Best Modem/Router cable?

Found 11th Dec 2017
The one sky has given me is awful. I was getting no more than 40mb speeds. Tried a friends and it's shot up to 60mb.

What's the best high quality, shielded one to get?
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
You can buy converted network cables which are RJ45 to RJ11 off ebay. Go for the twisted pair ones. A lot of BS about how cat3 cable is fine and you don't need twisted core etc but people forget that the external cable is buried underground with next to zero interference and is twisted. The cheap cables you get off your provider and flat cables and more suspect to internal interference.

The signal coming into the home is an analogue signal and not a digital one so signal loss makes a big difference.
If you are still using ADSL filters then swap out your faceplate with a VDSL one as you can drop the filters and it improves the signal strength as well.
Original Poster
kester766 m ago

If you are still using ADSL filters then swap out your faceplate with a …If you are still using ADSL filters then swap out your faceplate with a VDSL one as you can drop the filters and it improves the signal strength as well.

I have some sort of built in filter, so I don't use the ones that the ISP supplies.

Why go for RJ45 to RJ11? Can't you just go for RJ11? Can you link me to some decent cables please?
RJ45 fits better in the master socket and rj11 fits better in the modem. Not checked but something like this should be ok.
ebay.co.uk/itm…l7w

Looks like a standard belkin cable with one end cut off and a rj11 connector fitted.
Original Poster
kester761 m ago

RJ45 fits better in the master socket and rj11 fits better in the modem. …RJ45 fits better in the master socket and rj11 fits better in the modem. Not checked but something like this should be ok.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-0m-RJ45-RJ11-Plug-Cat5-Ethernet-ADSL-Router-Modem-Connector-Broadband-Cable/251690236031?epid=1388603263&hash=item3a99e8387f:g:xQIAAOSwF1dUSl7wLooks like a standard belkin cable with one end cut off and a rj11 connector fitted.

Is that likely to be shielded and have 4 pairs rather than 2?
Original Poster
kester7620 m ago

You can buy converted network cables which are RJ45 to RJ11 off ebay. Go …You can buy converted network cables which are RJ45 to RJ11 off ebay. Go for the twisted pair ones. A lot of BS about how cat3 cable is fine and you don't need twisted core etc but people forget that the external cable is buried underground with next to zero interference and is twisted. The cheap cables you get off your provider and flat cables and more suspect to internal interference.The signal coming into the home is an analogue signal and not a digital one so signal loss makes a big difference.

The cable you linked me to - is that twisted? It says 'straight through'?
superfreddy37 m ago

The cable you linked me to - is that twisted? It says 'straight through'?

Looks like you have a choice between the belkin cat 5e and BT cable. I would go for the Belkin cat 5e. Probably not a good choice as it looks a bit confusing.

Try

ebay.co.uk/itm…Raw
Original Poster
kester768 m ago

Looks like you have a choice between the belkin cat 5e and BT cable. I …Looks like you have a choice between the belkin cat 5e and BT cable. I would go for the Belkin cat 5e. Probably not a good choice as it looks a bit confusing.Try https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RJ11-HIGH-SPEED-VDSL-FIBRE-BROADBAND-MODEM-ROUTER-CABLE-SOLID-COPPER-CAT5e-RJ45/252087318953?hash=item3ab19339a9:m:m-izWEQ3S7AIdV4zBEiGRaw

That link is for BT though and you said Belkin?
Original Poster
The seller just replied to me. Said the best one to go for is solid copper -

ebay.co.uk/itm…Raw
superfreddy2 h, 3 m ago

The seller just replied to me. Said the best one to go for is solid copper …The seller just replied to me. Said the best one to go for is solid copper - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RJ11-HIGH-SPEED-VDSL-FIBRE-BROADBAND-MODEM-ROUTER-CABLE-SOLID-COPPER-CAT5e-RJ45/252087318953?hash=item3ab19339a9:m:m-izWEQ3S7AIdV4zBEiGRaw

Which is probably true. Copper clad aluminium cables use the bare minimum of copper to meet the recognised standards. However they don’t offer the best quality, though short distances help negate that.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants