Best outdoor sound recorder for recording factory noise.

Posted 11th Jun 2020
Hi, just wondering if anyone can advise what type of sound recorder that we need to record noise from a factory near our house for evidence as we have put in a noise complaint and need to record for at least 8 hours whilst the factory is working. What should we be looking for in terms of specs please?
Thanks....not too expensive either.
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
I thought the council would have their own equipment they'd set up?

Decent sound monitoring equipment is very expensive in my experience
If you have a noise complaint the onus is on the factory to complete noise monitoring even off site contact the council and Evironment agency. Who told you to monitor noise for 8 hours and record it?
Yes the council have their own sound recorder but the company were forewarned and the noise check was drastically less for the week. As soon as the week was over, the noise ramped back up. So we have been advised to record at least 8 hours worth of noise for our complaint to stand. We asked if we could use their equipment but it’s £1000 for 3 hours!!! So we are looking for a cheaper recorder to do it ourselves.
It's still not your responsibility. Its down to the E.A.. Do you know what's causing the noise? its easier to put the case across if you can say its fan noise or forklifts reversing at night etc. you could use an app on your phone it would suffice for you needs if you really feel the need to record it.

I use Bosch INVH app at work for spot monitoring works ok until I can get the works services in, I get quite a lot of noise complaints for various reasons.
Edited by: "sillyoldbear" 11th Jun
Mia1011/06/2020 09:45

Yes the council have their own sound recorder but the company were …Yes the council have their own sound recorder but the company were forewarned and the noise check was drastically less for the week. As soon as the week was over, the noise ramped back up. So we have been advised to record at least 8 hours worth of noise for our complaint to stand. We asked if we could use their equipment but it’s £1000 for 3 hours!!! So we are looking for a cheaper recorder to do it ourselves.

your own equiptment wont help, the council will have to hear the noise or put recording machines in your house. They wont accept anything you do. We were plagued by a dog barking in the middle of the night, they wouldnt even look at videos and said the only way would be as I said them hearing the noise which is impossible during the night or recordin. A year later they hadnt set up the recording devices, even after escalating and eventually the dog learned it had to live outside at night and stopped.
Ask the council planning department for their approved list of independent sound recorder people that they recognise.
This is required quite a lot where planning is sought , but is near to a busy road etc.(same principle for your case).
We had to do this a few years back.
They may not accept your own recording.
How on earth did the factory get tipped off they were being investigated? Did the Council inform them there had been a complaint?

Do you mean the Council want to charge you for using their equipment? But you were going to use it anyway? I thought they just send a noise-abatement Officer out to investigate and see if there is a basis for complaint? I watched a TV programme where a couple were living opposite a noisy takeaway but the Council deemed it acceptable. They had a guy visit and observe (listen) to the noise level. Can your council not do that?

Did you move to the location - or has the factory appeared AFTER you were living there?
Post a comment
@
    Text