Best mobile for around £10-£15 / month?

15 replies
Found 31st Dec 2016
I'm after a decent android phone and have no particular problem with either a contract which includes a phone or a seperate phone + sim only contract.

My current phone is a Doogee F5 which has proven to be a mistake. Never great (doesn't seem to pick up any internet outside of 4G) and increasingly flakey (GPS is very patchy, battery reports 25%+ then dies with no power) it has put me off chinese phones to a reasonable extent.

Have seen deals for the Moto G4 and the Wileyfox Swift 2, the Huawei phones also look pretty good for the money?

Or should I give one of the better chinese brands a go? Which brands have a reputation for better build quality?

Any thoughts or opinions would be helpful!

15 Comments

Would need to know what your expected usage / inclusive monthly allowance requirements are.

I have a Moto G4 Plus and it is a great phone. The battery life is fantastic.

Wife has a first gen Swift. Also a great phone, but I prefer the G4.

Virgin media have some great sim only tariffs.

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

Would need to know what your expected usage / inclusive monthly allowance … Would need to know what your expected usage / inclusive monthly allowance requirements are.

Doh! Had planned to put that and got carried away with the post button!

Very little in terms of talk time / texts, and probably around 2GB preferably, possible 1GB if the deal is that much better... (hard to judge as I've not been using as much this year due to rubbish internet connectivity)

Wishlist for the phone - 4G, gyro sensor (wanted to start using Google Expeditions with m'kids), decent camera.

I got an lg G3 with 2gb of data for £15 pm last year and love the phone
Edited by: "codnan" 31st Dec 2016

Just got my teenage offspring a Samsung galaxy A5 (2016). £20.99 a month for 18 months unlimited minutes unlimited texts and 2gb of data. The camara is great. Much better then my iPhone 6. I think it's (13mp) from afforadable mobiles online. Free tracked delivery. Not sure if u think that's a good deal but that was best price I could find on Ee for that phone and allowance. Carephone warehouse had it on a better deal (£17.49 per month) but it was ID their own network and I wasn't sure what that was like so I stuck with affordable mobiles. She's had it a few weeks now and everything has been great with it. Looks great, works very well etc.
This was before Christmas when I got it. You can maybe find it cheaper in a sale or something now. Anyway thought I'd let you know that info incase you found it helpful. Good luck finding the perfect phone and deal for you!

Original Poster

Thanks all, some new ones to look at.

My wife has an A5 and it seems pretty decent. I've never been particularly taken by their top end phones, but the A series seems a little better...

Mobile Phones Direct have Moto G4 for £10 a month, 500mins, 5000texts and 1gb data, possibly Cashback as well to reduce price even further if you don't mind Cashback deals, it is only 3g signal though with talkmobile which uses Vodafone's network, I get around 22gb download and 4-5 gb upload in rural Devon/Cornwall.

Original Poster

Dyslexic_Dog

Mobile Phones Direct have Moto G4 for £10 a month, 500mins, 5000texts and … Mobile Phones Direct have Moto G4 for £10 a month, 500mins, 5000texts and 1gb data, possibly Cashback as well to reduce price even further if you don't mind Cashback deals, it is only 3g signal though with talkmobile which uses Vodafone's network, I get around 22gb download and 4-5 gb upload in rural Devon/Cornwall.

This one is the top of my list at the moment, ta

Evilmonkey

This one is the top of my list at the moment, ta

No problem, i have one myself from this very deal and had no problems so far, also if you order the white model it is a dual sim phone which comes in handy.
I'm just putting all my music on it now using the 128gb micro sd card i picked up for £13 from the deal on here.
Just to add it should get the Android 7 (Nougat) update sometime soon as well.
Edited by: "Dyslexic_Dog" 31st Dec 2016

IPhone 5s

Original Poster

beau_higgs

IPhone 5s

Naah, not an iphone fan, but thanks though

Original Poster

Any thoughts on the Huawei p9 lite?

Looks to be some good deals on this?

Huawei P9

Original Poster

beau_higgs

Huawei P9

That's more like it!

I'd love this one, but it's a fair bit out of my budget. I like the lite version too.

I've narrowed (HA!) it down to 4 now:-

Huawei P9 Lite
Moto G4
Wileyfox Swift 2 (or the plus version if it comes down on Amazon again)
Asus Zenfone 2

They all look pretty good, but all of them are missing something (Eg. the P9 lite is missing the Gyro sensor). It's just a case of which compromise do I make...

Evilmonkey

That's more like it!I'd love this one, but it's a fair bit out of my … That's more like it!I'd love this one, but it's a fair bit out of my budget. I like the lite version too.I've narrowed (HA!) it down to 4 now:-Huawei P9 LiteMoto G4Wileyfox Swift 2 (or the plus version if it comes down on Amazon again)Asus Zenfone 2They all look pretty good, but all of them are missing something (Eg. the P9 lite is missing the Gyro sensor). It's just a case of which compromise do I make...

​Nice There is a good phone at Carphone warehouse for 13.50 a month its the ZTE Axon 7 elite the phone has Dolby Atmos which is the best sound system in the phone industry yet
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. School shoes - with lights55
    2. Sim deal with EU calls45
    3. Sapphire RX 480 or GTX 1060 founders edition22
    4. Xbox Newbie47

See more discussions