Best online portable drive for console

Posted 20th Sep
I'm trying to find a cheap storage drive for Xbox. ours is filled. was 500mb so 500mb or 1tb will do nicely. can't see the recently posted 2tb available. not looking for store stock as highly unlikely to locate any so does anyone know a good site for a portable drive? I imagine it needs to be 7200rpm for read /write speeds.?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
Definitely go for a 2tb if you can, you'll fill a smaller drive fairly easily. I'd just grab something along the lines of this :

amazon.co.uk/Sea…E5S
2TB offboard will give you 1.8 or so useable space after formatting as I recall from my seagate unit.
AndyRoyd20/09/2019 19:40

500mb? Regardless, 500GB £9.50 delivered 2 year warranty …500mb? Regardless, 500GB £9.50 delivered 2 year warranty https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=shddif02ab&categoryName=hard-drives-2.5-inch&superCatName=computing&title=500-gb-2.5"-sata-hard-drive plus £3.95 dlvd USB3 enclosure https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282045027590

ha, yep good spot, 500gb., would you use a hdd from cex? history unknown of the device, the 2year warranty is nice but not losing the games and having to re-download them all again
Does the enclosure allow for power by USB from the console? or requires additional power?
t3rm3y20/09/2019 21:50

ha, yep good spot, 500gb., would you use a hdd from cex? history unknown …ha, yep good spot, 500gb., would you use a hdd from cex? history unknown of the device, the 2year warranty is nice but not losing the games and having to re-download them all again Does the enclosure allow for power by USB from the console? or requires additional power?

I'd have no issue with a CEX drive at that price, and I'd be more disappointed if I'd paid multiple times more for a new drive that subsequently failed, but generally immaterial if you have appropriate backup regime. Portable drives are powered from the client (console), well below USB max power draw spec.
t3rm3y20/09/2019 21:50

ha, yep good spot, 500gb., would you use a hdd from cex? history unknown …ha, yep good spot, 500gb., would you use a hdd from cex? history unknown of the device, the 2year warranty is nice but not losing the games and having to re-download them all again Does the enclosure allow for power by USB from the console? or requires additional power?

Just curious, why do you only want a 500gb drive? That's really not very much storage at all these days for a console.
Haircut_10020/09/2019 22:07

Just curious, why do you only want a 500gb drive? That's really not very …Just curious, why do you only want a 500gb drive? That's really not very much storage at all these days for a console.

cos we have only just filled the consoles 500gb. we dont play many games, so seems silly to spend a lot of money o na 2tb drive when a 500gb will probably suffice.
im assuming that we can use existing internal storage and the external storage side by side??
Edited by: "t3rm3y" 20th Sep
If you are insistent on lower capacity then you need to format it (when connected t Xbox you'll be asked to name it).

Then that will suck a chunk of memory, then you are likely best transferring as much as you can over to free up the actual onboard drive again (so it doesn't keep getting the "memory full" message.

Games ARE BIG these days, an update can be 16 -30GB in one hit, so i'd go 2 TB as I mentioned earlier, a game is bound to catch you out sooner or later that you like but even several yeas down the line they are tweaking it, then there's add ons etc.

Basically it makes sense to have a buffer space so you don't keep hitting the wall all the time, if finances allow, & if I may offer a comparison for you to mull over, how much is a 2 GB memory card now? ..it becomes an expensive non mainstream item in terms of cost compared to something with 8x capacity, ...because in the main they are pumping out the larger numbers affecting the price, ..so unless you've got a real deal in your sights for the lower capacity HDD then you may wish to reconsider as black friday etc approaches & make comparisons then & hit it up for best price vs memory ratio.
Thanks gus,I will keep an eye on a 2tb drive, im hopign the wd outlet store has them again at ~£33
in the mean time ,i have found a WD blue 500gb intenral laptop drive from my work laptop, this was replaced with a ssd, soooo.. It will need wiping, but could i use a sata3 to usb cable i.e sata 3 cable and reformat fro ma PC< then add to the xbox one to format again. at least i can temp free up space and then get a new 2tb (which I assume i can then transfer the data between the old 500gb external over to the new 2tb when needed?)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants