Groups

best mobile phone for £350 or under

I've got £350 to spend on a new phone.

Things that I want out of a phone:

Good screen (not so fussy with amoled or lcd, or full HD and 2k) at 5.2+ inches

Good headphone sound quality from the DAC, reasonable speaker performance.

Good enough processor and ram so it doesn't lag.

Above average battery life

Pretty good camera (I know I won't get excellent at this price)

At least 64gb internal storage if no sd card, or 32gb at least with sd card (I'd prefer an sd card, but it's not the end of the world if I had at least 64gb storage)

Reasonable amount of software updates (I don't want a phone that will be ignored for ever by the manufacturer)

Phones I've considered :

Moto Z play (amazing battery, ticks most of the boxes, processor is more mid-range and struggles with more graphical intensive apps)

ZTE Axon 7 mini (speaker and headphone audio are second to none, but old processor might lag, also zte not known for updates. I'd definitely go for the bigger axon 7 if available over here!)

Honor 8 (quite good at everything, camera probably the best here.)

Oneplus 3 (obviously the best spec'd here, so shouldn't struggle with any app. Good camera, average battery, ok headphone audio. No sd card is a little limiting for me, oneplus historically slow with updates, awful customer service)

Huawei mate 8 (same specs as the honor 8 but bigger screen and battery, but might be imports on Amazon)

A few of last years flagships but I'd rather be guaranteed to get updates (lg g4, lg v10, axon elite, Blackberry priv)

I'm a bit torn as I'm not sure any of these tick all my boxes (nothing will I'm sure) so would appreciate any input or other options I've not considered! If only the full sized Axon 7 was properly available here!

I'm not really a fan of importing anything so no gearbest etc

Thanks for the help!

16 Comments

Oneplus 3 from O2 best of the bunch

Original Poster

Why is the O2 one better than one from their website? I'm on EE (probably should have mentioned that!)

RadiantDuck

Why is the O2 one better than one from their website? I'm on EE (probably … Why is the O2 one better than one from their website? I'm on EE (probably should have mentioned that!)

I wonder why too...

probably because you can potentially walk in and buy one!

+1 for the 1+3 btw, I have one and it's all its cracked up to be. camera is actually very good too

LG G5?

Original Poster

devilsadv0cate

LG G5?

I can't find it for that price at the moment. Also my wife has one and I fancy something a little different!

You won't go far wrong with the OnePlus 3, I'm very impressed with mine. Pound for Pound it's a excellent phone compared with other brands.

samsung S7

RadiantDuck

Why is the O2 one better than one from their website? I'm on EE (probably … Why is the O2 one better than one from their website? I'm on EE (probably should have mentioned that!)

​Because you can go to a store and buy one but also if it does go wrong you deal with o2 not Oneplus for repairs

oneplus 3 or samsung s7

just in reference to your comments on op3... the battery is ok... but the dash charging is amazing its a game change mitigates the ok battery.

i bought a op3 in sept since then its had approx 3/4 updates i think there really pushing the software now.

The bit that got myself in your wishlist was the headphone DAC part. Not many "good" devices have good DAC's. Really you would be looking at an iPhone (You have no idea how much I hate saying that lol). Unsure if the list in the below link will keep expanded but if not click on "Audio Output" benchmark and the list will appear. You will be looking for the headphone benchmarks in yellow. You will notice how low the Oneplus 3 scores in that area (both the Oneplus 1 and 2 scored higher).

phonearena.com/pho…rks

(Higher is better)
    Moto Z Play - 0.507v
    ZTE - 0.583v
    Honor 8 - 0.42v
    Huawei mate 8 - 0.368v
    OP3 - 0.82 (OP1 0.93/ OP2 0.91)v
    iPhone 0.992-1.017 (5-7 ranges)
    The HTC ranges always score very highly normally above the 1 mark much like the iPhone ranges.

The other part in your wish list also about updates and amendments by manufacturers I'd be going that little bit extra and going for the Nexus 6P.OP are also quite good at present with updates as they always have to release them in pretty quick successions to fix what they messed up in the last update (take a look at the OP forums after any update release for the bug trackers). Have a 6P myself and currently on Android 7.1.1 while everyone else is pondering what date they might android 7.0 never mind 7.1.1 daydream capable. Not to mention the monthly security patches also. Although you will sacrifice the headphone dac quality but hopefully you can see from the bench marking not many are actually that good outside of the iPhone range (cringes lol)

Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 2nd Nov 2016

i'm looking at purchasing a one plus three soon. can the one plus three be unlocked if purchased from o2 as their coverage in my area is poop. if I get it unlocked would that the invalidate the warranty?

Original Poster

cecilmcroberts

The bit that got myself in your wishlist was the headphone DAC part. Not … The bit that got myself in your wishlist was the headphone DAC part. Not many "good" devices have good DAC's. Really you would be looking at an iPhone (You have no idea how much I hate saying that lol). Unsure if the list in the below link will keep expanded but if not click on "Audio Output" benchmark and the list will appear. You will be looking for the headphone benchmarks in yellow. You will notice how low the Oneplus 3 scores in that area (both the Oneplus 1 and 2 scored higher). http://www.phonearena.com/phones/benchmarks(Higher is better)Moto Z Play - 0.507vZTE - 0.583vHonor 8 - 0.42vHuawei mate 8 - 0.368vOP3 - 0.82 (OP1 0.93/ OP2 0.91)viPhone 0.992-1.017 (5-7 ranges)The HTC ranges always score very highly normally above the 1 mark much like the iPhone ranges. The other part in your wish list also about updates and amendments by manufacturers I'd be going that little bit extra and going for the Nexus 6P.OP are also quite good at present with updates as they always have to release them in pretty quick successions to fix what they messed up in the last update (take a look at the OP forums after any update release for the bug trackers). Have a 6P myself and currently on Android 7.1.1 while everyone else is pondering what date they might android 7.0 never mind 7.1.1 daydream capable. Not to mention the monthly security patches also. Although you will sacrifice the headphone dac quality but hopefully you can see from the bench marking not many are actually that good outside of the iPhone range (cringes lol)

​Thanks, i appreciate this. One issue I have is that the LG V10 has universally applauded headphones quality but it scores worse than the s7, which I used to own and wasn't very good at all. But the YouTube reviews from the like of Pocketnow show how the v10 is far superior to the s7 and how the axon 7 and 7 mini (which aren't on this list) are far better than this. Also all reviews for the likes of the v10, htc 10 and Sony z5 premium highlight their impressive sound quality but all three have scored low on this list. So I think we have to take this list with a pinch of salt! But appreciate the effort!

joemaries

i'm looking at purchasing a one plus three soon. can the one plus three … i'm looking at purchasing a one plus three soon. can the one plus three be unlocked if purchased from o2 as their coverage in my area is poop. if I get it unlocked would that the invalidate the warranty?

​The Oneplus 3 from o2 isn't locked so no problems there

spencer24

​The Oneplus 3 from o2 isn't locked so no problems there

​thanks

RadiantDuck

​Thanks, i appreciate this. One issue I have is that the LG V10 has u … ​Thanks, i appreciate this. One issue I have is that the LG V10 has universally applauded headphones quality but it scores worse than the s7, which I used to own and wasn't very good at all. But the YouTube reviews from the like of Pocketnow show how the v10 is far superior to the s7 and how the axon 7 and 7 mini (which aren't on this list) are far better than this. Also all reviews for the likes of the v10, htc 10 and Sony z5 premium highlight their impressive sound quality but all three have scored low on this list. So I think we have to take this list with a pinch of salt! But appreciate the effort!

Like everything you have to really read into the stats. Those stats simply benchmark the v output from the dac but you need to take other factors into consideration such as what else the phone/os/hardware is doing at the time as doubtful any of them will be using all available resources for the music. Personally I find nothing beats good old fashioned go into a store and have a listen yourself and bring a sample (or few) files yourself along with your normal headphones you use. Like all statistics you can make them read any way you like my favourite example of this is those car reliability survey's they never ask does the person like look after the car, off course a car will have issues if it is not serviced, not simple fluid checks done, but they just go by the amount of breakdowns etc each brand has had.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Does anyone have a Xbox gold trial code33
      2. Furniture Sliders22
      3. Argos 3 for 2 reserving early11
      4. SCS add ons... are they worth it??22

See more discussions