Best order to decorate a room / house

Found 6th Mar 2016
Have decided to spruce up the house a bit and cant decide on the best order to decorate each room.. e.g when to remove/fix new skirtings, when to remove/fit new carpet, walls, ceiling? first time Ive decided to rip everything back so any advice is welcome.
Community Updates
AskDecorating
9 Comments
I would personal go by doing one room at a time.

1st rip everything out. Then fill in holes and cracks in plaster. Sand it down. If fitting carpet skirting 1st. chalk skirting. then paint walls. paint skirting. carpet last.

easy
if your fitting laminate floor put this down before skirting
Paint the ceiling first, After filling any cracks etc.
decorate hallway/stairs last as it will most probably get marked while doing rest of house.
I'm a decorator and hate when it when someone wants the whole house done at once, it can be a nightmare .Do one room at a time moving furniture to other rooms and get as much out as you can . I can put large items into the center and cover with dust sheets . I like full access around the room walls .Start with the ceiling first and work down .Prepare walls and wood work leaving the any papering till last . Preparation is the key to a good job , make sure all woodwork is sanded ,undercoated & glossed and I don't like water based paints.
Make a bit of a list before you start , like colours of paint's etc and shop around for prices .
ricko

I'm a decorator and hate when it when someone wants the whole house done … I'm a decorator and hate when it when someone wants the whole house done at once, it can be a nightmare .Do one room at a time moving furniture to other rooms and get as much out as you can . I can put large items into the center and cover with dust sheets . I like full access around the room walls .Start with the ceiling first and work down .Prepare walls and wood work leaving the any papering till last . Preparation is the key to a good job , make sure all woodwork is sanded ,undercoated & glossed and I don't like water based paints.Make a bit of a list before you start , like colours of paint's etc and shop around for prices .

​I bought some water based gloss 3 years ago and when painting it on it was like painting milk on but the finish and colour was amazing and its still white til this day but when I used a solvent based gloss it started yellowing after a year
Yes ,agree it might stay white , but it can chip and scratch . Door edges or corners for instance can easily be chipped and can be scratched with a ring . Solvent based paint is a lot tougher.
ricko

Yes ,agree it might stay white , but it can chip and scratch . Door edges … Yes ,agree it might stay white , but it can chip and scratch . Door edges or corners for instance can easily be chipped and can be scratched with a ring . Solvent based paint is a lot tougher.

​Plus it smells nice. oO
Always start from the top, ceiling, walls, skirting and frame doors
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants