Expired

Best Modem Router for Virgin Media Broadband?

Found 23rd Sep 2014
What are the best Routers with built in modems that are compatible with Virgin broadband?

I was looking at Asus's DSL-AC68U but came across a review that mentioned it doesn't suppport Virgin (www.trustedreviews.com%2Fasus-dsl-ac68u-ac1900-vdsl-router_Peripheral_review&ei=s54hVMfqNITiaOPrgZgK&usg=AFQjCNHdcLiaINoAbD7cYIa3tQEQ3_TPEg&sig2=47uTK7ixBCgMks8boOG07A&bvm=bv.75775273,d.d2s)

Can't really find anything on Amazon either.

Update: CANCELLED VIRGIN SERVICE - Thanks for the responses
Community Updates
7 Comments
Is it for Virgin's fibre broadband? If so, you can't use non-Virgin modems with that service, but you can put the Super Hub into modem-only mode and attach a router to it.
Original Poster
clostridium_botulinum

Is it for Virgin's fibre broadband? If so, you can't use non-Virgin … Is it for Virgin's fibre broadband? If so, you can't use non-Virgin modems with that service, but you can put the Super Hub into modem-only mode and attach a router to it.

Bah that's what I was afraid of. I really don't want two devices on. I'm surprised there's nothing out there.
Banned
The Virgin Superhub II is very good. A million miles better than the SH 1.
I concur. The Super Hub 2 is good unless it lacks what you need. You can either put it in modem mode with another router or use just that.
you cant buy cable modems over here and even if you do buy one from ebay, virgin won't activate it.
so either use the superhub and maybe a wifi extender elsewhere in the house or use it in modem mode and another router
DSL-AC68U : the clue's in the name ;). This has an integrated DSL modem which is required for BT, Plusnet and other ADSL providers, but it is not what Virgin use.

What is the problem with your existing setup? You think that a different model can get you better WAN-side speeds?
Or you are unhappy with wireless LAN performance?

If the latter, there's nothing stopping you getting another router (not a modem/router) and running that off the back of the supplied Virgin unit. Is there?
Original Poster
joshm

DSL-AC68U : the clue's in the name ;). This has an integrated DSL modem … DSL-AC68U : the clue's in the name ;). This has an integrated DSL modem which is required for BT, Plusnet and other ADSL providers, but it is not what Virgin use.What is the problem with your existing setup? You think that a different model can get you better WAN-side speeds?Or you are unhappy with wireless LAN performance?If the latter, there's nothing stopping you getting another router (not a modem/router) and running that off the back of the supplied Virgin unit. Is there?

I wanted an all in one modem and router to reduce unnecessary power consumption. Anyway after one day with Virgin I decided to cancel their service. It's a joke when it comes to gaming at peak times and a whole load of other issues.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants