it looks as intended in Office.

No chance of anything complicated, kids are 10 and 8 X)

But still, if they do any work on open office, I'd like them to feel confident that when they take the homework to school and load it up on the school pc, it will open up and show the work as intended.

EN1GMA

Is that compatible with a chrome book? Is it still the case that you … Is that compatible with a chrome book? Is it still the case that you can't download any software to use on the Chrome book and everything needs to be done via the Chrome browser?

I haven't used one but I believe there is an App store. I don't think LibreOffice (which OpenOffice was a now-moribund old version of) is in there.

On a Chromebook you'll probably just have to take whatever's available, it's not a platform that's widely developed for - more one aimed at those who are happy to use whatever it comes with (google docs in this case).

Google docs

Don't bother with openoffice, libreoffice replaced it in pretty much everyway.

Libre office. Been using for years.

I found Google Docs very inconsistent with formatting - even with just viewing, nevermind editing. I'd stick with one of the other alternatives.

Original Poster

Worry over. I've remembered I've got office 365 sub running until 2019 so going to stick with that.

I think there are native chrome book apps for Microsoft office so hopefully that's the sorted.

Thanks for the response guys.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Premium baked beans just 99p for 4 cans from ALDI!1732
    2. Boredom1419
    3. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet35108
    4. Trying to create a list of short modern video games. Any suggestions?918

See more discussions