Best NAS circa £200- Plex would be bonus

Found 31st Jan
I’m looking for a good nas drive with which i could access media from different PC’s.
Going to be a RAID 1 (2x4tb) array.
The reason for question is: is there any nas which may be more future proof and may be able to transcode videos as plex server; which I want to play around with as have a 4K tv now but I haven’t used plex.
I’d like to thank you all in advance for the kind advice.(y)
Community Updates
AskElectronics
4 Comments
I doubt you’d get a 4K transcoding nas for £200. I run a plex server on a small PC, in the past I have used a terramaster f200 (Link). It worked okay for transcoding and has a plex app.
For 4k and or multiple streams I would say a nas won't cut it alone, especially at your price target. Probably worth you building a media server instead of, or as well as, a nas. I needed to upgrade my media server from a dual thread to a 6+ thread cpu to handle high quality streaming consistently (my aim was 1 4k stream plus 2 remote streams of lower quality at the same time).
Original Poster
delusion5 h, 23 m ago

For 4k and or multiple streams I would say a nas won't cut it alone, …For 4k and or multiple streams I would say a nas won't cut it alone, especially at your price target. Probably worth you building a media server instead of, or as well as, a nas. I needed to upgrade my media server from a dual thread to a 6+ thread cpu to handle high quality streaming consistently (my aim was 1 4k stream plus 2 remote streams of lower quality at the same time).

Dannyrobbo6 h, 22 m ago

I doubt you’d get a 4K transcoding nas for £200. I run a plex server on a …I doubt you’d get a 4K transcoding nas for £200. I run a plex server on a small PC, in the past I have used a terramaster f200 (Link). It worked okay for transcoding and has a plex app.

I do have a gaming pc and other PC's I may be able to use for transcoding. Would it work alongside the terramaster you suggested?
I point my pc at my nas to store the films, however if you are using a pc maybe just get a hdd and store them there and leave the nas out of it, that or a USB array they are half the price of a nas
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants